Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Current Rig and upgrade idea

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Hottwire

Hottwire

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 280 posts

So i currently have the following 2 pc's

Older one (as a 'server')

Case: Antec 300

Motherboard: Asus P5QL Pro

CPU: Intel Quad 2.4Ghz

Memory: Geil DDR2 4Gb (4x1Gb)
Hard Drive: Hitachi 500gb

Graphics : some old Nvidia one.

OS: Server 2012 (DHCP, DNS, AD) with Debian Wheezy (virtualised) (Web & FTP)

I really ripped the old pc apart and gave bits away for a minimalist pc.

Current PC:

Case: Antec1200 V3

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 Pro

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition

Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler

Memory: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Blue (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-15000C9 1866MHz

Graphics: Was a Radeon HD 6870 replaced last month with a Radeon R9 280X Sapphire Vapor.

Hard Drive: System (C:\) 500Gb Data (D:\) Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm, 2Tb Samsung Spinpoint 5400tpm, Games  (E:\) 1Tb 7200rpm Samsung Spinpoint

Thinking of buying this as the server one is dying/dead and my current one isn't up to the challenge anymore:

I usually build my own system but I really don't want to mess with water and also don't have as much free time with my job to do so anymore.

Case: Azza Fusion 4000 Super Full-Tower 2-in-1 Gaming Case w/ Dual System Support, Dual PSU Support, 1x 140mm & 2x 120mm Fans, Front USB 3.0, HDD Easy Swap, 480MM Liquid Cooling Ready

Freebies: None

Lights & Illumination: NONE

Extra Case Fan Upgrade: 3 x 120mm Silent Case Cooling Fans in selected case key areas for ultra silent operation (500-1,200 RPM Sharkoon Silent Eagle SE 120mm Modular Fans with Dimple Surface Blade and Twister Bearing 8-14 dBA (Custom PC Award Winning !!))

Cyberpower Noise Reduction Technology: Cyberpower Sound Absorbing Foam -- reducing audible noise transmitted through solid case panels by up to 75%, and more(2)

CPU: INTEL® Core™ i7-4930K Six-Core 3.40 GHz 12MB INTEL Smart Cache LGA2011 ***Overclockable XXX***

Overclocking Service: No Overclocking

Overclock Monitoring and Media Server Station or Overclocking Media Server Station: INTEL Core I3-4130, 8GB Kingston HyperX Blu 1600Mhz, 2TB SATA III 7200RMP HDD, ASUS H87I-Plus MB, Windows 8.1 64Bit & FSP 300W uATX PSU 80plus

Cooling Fan: Cyberpower Advanced WaterCooling INTEL Medium Kit (Including 240m Radiator, 750res Pump/Reservoir, Rosa CPU Block, High CFM Fans, Tubing, and Coolant) ***Overclockable XXX*** (White Tubing - Medium)

Coolant for Cyberpower Advance WaterCooling Kits: High-Performance Non Conductive Coolant powered by Thermochill (UV Blue Colour)

Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme INTEL X79 Chipset, 3-Way SLI / Crossfire, 4 Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ 8 RAM slots, ROG Connect, ROG UEFI Bios, BT GO, 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 5 Gen3 PCIe X16 & 1 PCIe X1 ***Overclockable XXX***

Internal USB/SATA Expansion Module: NONE

Memory: 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3/1600mhz Quad Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Blu w/Heat Spreader)

Video Card: AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD) Will Crossfire with my current 280X

Free Game Coupons: AMD NEVER SETTLE FOREVER GOLD: 3 Free Games

Power Supply Upgrade: 1000 Watts Power Supplies (Corsair 1000 Watts RM1000 Gold 80+ Modular Gaming Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready)

Hard Drive: 500GB Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache WD5000HHTZ (Single Hard Drive)

Secondary Hard Drive: 1TB Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache WD1000dhtz (Single Hard Drive)

Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-209DBK 16X BLU-RAY Burner & 16X DVD±R/±RW Drive (please select the Blue Ray software in the Software section)

Sound: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

Network: ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT -- As standard on all PCs

USB Port: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

Ultra Care Option: Arctic Silver 5 - Thermal Compound Optimized for Thermal Dissipation, and more(2)

Operating System: NONE - FORMAT HARD DRIVE ONLY(NO OVERCLOCKING AVALIABLE)

Will then add 2 4TB HDD's to this system in RAID for my data.

What do you all think?

Here's a  pic of what the case looks like:

10_400.jpg

Edited by Hottwire, 08 July 2014 - 03:54 PM.

• slacker and Tetley like this

2nk7u55.png

sjprg

sjprg

GFX & Images Related Software Expert

• Global Moderator
  • 1,810 posts

Wait 3 more months. Current SSD prices are dropping rapidly as the new PCIe drives are coming on line. NVMe devices are going to be looking at 1600-3200 GB/s transfer rates compared to 120 max for HDs.

