Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Time for a tiny upgrade....

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

These are the system specs ATM  :

OS
    Windows 10 Pro
Case
        CoolerMaster Stacker STC-T01
Mobo
    MSI X58 Pro-E
CPU
    Intel Xeon W3680
Memory
    Corsair Vengeance 18GB 1600 MHz DDR3
CPU fan
   Alphacool Eisberg 120 watercooling set
Harddisk(s)
    Kingston SSDNow V100 SV100S2/256G, Hitachi DeskStar 7K3000, WD Raptor 150,2 X WD Caviar Green

GPU

2 x Saphire R9 290X  Tri-X in crossfire
Monitor
    3 x LG W2253 (eyefinity)
Burner
    LG BH08LS20 Blu-Ray writer
Speakers
    Hercules XPS 2.0 80 DJ Monitor
Sound
    Realtek High Definition Audio onboard
Mouse
    Logitech G9X
Keyboard
    Logitech G910
PSU
    Sapphire PurePSU 950 W (Enermax Revolution 85+ clone?)

My better half didn't allow me to jump on 'the latest hardware' boat,so I had to settle for only a GPU upgrade......on the picture,you see it already waiting on my desk.... :mrgreen:

As you all know,that I7 950 isn't really a big performer anymore these days,so I was looking for an alternative that could give my system a boost to survive a few extra years without costing me an arm and a leg....

The I7 980X still goes around 350 € here,but I found a great alternative,for 200 €.... :occasion14:

A XEON W3680......almost identical to the I7 980X,also unlocked and compatible with my mobo (bios IS flashed to the latest version)....... :headbang:

When my R9 290X and this CPU are installed,I hope to get some decent power again for the next few years

Attached Files

• Neige, dave, slacker and 8 others like this

nda92u.png

Motto of the Malinois Shepherd : 'Semper fi.'till my death does us part.'

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,989 posts

Nice! I'd give someone else's arm & leg for the XEON W3680.

http://ark.intel.com...0-GTs-Intel-QPI

• Neige, volvo, slacker and 9 others like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

Sorry, my 3,384 images hosted with Dropbox will no longer show.

cognizione

cognizione

T.A.A.B # 2

• Administrators
  • 7,519 posts

My better half didn't allow me to jump on 'the latest hardware

The question is........ How did you slide all the stuff you already got by her ?  Damn !     :histerija:

• Neige, volvo, dave and 9 others like this

tGX16tl.png

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

Update ...... :mrgreen:

http://www.beyondwindows9.com/index.php/topic/17092-xeon-w3680-vs-me-score-1-0/?hl=w3680

A lot of BS at the so-called overclockers forums......my MB memory issue had nothing to do with unsupported hardware or wrong settings! :roll:

It was my own stupid fault.... :banghead: :banghead:

I dunno how it happened,as I'm 100% sure that I've put the CPU in the correct direction  on the socket,but it seems that I've bended and broke some socket pins....... :sad11:

When I placed the Scythe Mugen 2 cooler,I had to tighten the bolts so much to cover the CPU foot that some of the bolts were impossible to release afterwards,perhaps that caused the damage to the socket? ???

But anyway,for $110,I bought a 2nd hand  Asus p6X58D Premium  mobo on Ebay to replace my faulty 1,and while I was at it,I decided to replace the Mugen 2 for a cpu water cooling set.... :mrgreen:

http://www.alphacool.com/product_info.php/info/p1498_Alphacool-Eisberg-120-CPU---Black.html

I know that putting some extra money to keep my X58 system alive will seem as a waste of money to some of our members,but peeps,IMHO socket 1366 is still an awesome platform,even these days....

• Neige, slacker, frenchie and 3 others like this

nda92u.png

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Gamer with needs lol

• Global Moderator
  • 2,760 posts
Love the tri setup. I'm going to have my system back to tri in a few months also, down to a dual for now lol
  • slacker, frenchie, Dahaka and 3 others like this

2wpiemh.png

Neige

Neige

Marketing Department

• Administrators
  • 3,587 posts

I run Xeons and I am very pleased.

Nothing to say, and if you got a correct mobo you can overclock them. ;)

• dave, frenchie, Dahaka and 3 others like this

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

Love the tri setup. I'm going to have my system back to tri in a few months also, down to a dual for now lol

I think you'll be happy when you're back on the tri-setup,dual is ok for most things,but gaming is a bit hindered by the bezels........ ;)

As you can see,my monitors are already a few years old,newer models with smaller bezels give a much better experience these days.....but I'm still happy with my setup,there are objects and angles you'll never get to see with only 1 monitor when playing ....

