Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

OK, here is where Linux loses me

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

riggsre

riggsre

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 899 posts

If the computer isn't smart enough to know which one I need, I certainly am not...

cid_76_zps3e2f4323.jpg

• slacker, sjprg, Dahaka and 1 other like this

w83qzd.png

Las Vegas, USA.gif

Dahaka

Dahaka

Backup & HDD Tools Moderator

• 3,612 posts

what distro are you using?? Normally, every "desktop-style" distro, based on Ubuntu somehow, has a software manager, an app manager, or a software center - where you can type "flash player" and select it to be installed.

• slacker and Netzork like this

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Gamer with needs lol

• Global Moderator
  • 2,690 posts

Yes, what is the distro, I use ubuntu for my main system and lubuntu on a very old laptop (since the gui is much lighter on a 512MB system). If you can install a program from the "software center", you have to DL the correct version for your distro and then run what is basically CMD for linux and install it in the command line process.

• Netzork likes this

2wpiemh.png

riggsre

riggsre

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 899 posts

You just reinforced my point... What?

• dave, slacker, Haich and 1 other like this

w83qzd.png

Las Vegas, USA.gif

SWebbIT

SWebbIT

Security Software Moderator

• 299 posts
How To Know Which Linux Distribution You Are Using? 

Here are a few ways to find out which linux distro you are using :

• From the Boot Time messages
    Fire up your favourite terminal program and type in the following

dmesg | head -1

The output would be similar to

Linux version 2.6.13-15-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.0.2 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005

• Using /proc/version
    In the terminal type

cat /proc/version

The output would be like

Linux version 2.6.13-15-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.0.2 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux)) #1 Tue Sep 13 14:56:15 UTC 2005

• Using /etc/issue
    This method gives the most appropriate answer

cat /etc/issue

The output should be like

Welcome to SUSE LINUX 10.0 (i586) - Kernel \r (\l).

P.S : You may try this shell script to know about your Linux Distribution. The original source is here

• dave, slacker and Netzork like this

153057p.png

riggsre

riggsre

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 899 posts

I've tried to use Linux several times but almost immediately I run across something I do all the time in Windows 7 that I can't do in Linux. Then I read another post about how "Windows like" this or that distribution is so I try it again with similar results. I've loaded Ubuntu, Mint, Extreme Edition, Elementary OS and several others but very soon I get frustrated and delete it. I'm pretty good with computers; not all that some of you guys and gals are but I get by. Until Linux is less of a hacker OS it will never challenge window's market share, not even close.

Question; do you peeps that use Linux find Windows as hard to use as I find Linux?

It's not that I "like" windows, I really wish that there was another OS that we could use to really put the fear in M$ so they would listen to us. Also those of us that have to use Windows because our business applications only work in IE are stuck with it.

Here is another example: I did what SWebbIT suggested (thank you) and found out this one is based on Ubuntu.. great. Then I goggled "does Ubuntu use .rpm" and found out, no  it uses .deb. Excellent. Back to the flash install.. Uh-oh, no .deb on the list. Crap... frustrated - quit.

Like I said I'm not afraid of computers so if I really want to, I'll figure it out. But how could I expect my 80 year old mother-in-law to figure it out. Not happening.

• Gyrxiur, dave, slacker and 2 others like this

w83qzd.png

Las Vegas, USA.gif

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,612 posts

Ubuntu actually has a software center and in that software center flash player is listed. So if you're using Ubuntu and it has a software center it's how you install stuff in Linux. :)

Linux is not Windows. It does not work like Windows does. It's not meant to do so. It may emulate similar Windows behaviour. 8) 

Since you're interested in trying a Linux OS that works a little more like Windows, try the link in my signature, NetRunner is the best to replace a Windows desktop OS at the moment - and I say that after using it a lot and having a dedicated PC with it as an OS -  I use that PC to buy things online - it's secure and I find it quite reliable. ;)

• BunnyJ and Netzork like this

riggsre

riggsre

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 899 posts

Thanks, but like me you have to use Windows for your real work.

• Netzork likes this

w83qzd.png

Las Vegas, USA.gif

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,612 posts

Thanks, but like me you have to use Windows for your real work.

Nope, I don't have to. I could use NetRunner for days, weeks if needed, without touching my Windows systems.