Don't use hard drives!!! Go to SSD! Try SSDs in your old computers BEFORE you replace it. You may find out that you don't need to replace it after installing SSDs.  This is a cheaper approach and the SSDs can be moved to a newer computer later if you find that you do want to replace the computer. See some of the discussions on BW9.

• Neige, dave, slacker and 1 other like this

Posted Image
Paul

Neige

Neige

Marketing Department

• Administrators
  • 3,587 posts

Raptor are great drives but SSD are better for OS drives.

I use Raptor drives for Virtual Machines but I do admit that I also use a SSD drive for VM's and it's blazing fast.

I would better stay off the Raptor and ask them to fix 2 WD Black 3/4 TB for storage.

N:)

• dave, slacker, cognizione and 1 other like this

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,647 posts

I like the Raptor drives but they are charging as much (close enough) as an equivalent size SSD. I was going to get a larger Raptor until I saw the prices... no way... I would rather get another SSD.

• Neige, dave, cognizione and 1 other like this

o89e9t.png

sjprg

sjprg

• Global Moderator
  • 1,810 posts
I just noticed that you are not planning to use water cooling. I would recommend using the Corsair H-120 self contained unit. Corsair makes a case that allows top mounting of the fans. I just cut a hole in the top of my old case to allow inserting the cooling block and cables and mounted the fans on top. I'm a big believer that hot air should be exhausted upward, so I do recommend the Corsair cases. I run my I7-3770K at 4200Ghz and even under full load the highest temperature I have seen is 56C. Current SSD prices are around $440 + local tax for a 1TB Samsung 840EVOs. I just bought another for my HP laptop.
Again I suggesting wait a few months as the whole SSD world is changing.
  • Neige, dave and Maxed like this

Posted Image
Paul

Hottwire

Hottwire

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 280 posts

I just don't trust the whole (limited) read/write system that SSD's have yet....
Also wanted to RAID the 2 4TB drives I will be adding for storage. 
In terms of water cooling it may well save me some money and like you said it's only the CPU as the Graphics cards won't need water cooling as I don't have the money to spend on water cooling them. 

These are the options for water cooling:

Air Cooling

INTEL CPU Cooler 

Cooler Master Hyper 412S Cooling CPU Cooler 

Be Quiet Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler 
120mm-140mm Liquid Cooling

Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler 

Cooler Master Seidon 120M Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler 

Corsair Hydro Series H55 Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler 

Corsair Hydro Series H60 Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler 

240mm-280mm Liquid Cooling

Corsair Hydro Series H100 (OEM) Liquid Cooling CPU Cooler 

Cyberpower Advanced WaterCooling INTEL Medium Kit 

CP Advanced MKII INTEL Medium Kit 

360mm and higher Liquid Cooling

Cyberpower Advanced WaterCooling INTEL Large Kit 

CP Advanced MKII INTEL Large Kit 

Please note "Cyberpower Advanced Water Cooling Kit" option is built for Performance, and thus not a silent option.

Would the H100 suffice instead of what i originally quoted?

I mean if someone can give me a decent case for SSD then I would go for the following:

250/300GB System (SSD)
Need at least 1Tb for my games.
And as above want 2x 4TB for my music/films/documents alike.

At the moment I will be waiting a couple more months to save to buy in one purchase rather than on finance. 

Just looking at the site today they've removed the azza fusion 4000 for now :( but hopefully they will bring it back!