I run Xeons and I am very pleased.

Nothing to say, and if you got a correct mobo you can overclock them. ;)

Got the W3680 easily to 4 GHZ with no overheating issues or BSOD..... :headbang:

• Neige, dave, cognizione and 4 others like this

nda92u.png

Tunez

Tunez

Expiring Minds

• BW9 Donator +
  • 775 posts

roady, got a couple questions for you

1,   How do you watch 3 monitors at the same time ? I have a 32" and have a hard time sometimes watching that.

2.   HOW THE HELL DO YOU KEEP YOUR DESK SO CLEAN ??    :histerija: :histerija:

Expiring Minds Wanna Know     :icon_pai:

• Snuffy, frenchie, Dahaka and 1 other like this

2jfhj75.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

1,   How do you watch 3 monitors at the same time ? I have a 32" and have a hard time sometimes watching that.

It's only for gaming that I 'try' to watch them @ the same time.......for other things,I usually drag an opened program to a seperate screen.....

2.   HOW THE HELL DO YOU KEEP YOUR DESK SO CLEAN ??    :histerija: :histerija:

I don't......there's a table in front of my desk where I put all my rubbish on for a few minutes when I wanna take pictures of my system.... :histerija: :histerija: :histerija:

• frenchie, Dahaka and Sundown like this

nda92u.png

Tunez

Tunez

Expiring Minds

• BW9 Donator +
  • 775 posts

It's only for gaming that I 'try' to watch them @ the same time.......for other things,I usually drag an opened program to a seperate screen.....

I don't......there's a table in front of my desk where I put all my rubbish on for a few minutes when I wanna take pictures of my system.... :histerija: :histerija: :histerija:

Well I guess that wont work for me, my computer room is in my man cave but its in a old walk in closet that is about 3' X 8'  and I built my own desk that is right up against the wall, if I put a table out  side the closet I will get my butt chewed out by the PITA  ( Pain In The A** ) who is the wife !!!! Please dont let  her see this post or I wont be able to play with guyz for a while.

Expiring Minds Need a Rest      :rolleyes: :icon_pai:

• cognizione, Tetley, Dahaka and 1 other like this

2jfhj75.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

Got my Logitech G910 keyboard today and having fun with it.... :mrgreen:

But it will probably my 1st and last time I'm playing with it......while my better half is sleeping,I found a brand new 'twin' of my R9 290X on ebay for only 235€ and bought it.... :help: :mrgreen:

So tomorrow I probably won't be around anymore........if you don't hear from me within the next 3 days,please call the cops!! :histerija: :histerija:

Some scores of my 'old' X58 platform.... ;) ...no overclocks!

Attached Files

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 2 others like this

nda92u.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,989 posts

I'm just itching for a core i7 4790T (Up to 3.9 GHz Max. Turbo Frequency (2.7 GHz base frequency), 8 MB cache, 4 cores, 8 threads Intel® HD 4600 to replace the i5 4570T that came with my new machine. I'm certain I'll getta round TUIT, but will hafta settle for a 500 Gb Samsung SSD for now.

• cognizione, Tetley, soundstyler and 4 others like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

1st post in this thread edited to comply with my present system specifications .... :occasion14:

3D Mark makes me finally happy now.... :mrgreen: ;)

Attached Files

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 2 others like this

nda92u.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

Bad luck......I think my hardware is f*cked.... : 

All of a sudden,my machine went into a bootloop,so I opened up the case and saw my Eisberg watercooling system leaking water onto my mobo and 1st GPU.

It wasn't the radiator,nor the tubes or the refill seal ,it was the CPU waterblock itself that was leaking.....I dunno what caused this,but I hope that the damage isn't system-wide....:(

• dave and Tetley like this

nda92u.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,989 posts

Bummer, does that have the pump & waterblock integrated? It would be a scary proposition for me to have my pump on the CPU. Does their warranty cover the damage due to defect?

• Tetley and roady like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

It's similar to this  1 :Attached File  watercooling.jpg   127.78KB   0 downloads

I still have to check their warranty policy,1st I wanna dig up the receipt....;)

• dave and Tetley like this

nda92u.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,989 posts

Yeap, it's the one  looked at Coolmaster's site. I think you may have warranty coverage for your damaged components.

http://www.coolermas...e/warranty.html

• cognizione and roady like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users