Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Is this allowed?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

KC13

KC13

• Members
  • 24 posts

I have a HP laptop that originally came with Windows Vista. It has a licence sticker on the bottom. The hard drive and it's restore partition took a permanent vacation. Would it be alright to track down a version of Vista that is the same as the laptop came with and install it on a new hard drive or would a new licenced version be the correct way to go?

• Snuffy and Maxed like this

Posted Image

riggsre

riggsre

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 908 posts

You already own the license. A OEM version should work. It may be brand specific... anyone?

• dhjohns and Maxed like this

d3n5KMLq.png

Las Vegas, NV USA

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,988 posts

You should be fine installing a retail version that came with the laptop using the sticker key on the same laptop.

You MAY be required to activate using phone home method. 

How to activate Windows Vista

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940315

• Snuffy, cognizione, Tetley and 3 others like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

Sorry, my 3,384 images hosted with Dropbox will no longer show.

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 15,036 posts

Also this might be helpful.

http://windows.micro...C=windows-vista

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 1 other like this

PM07fvlP.png

KC13

KC13

• Members
  • 24 posts

Thanks all!! Having two old laptops brought into the modern era would be nice. Had to use an old XP CD I had to get the Vista one running again. As the budget this year is bleak, I opted for Windows 7 for one and relegated the other XP equiped one to paperweight status. These HP dv9000 series laptops ARE singlehandedly responsible for global warming so I have to run a table fan blowing directly onto them when I use them. :histerija:

• dave and Maxed like this

Posted Image

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 15,036 posts

Yes, I had a couple of older ACERS that put old plenty of HEAT. finally removed the back cover .... removed the CPU Cooler and removed all the crud from  it, then replaced ... then found that by velcro a 1.5" balsa to the battery, it raised it enough to be easier to type, and also allowed more air to the HEAT was not so bad....

so light weight addon make things easier to use. and not so HOT

• dave, slacker and Maxed like this

PM07fvlP.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,988 posts

Yes, I had a couple of older ACERS that put old plenty of HEAT. finally removed the back cover .... removed the CPU Cooler and removed all the crud from  it, then replaced ... then found that by velcro a 1.5" balsa to the battery, it raised it enough to be easier to type, and also allowed more air to the HEAT was not so bad....

so light weight addon make things easier to use. and not so HOT

I've seen people put their laptops on beds with blankets (vs a hard surface) with the blankets covering the intakes, and wonder why their laptop felt hotter all of a sudden. Table placemats are another culprit.  ;)

• slacker, cognizione, dhjohns and 3 others like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

Sorry, my 3,384 images hosted with Dropbox will no longer show.

Maxed

Maxed

SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 8,855 posts

I've seen people put their laptops on beds with blankets (vs a hard surface) with the blankets covering the intakes, and wonder why their laptop felt hotter all of a sudden. Table placemats are another culprit.  ;)

Cooler pads are nice for for any Laptop I don't know how many laptops that Kids I have know did just that think they can run the laptops on the blankets and leave them running 24/7 = Parents buying new laptops. :histerija: :histerija:

• dave, slacker, cognizione and 1 other like this

YOHAE9jH.png

Maxed

Maxed

SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 8,855 posts

Talking about laptops - my friend said his was acting up being slow etc (the norm) - so i told him to install Speccy by Piriform to check the temps - and guess what - 88-90 on the CPU and 90-94 on the motherboard :histerija:

Hot potatoes :histerija: :mrgreen:

• dave, slacker and Danielx64 like this

YOHAE9jH.png

Danielx64

Danielx64

• Global Moderator
  • 1,510 posts

I have a HP laptop that originally came with Windows Vista. It has a licence sticker on the bottom. The hard drive and it's restore partition took a permanent vacation. Would it be alright to track down a version of Vista that is the same as the laptop came with and install it on a new hard drive or would a new licenced version be the correct way to go?

Not so long ago I put a new harddrive in my Mum's laptop and I used my retail windows 7 x64 to put the OEM version back on. No issues at all :)

• dave, Tetley and Maxed like this

pFAfoZEK.png

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Gamer with needs lol

• Global Moderator
  • 2,760 posts

Also, just dont forget all the fun version of Vista the MS made, so make sure you install the right one. IE Pro, Home Prem and so forth or key will not work no matter what. But if you can. I would go over to win7. I hated vista when it can out and i was working IBM and still hate it now. It was like ME or the OS worlds.

• Maxed likes this

2wpiemh.png

dhjohns

dhjohns

Exalted

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,329 posts

Also, just dont forget all the fun version of Vista the MS made, so make sure you install the right one. IE Pro, Home Prem and so forth or key will not work no matter what. But if you can. I would go over to win7. I hated vista when it can out and i was working IBM and still hate it now. It was like ME or the OS worlds.

Actually, the later service packs of Vista were fine.  Also, Windows Me was cool as shit.  For me, and my tech friends it was VERY stable.  I never had a problem with it.  I felt that it was the epitome of the Windows 98 releases.  The cream of the crop!

Edited by dhjohns, 14 June 2014 - 03:22 PM.

• cognizione and GothicDeath like this

WQzxyjG7.png

KC13

KC13

• Members
  • 24 posts

if you can. I would go over to win7.

Would that I could, but finances won't allow that. I already blew too much on my first copy of Win7. My tummy expects to see something on the kitchen table other than computer parts! :biggrin:

• elmondo and GothicDeath like this

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users