Furthermore here is the list of primary Hard drives 

Sata III Hard Drives
500GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive) 
1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive) 
2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200rpm Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive) 
Western Digital High Performance Hard Drives
500GB WD Black WD5003AZEX SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
1TB WD Black WD1003FZEX SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
2TB WD Black WD2003FZEX SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200rpm Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive) 
500GB Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache WD5000HHTZ (Single Hard Drive) 
1TB Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache WD1000dhtz (Single Hard Drive) 
Western Digital Black² 1TB HDD 120GB SSD Dual Drive (Single Hard Drive)
Seagate SSD Hybrid Drives
1TB Seagate Hybrid Gen3 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 5400RPM SSHD (Single Hard Drive) 
2TB Seagate Hybrid Gen3 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 5400RPM SSHD (Single Hard Drive) 
Solid State Drives Sata III
128 GB Corsair Series GS SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (256GB (128GBx2) Raid 0 Extreme Performance) 
120 GB Corsair Force Neutron GTX SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive) 
240 GB Corsair Force Neutron GTX SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive) 
240 GB INTEL 730 Series SATA-III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk
Single Drive 
240GB x 2 (480GB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance 
240GB x 2 (240GB Capacity) Raid 1 High Performance with Data Security 
240GB x 4 (960GB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance
240GB x 4 (480GB Capacity) Raid 0+1 Extreme Performance with Data Security  
480 GB Corsair Force Neutron GTX SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive) 
480 GB INTEL 730 Series SATA III Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive) 
512 GB Crucial MX100 Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive) 
960 GB Crucial M500 Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive) 
120GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (120GB x 2 (240GB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance) 
240 GB Kingston V300 Series SATA-III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Drive) 
128 GB Crucial MX100 Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive) 
128 GB Plextor PX-M6S Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Drive) 
256 GB Crucial MX100 Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive)
256 GB Plextor PX-M6S Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Drive) 
PCIe Solid State Drives
128GB (1x128GB) Plextor M6e M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive, Read: 770MB/Sec, Write: 350MB/Sec, Controller: Marvell 88SS9183 Controller (128GB Plextor M6e M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive) 
256GB (1x256GB) Plextor M6e M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive, Read: 770MB/Sec, Write: 580MB/Sec, Controller: Marvell 88SS9183 Controller (256GB Plextor M6e M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive) 
512GB (1x512GB) Plextor M6e M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive, Read: 770MB/Sec, Write: 628MB/Sec, Controller: Marvell 88SS9183 Controller (512GB Plextor M6e M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive) 

Here is a list of secondary

Sata III Hard Drives
500GB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive) 
1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive) 
2TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200rpm Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive) 
3TB (3TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive) 
4TB (4TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 5900RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive) 
Western Digital High Performance Hard Drives
500GB WD Black WD5003AZEX SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
1TB WD Black WD1003FZEX SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
2TB WD Black WD2003FZEX SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64M Cache 7200rpm Hard Drive
Single Hard Drive 
2TB (2TBx2) Raid 1 High Performance with Data Security
3TB WD Black WD3003FZEX SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
4TB WD Black WD4003FZEX SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive (Single Hard Drive)
500GB Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache WD5000HHTZ (Single Hard Drive) 
1TB Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache WD1000dhtz (Single Hard Drive) 
Western Digital Black² 1TB HDD 120GB SSD Dual Drive (Single Hard Drive) 
Seagate SSD Hybrid Drives
1TB Seagate Hybrid Gen3 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 5400RPM SSHD (Single Hard Drive) 
2TB Seagate Hybrid Gen3 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s Cache 5400RPM SSHD (Single Hard Drive) 
Solid State Drives Sata III
128 GB Corsair Series GS SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive) 
120 GB Corsair Force Neutron GTX SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive) 
240 GB Corsair Force Neutron GTX SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive) 
240 GB INTEL 730 Series SATA-III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Drive) 
480 GB Corsair Force Neutron GTX SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive) 
480 GB INTEL 730 Series SATA III Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive) 
512 GB Crucial MX100 Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive)
960 GB Crucial M500 Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive) 
120GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (120GB x 2 (240GB Capacity) Raid 0 Extreme Performance) 
240 GB Kingston V300 Series SATA-III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Drive) 
128 GB Crucial MX100 Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive) 
128 GB Plextor PX-M6S Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Drive) 
256 GB Crucial MX100 Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Hard Drive)
256 GB Plextor PX-M6S Series SATA III Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Single Drive) 
PCIe Solid State Drives
128GB (1x128GB) Plextor M6e M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive, Read: 770MB/Sec, Write: 350MB/Sec, Controller: Marvell 88SS9183 Controller (128GB Plextor M6e M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive) 
256GB (1x256GB) Plextor M6e M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive, Read: 770MB/Sec, Write: 580MB/Sec, Controller: Marvell 88SS9183 Controller (256GB Plextor M6e M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive) 
512GB (1x512GB) Plextor M6e M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive, Read: 770MB/Sec, Write: 628MB/Sec, Controller: Marvell 88SS9183 Controller (512GB Plextor M6e M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive) 

Been told they no longer stock the Azza Fusion 4000 :( which is upsetting but instead use the Cooler Master HAF Stacker 935 Full Tower Gaming Case.

Still looks good but am a little upset as the other one just looked better.

2nk7u55.png

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,647 posts

I guess if you are looking in the Terabyte range then the Raptor 1TB for $199.99 at Newegg is not a bad deal over a good 1 TB SSD at $470 to $700. I would go for the Raptor in that case.  Although one last thought on large drives, I didn't notice much of a change, if any, in speed from my current Raptor going to a larger Sata 6 Gbps HDD.

• Neige and dave like this

o89e9t.png

Hottwire

Hottwire

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 280 posts

Yeah must admit it's a fair bit more for an SSD although they do offer Hybrid Drives?

In case anyone can do me any better I'm using this link as a base and then customizing as above:

https://www.cyberpow...79_CONFIGURATOR

Don't want to go over £3000 including VAT.

