Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Downgrade from Windows 8.1 to 7 pro

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Jeremiah James

Jeremiah James

• Members (inactive)
  • 4 posts
I have windows 8.1 not the pro version. I hate it... How to I downgrade to Windows 7 pro. Is it possible?
  • elmondo likes this

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,634 posts

It helps us greatly to help you when you give us the manufacturer & model # of your PC. Some OEMs have downgrade options that were available.

And if you have an ARM CPU, I believe you're stuck with what you have, but others wll correct me if I'm incorrect.

• Tetley and Maxed like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

cognizione

cognizione

T.A.A.B # 2

• Administrators
  • 7,303 posts

Does the manufacturer offers two versions of the same model PC. One with 7 and one with 8?
Need to check drivers to see if different devices will work on 7.

"Important: the information on this page is intended for system builders and the downgrade rights that apply to their customers. If you are a customer of a direct OEM, please contact your OEM for more information about downgrade rights. If you are a direct OEM, please contact your Microsoft Account Manager.

Downgrade and down-edition rights are an end-user right that Microsoft offers to customers for certain OEM products which meet the technical requirements for a Windows software downgrade. Downgrade rights are documented in the Microsoft Software License Terms that customers accept upon first running Windows and Windows Server software. Thanks to downgrade rights, end users who have acquired a later version of the software (such as Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard) can use an earlier version of the software (such as Windows 7 Professional or Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard) until they are ready to migrate to a later version technology.

If a product includes downgrade rights, the license terms for that product will indicate which earlier versions of the software may be used."

• dave and Tetley like this

tGX16tl.png

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Jeremiah James

Jeremiah James

• Members (inactive)
  • 4 posts
Sorry I should have listed the model it's a Toshiba Satellite S855-S5386
  • dave likes this

cognizione

cognizione

T.A.A.B # 2

• Administrators
  • 7,303 posts

bipbo4.jpg

It's Monday morning, so take everything I say with a grain of salt    :wacko:

http://www5.nohold.net/Toshiba/Loginr.aspx?pid=3&login=1

"If you have purchased a new machine with Windows 8 pre-installed the only way to change
your operating system to Windows 7 is to purchase Windows 7 software and install it."

That's what I get from Toshiba. For me it's if all devices will work on 7 no problem. Or just
try using Classic Shell. You may like 8 more than you think. :)

http://www.classicshell.net/

• dave and Tetley like this

tGX16tl.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,624 posts

"It helps us greatly to help you when you give us the manufacturer & model # of your PC. Some OEMs have downgrade options that were available."

Everybody that I have assisted in any method.... If you have Windows 8.1 OEM and the KEY word is 8.1.

BE WARNED - SPEND SOME $$$ TO VALIDATE FIRST.

There is NO FREE update back to Window 7. and the Forums all over are filled with LOTS OF PISSED OFF,  Windows 8 it is allowed to go back.

but not 8.1 (I know of at least 4 Manufactures of OEM that {100% state The Installation of Windows 7 100% Invalidates any Warranty.}

Now there might be exceptions so before you CHIT CAN your new SYSTEM. check with Store of Purchase and 99% will allow a 80% REFUND back to Purchase of a Windows 7 System.

Oh and yes if you have issues and do returen your system. under warranty you might be suprised the Manufacture will KNOW what you did...

two people were told flat out, System was Repaired, No Warranty and the COST to get back. was in the $200.00 range.

postage, handling and shipping ... and NO, they do not accept CHECKS.

96ccd5e8-d519-4cda-9053-631ef1c070b8_zps

Jeremiah James

Jeremiah James

• Members (inactive)
  • 4 posts
What about just a new hard drive and install Windows 7
  • Snuffy and dave like this

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,624 posts

You can try that.. some system still will not allow. it depends on the BIOS.

• dave likes this

cognizione

cognizione

T.A.A.B # 2

• Administrators
  • 7,303 posts

That is a thought Jeremiah. But if you live in the U S, a couple of phone calls should

solve this problem. Do I have to pay or not. Then go from there. For me...... Classic Shell :)

• Snuffy likes this

tGX16tl.png

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

• Global Moderator
  • 3,695 posts

You could take your chances if you have an original DVD and serial number.  You will be required to do an activation too by phone or internet.  Depending how old your DVD is, you will most likely be stuck for most of the day installing Windows Updates, please do so before doing anything else.  Update your Microsoft Security Essentials, Java if you need it and Flash also if needed.

All through?  Go to the mfg site (Toshiba) and download any of their custom utilities and drivers if needed (I am assuming that your wired or wireless connection driver installed ok by Windows).  Be aware that not everything may work if Windows 7 was not offered as OEM, but if you check with the actual hardware mfg, there may be a generic solution.

1zbfi1f.jpg

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,624 posts

Yes, ask a Tech for dang sure.... before you try. most Manufacture Sites have FORUMS, where this can be ask, or answers found most are easy to find.

some are not easy to find. Most will tell you if you ask.

Make sure you ask and find proper. 

If you OWN a RETAIL Windows 7, and Own a Proper HardDrive. then go for it.

Jeremiah James

Jeremiah James

• Members (inactive)
  • 4 posts
So here is what I did. Bought windows 7. Installed and got all the drivers. Everything is working beautifully. I only went back to windows 7 for FSX. It's ran sluggish on Windows 8.1. Went from 20 FPS to a constant 40 FPS after I switched. Setting all the same and no tweaks. I'm loving it. Thanks for all the help.
  • dave, cognizione and dhjohns like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users