The fact that I am a part of this community where Windows is the main topic, I have to use it in order to test things out and report things back here, but on the usability side - I seriously found the Linux "counterparts" of the software I use on Windows.

• Netzork likes this

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Gamer with needs lol

• Global Moderator
  • 2,690 posts

Linux (ubuntu) anyway, is trying to get everyday users to it, why some are adding a software center app now. It install and does all the command line stuff for you. Windows in a way is still more user friendly GUI wise and not a lot of CMD stuff to work in, but with any linux distro. You will be working on the command line around once a week or more. Linux still has a high learning curve but for anyone that just does not want to use windows or OSX and have the time to learn it its a very nice OS and good replacement that you can do just about anything and with "wine" you can run most windows apps/games. If you cant find a good replacement that is linux based.

• dave, Dahaka and Netzork like this

2wpiemh.png

MrRoo

MrRoo

• BW9 Donator +
  • 34 posts

Netrunner certainly comes with all the so called essentials like Flash, Skype and for game players Steam.

That again is based on Debian with  extra package installer from KDE. (KDE seem to always give very Clean interfaces and the programs just seem to work every time)

I've started using the new Mint petra  Mate edition , I tried the Cinnamon interface but it stops a lot of Gnome stuff from working.

To install programs it has it's own software centre which is easy to use plus Synaptic installer which again automatically gets all the dependences for a given program without you having to do a thing except accept their recommendations.

Keep persevering with Linux it keeps the brain ticking over but even I'm too scared to go to an Arch distribution. 

• Dahaka and Netzork like this

Posted Image

strutter

strutter

Sr Member

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 425 posts

The only issue I had with Netrunner is, for the life of me I can't figure out why it only runs on 1.4ghz of my 4ghz processor.

• Netzork likes this

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,612 posts

The only issue I had with Netrunner is, for the life of me I can't figure out why it only runs on 1.4ghz of my 4ghz processor.

have you tried asking on the official site about it? they have great forums... ;)

What CPU do you have?

• Netzork likes this

strutter

strutter

Sr Member

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 425 posts

have you tried asking on the official site about it? they have great forums... ;)

What CPU do you have?

I run amd fx-6100 six core...yeah I've checked the site but have yet to find an answer

• Netzork likes this

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,612 posts

I run amd fx-6100 six core...yeah I've checked the site but have yet to find an answer

Have you tried another Debian based distro? - I'm curious to know whether this is a Linux kernel issue or just a distro build issue. You should ask Starbuck, the main developer, about it.

• strutter, dave, Maxed and 1 other like this

strutter

strutter

Sr Member

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 425 posts

Have you tried another Debian based distro? - I'm curious to know whether this is a Linux kernel issue or just a distro build issue. You should ask Starbuck, the main developer, about it.

Yes, I have and this is a running issue I have found.

• Dahaka and Netzork like this

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,612 posts

Thanks for reporting it - I believe "more-than-4-cores" CPUs are still like an exotic piece of hardware for these distros - it's a driver thing - my opinion - yeah, I know, I never heard about special CPU drivers (beside those that come with the OS) either, let alone drivers for Linux based distros - but I believe that would be the  way to deal with this issue. NetRunner 13.12 is "in-the-works" - maybe that version will "see" your CPU as it should.

• strutter and Netzork like this

nyxclusive1

nyxclusive1

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 37 posts

Try linux mint it's the best crossover from Windows to Linux and you can extract the distro find the mint4windows file in the extracted folder and install directly from windows just like you would regular software and have both systems running side by side. You can uninstall as you please without worry about partition or boot fixing after. :) Works great I can add some screenshots if you like?

• dave, cognizione and Netzork like this

BW9loverSmall_zps4a7056be.png

dhjohns

dhjohns

• BW9 Donator +
  • 5,954 posts

Basically, it comes down to this:  Linux is not ready for normal use.  I have tried out many, many distros including Mint, and eventually, in the first few minutes, I come to the realization that in Windows I could actually be installing something by now instead of trying to figure out why I can't do something I should be able to do.  Plus, I really really do not like to enter my password 17 times in the first minute!  Sorry Linux users, when it is up to speed I will try it again!

• Haich, xpdualcore, BunnyJ and 1 other like this

2vcxocp.png

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,612 posts

Or just try out the new NetRunner 13.12 right here:

http://www.win7vista...1312-enigma-ii/

• Netzork likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users