• Neige and dave like this

2nk7u55.png

sjprg

sjprg

• Global Moderator
  • 1,810 posts

"I just don't trust the whole (limited) read/write system that SSD's have yet...."

I've been running SSDs for about 2 I/2 years now with nary a burp. I have been installing them in all of my clients computers also. Rotating machinery has a much higher failure rate. I probably have over 50 in operation.

• Neige, slacker and Hottwire like this

Posted Image
Paul

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,993 posts

I've been keeping SSDs as the system drive from their early days & my mechanical HDDs as storage drives. This method gives you the best of both worlds, but you will be sorely disappointed/frustrated with the mech HDDs xfer rates at times.

The limited writes isn't as big a factor as was 1st thought, and improvements in nand controllers has pretty much made this a non-issue for non-commercial users.

My 3-4y/o SSD has 15.1 Tb wriitten with zero retired blocks, powered on 5,283 times, and an estimated remaining lifetime of 17 years & 6 months according to SSD Life.

I'll never go back to a regular mech as my main system HDD, but can't keep myself from installing a dual boot partition on my mech drive, either.  ;)   Of course you'd want to use a different OS in that case, and I have both OSes sharing the same VMs that are on my mech HDD's Storage partition.

I guarantee that once you use a SSD for your system HDD, you'll never want to go back.  :headbang:

Power loses would be your main concern with an SSD system drive, and if installed on a desktop, it is advised to use a UPS power supply as a pre-caution. This is a non-issue with laptops with a functioning portable battery, as they operate as a UPS in this case.

• Neige, slacker, cognizione and 3 others like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

Sorry, my 3,384 images hosted with Dropbox will no longer show.

Hottwire

Hottwire

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 280 posts

Don't fancy running a UPS i've got a small room and enough electronics that may be considered  overkill to most but not to us techies!

Besides that the heat levels in this room get ridiculous :(

• slacker likes this

2nk7u55.png

Neige

Neige

Marketing Department

• Administrators
  • 3,587 posts

Well I use on my main desktop (EVGA Classified SR-2, dual Intel 5650, 48 GB RAM, dual EVGA GeForce GTX 660 SC) 3 SSD drives, 4 WD Black 2 TB and 2 Raptors 1 TB.

And the best are still the SSD drives and they are over 2 years old (Corsair Sata 3 240 GB if I remember well) and they run like hell.

I even use them VM's...

So there are no issues with SSD, and I am sure the latest on the market work even better.

N :)

• dave, slacker, Tetley and 1 other like this

sjprg

sjprg

• Global Moderator
  • 1,810 posts

Something about leading a horse to water....

Posted Image
Paul

Hottwire

Hottwire

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 280 posts

Oh you guy's have convinced me. :) (Stop twisting my arm ;) ) Still don't want a UPS though.

When I get said system I'll update you all :D

• Neige, dave and slacker like this

2nk7u55.png

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,647 posts

Well if you don't want to use a UPS with the SSD, I don't either, then make backups on a regular schedule. That should save you from most power loss situations.

Now aren't you glad you asked! :histerija: :mrgreen:

• Neige, dave, cognizione and 1 other like this

o89e9t.png

sjprg

sjprg

• Global Moderator
  • 1,810 posts

I use small UPSs on my main system mainly to protect my displays but it also serves to protect my SSDs. It a 10 minute UPS which goes into a standard auto shutdown with a power loss, so while the computer does shut off it does so in a normal shutdown mode. I think I paid under $40.00USD for it.

A couple of years ago I had a windstorm rip the whole service entrance off the house which put 220 volts across all of my 110 volt lines. Really screwed the rest of the house, TVs, Microwaves, etc. I lost 1 display in the computer room that was not on a UPS. Freak happening, but then you never know what is coming.

• Neige, dave, slacker and 1 other like this

Posted Image
Paul

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,993 posts

I've been itching very badly to build a mini ITX i7 setup for my off the grid location, and of course have built my own backup power source with 2 huge 6VDC batteries (with generator & solar charging) & a small 200W inverter, but would hafta upgrade it to a 750W Inverter/Charger with Auto-Transfer Switching, which is a $300 addition. We'll see how it goes.

• slacker likes this

l8Ea9q8f.png

Hottwire

Hottwire

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 280 posts

Christ Dave!

That's a setup and a half!

• slacker likes this

2nk7u55.png

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,647 posts

Dave needs the UPS, he has power loss when sun goes down. :histerija:  You know wind should be a good power source on the mountain top?!?

• dave likes this

o89e9t.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,993 posts

Actually have possession of a wind generator that haven't hooked up yet.

THAT would guarantee that the winds would die down on this darn mountain for certain, at least a night.  :histerija: :histerija: :histerija:

• slacker and Hottwire like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users