Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hi-Grade Computer

Laptop win vista

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

elmondo

elmondo

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 359 posts

Hi all.

What is the best Windows Vista Home OEM to use on a Hi-Grade laptop Computer as I need to try and boot one up to see whats wrong, as It wont boot off of the hard drive?

2643nde.png
Use my link to get a free sharing of files with a Minus Account!!

http://min.us/rJlOSOa

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,644 posts

Probably depend on who makes the laptop? What's the link for, an image... I saw nothing.

Anyway I don't think you have to use an OEM version just because it's a laptop. Unless UEFI forces an OEM? Although I've never had a problem with UEFI on my homebuilds but new laptops may be different? I use retail Windows 7 on my old Dell laptop.

o89e9t.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,649 posts

With an OEM laptop try F8 option and look for "Repair my Computer" at the top of your options list or safe mode & try System Restore.

dave%20green%20sig.png

DefCon420

DefCon420

The Artist Formely Known As Error: Unknown

• Administrators
  • 2,258 posts

Hi all.

What is the best Windows Vista Home OEM to use on a Hi-Grade laptop Computer as I need to try and boot one up to see whats wrong, as It wont boot off of the hard drive?

can you describe the process you do see when you power on the laptop? example: power own, see manufacturer logo during computer posting, see vista splash screen for loading. also list any errors display when attempting to boot if you see any.

as for which vista disc to use, you can use any image because the serial key you provide will only affect how the install gets licensed. the oem discs can accept retail keys on install. since it is a laptop, just grab an aio (all in one) vista disc, burn image, then select the appropriate version that matches the sticker on the laptop that has your serial key (microsoft certificate of authenticity - has holographic parts to the sticker).

Before you go through the process of doing a fresh install, it would be better to see what is wrong with the pc first.

• dave, cognizione, elmondo and 1 other like this

kbrfgUz.png

https://twitter.com/DefCon_420

Snapchat: defcon420

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,649 posts

Yeap, there are light and/or beep codes for each OEM's BIOS and tell you a lot bout lt. Good thunking EU! 

I shoulda remembered back 3 whole weeks ago that this helped me to find a bad stick of RAM, when other techs were saying the motherboard was cooked on a laptop. 

• cognizione and Maxed like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Gamer with needs lol

• Global Moderator
  • 2,695 posts

Yes, what exactly are you getting on boot? Boot beep code, or error code on MB (if you board supports that mine does), and or blue screen. Also, once you do figure out the problem. I would go with win7 for your system. If its your want to stay with a valid serial key let me know. I think i still have a few activations left on one of mine for win7 pro.

Edited by GothicDeath, 13 March 2014 - 01:50 AM.

• dave likes this

2wpiemh.png

elmondo

elmondo

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 359 posts

can you describe the process you do see when you power on the laptop? example: power own, see manufacturer logo during computer posting, see vista splash screen for loading. also list any errors display when attempting to boot if you see any.

as for which vista disc to use, you can use any image because the serial key you provide will only affect how the install gets licensed. the oem discs can accept retail keys on install. since it is a laptop, just grab an aio (all in one) vista disc, burn image, then select the appropriate version that matches the sticker on the laptop that has your serial key (microsoft certificate of authenticity - has holographic parts to the sticker).

Before you go through the process of doing a fresh install, it would be better to see what is wrong with the pc first.

I think it is the hard drive but I urgently need a copy of "vista home premium" iso so I can try this system on an old hard drive

P.S Hold back a mo....I have use the spare hard rive in my caddy linked into my system and made the drive a raw one, now win 7 seems to be loading....I will get back to you all soon..

P.P.S...I was able to load win 7 on the system. (and run)..BUT, in device manager it is looking for "Base System Driver" ?. I can get on the internet but windows updates just hangs....This is doing my head in>

Edited by elmondo, 13 March 2014 - 11:43 AM.

2643nde.png

DefCon420

DefCon420

The Artist Formely Known As Error: Unknown

• Administrators
  • 2,258 posts

on first desktop appearence, you should install the chipset drivers (motherboard driver), reboot, install graphics driver, reboot, install lan driver, then try windows update.

Sometimes installs do not go smoothly and the system will behave strangely no matter what you try. try a reinstall if that happens, and if a reinstall is still acting funny, try to new burn of the iso and then fresh install again.

there can be any number of reasons why a fresh install will behave oddly

• cognizione and elmondo like this

kbrfgUz.png

https://twitter.com/DefCon_420

Snapchat: defcon420

elmondo

elmondo

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 359 posts

on first desktop appearence, you should install the chipset drivers (motherboard driver), reboot, install graphics driver, reboot, install lan driver, then try windows update.

Sometimes installs do not go smoothly and the system will behave strangely no matter what you try. try a reinstall if that happens, and if a reinstall is still acting funny, try to new burn of the iso and then fresh install again.

there can be any number of reasons why a fresh install will behave oddly

This system now boots but hangs when a  usb try's to load ie avg program....it hangs...or if I go to the internet to download divers from the internet  system still hangs  :banghead:  It as to be down to the cheep and nasty make "Hi-Grade" computer sysyem.

2643nde.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,649 posts

You can goto any unknown device and Google the HardwareID # for that device to see what it actually is.

Select your unknown device Right click and select Properties > Details tab > Property dropdown & select Hardware Ids.

Google your 1st value. Must driver sites that come up in your Google search are selling something, so just goto the Manufacturer site and get the correct driver once identified.

Hardware%20ID.PNG

• elmondo and Maxed like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

• Global Moderator
  • 3,697 posts

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, repair your Vista system?  Hiren's CD (free) or use FalconFour's Ultimate Boot CD ( free and it also has Hirens) will have the necessary tools to make a backup befor you do any real work.  After that, any old Vista DVD will give you tools to see what's going in and check your drive.  Using a Windows 7 DVD will mix things up severely if you are not careful.

Now, if you are saying Hi-Grade is a brand name OEM machine, you are installing a new HD, then you must get the same Vista system you already had and use the serial number on the tag on the back to not run into trouble.  You don't already have it on a hidden partition?  Jump on over to your OEM web page for support/drivers if you have internet access on another machine and also get any of their programs that came along with the machine if you want.  All done?  Install Microsoft Security Essentials and run Windows Update till there are no more available.

• elmondo and Maxed like this

1zbfi1f.jpg

elmondo

elmondo

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 359 posts

I'm not sure what you are trying to do, repair your Vista system?  Hiren's CD (free) or use FalconFour's Ultimate Boot CD ( free and it also has Hirens) will have the necessary tools to make a backup befor you do any real work.  After that, any old Vista DVD will give you tools to see what's going in and check your drive.  Using a Windows 7 DVD will mix things up severely if you are not careful.

Now, if you are saying Hi-Grade is a brand name OEM machine, you are installing a new HD, then you must get the same Vista system you already had and use the serial number on the tag on the back to not run into trouble.  You don't already have it on a hidden partition?  Jump on over to your OEM web page for support/drivers if you have internet access on another machine and also get any of their programs that came along with the machine if you want.  All done?  Install Microsoft Security Essentials and run Windows Update till there are no more available.

All sorted now  :headbang:  my mate used his paid account with "DriverMax" and installed the two missing driver, the system is now running well thanks all for the help.

This can now be marked up as solved.  :)

P.S

This is now running Win7 LOL 

Edited by elmondo, 17 March 2014 - 10:06 AM.

• dave likes this

2643nde.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users