Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

First time PC builder

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

JohnnyTorr

JohnnyTorr

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 36 posts

Hey all, unfortunately my account got accidentally erased so I have to re create this post, I'm looking for any advice on my build that is going to be all done in January of 2015, I have a budget of 500 pounds but willing to go up to 600 pounds if necessary, this is currently what I have -->http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/9f7pFT I am considering changing the memory to SSD probably a 2 TB/ 3 TB WD Red. This will primarily be a gaming PC but it will also be used for my degree at university creating presentations using both sony vegas and basic programs such as Microsoft power point, I mostly play games such as League of Legends but that is solely due to the reason that my PC cannot handle games that I would like to play such as Dragon Age, Far Cry, Battlefield etc. any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I consider myself a complete rookie in this department.

• Snuffy, dave, cognizione and 3 others like this

2d9qws7.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,989 posts

As was said earlier, a large mechanical WD storage drive along with a SSD operating system drive is the best bang for your buck for any system.

Samsung Evo are very popular SSD's and the earlier models are really inexpensive, plus you won't see much difference in performance in realtime (benchmarks only), but should you buy a earlier version, be sure to update the firmware to the lastest, since they've found issues recently.

Apologies for your account, & a week trial & method to upgrade to permanent VIP was PMed to you.

Enjoy your time here on BW9! Having fun is the 1st priority!  :biggrin:

• Snuffy, GODAMONGUS, volvo and 2 others like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

Sorry, my 3,384 images hosted with Dropbox will no longer show.

JohnnyTorr

JohnnyTorr

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 36 posts

Here is  a slightly updated build-> http://uk.pcpartpick...rr/saved/nhkbt6

• cognizione and Tetley like this

2d9qws7.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,989 posts

Looks good to me, and the Corsair PSU is a good choice to get a brand name PSU, BUT you may wanna up your watts a little. Your on the mark now with a 500W, but give yourself some room to upgrade drives (addon) & graphics (+ even overclock) should you decide to in the future. Personally I'd go with a 750W.  ;)  Always better to have a little more than too little.

FYI, power supplies have the highest failure rate, then mechanical HDDs on PCs, so it's best to go with good ones.

• Snuffy, volvo, Tetley and 2 others like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

1st of all,it's a very fine build that you've put together for that price,no doubt! :)

This will primarily be a gaming PC

For the games you want to play,I would also try to put together an AMD system to see if you can crank up the price range of the videocard.

The I5 4670 K is a great value,but I think you could save some money on a CPU without integrated GPU,as you want to install a dedicated card for games...

That way,you can keep your price around the same,but with much better graphics,lets say a Radeon 280 or Nvidia equivalent...

• Maxed and Thekid1 like this

nda92u.png

Motto of the Malinois Shepherd : 'Semper fi.'till my death does us part.'

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Gamer with needs lol

• Global Moderator
  • 2,760 posts
That will works just fine for what your looking to get into. The only thing you will need a bigger Power Supply. You will need a 800+ for running that system with out problems. The GPU takes more power than what they say on a full load and on boot. Remember that your system takes the most power on booting up, then lvls out after that and pumps back up during hard CPU & GPU usage.
  • Snuffy, volvo, dave and 5 others like this

2wpiemh.png

JohnnyTorr

JohnnyTorr

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 36 posts
Any recommendations on brands for power supply's?
  • Maxed and Thekid1 like this

2d9qws7.png

Maxed

Maxed

SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 8,855 posts

corsair is a good brand but I would buy one that is 650 to 750 watts the 500 would be adequete but if you start adding moe hardrives dvd drives ect you will wan the extra power. :)

• volvo, dave and Thekid1 like this

YOHAE9jH.png

JohnnyTorr

JohnnyTorr

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 36 posts

Here are two builds one with AMD and I think a better video card http://uk.pcpartpick...rr/saved/bWtNnQand the original intel build http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/johnnytorr/saved/nhkbt6

• dave likes this

2d9qws7.png

volvo

volvo

• Global Moderator
  • 1,371 posts

that seems a good compromise I use the 8350 and it overclocks well I run it at 4.6ghz day to day but have run it up to 5.1ghz stable but hot a good water cooler is a must at that level I use a Corsair H100i

checkout overclockers.co.uk for prices as well as the one partpicker is using BTW

• dave, cognizione, Maxed and 1 other like this

2cde6h5_zps6c93c367.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

For a gaming rig in that price range,IMHO the AMD setup is the best..... :)

The GPU is much better.....but if you can find R9 280 for around the same price (or less ;) ) ,I would go for that 1.....

Not an AMD/ATI fanboy here,as I own both brands,but the R9 280 is a little tad faster,while in the same price range...

But again,it will be a nice midrange gaming system,with a fine price/performance value.....

• dave, Maxed and Thekid1 like this

nda92u.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,989 posts

Well we were off to a rough start Johnny, but looks like we've got you back on the right track now.

Thanks members for all your input & a fabulous knowledge base.  :headbang:  The best on the net!

• volvo, cognizione, Maxed and 2 others like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

ibm650

ibm650

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,216 posts

Why the bigger power supply, is that not the low power graphic card?  Also, go intel vs AMD, I think you will be much happier

• Snuffy, Thekid1 and JohnnyTorr like this

2n72sna.png

JohnnyTorr

JohnnyTorr

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 36 posts
It's more for future upgrades, I might put an optical drive in maybe a second video card. And the price difference wasn't too big. And I'm not sure which on top pick, although the Intel processor is a slightly better choice the graphics card is far superior on the amd build which makes things difficult.
  • dave, cognizione, Thekid1 and 1 other like this

2d9qws7.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

And I'm not sure which on top pick, although the Intel processor is a slightly better choice the graphics card is far superior on the amd build which makes things difficult.

it's simple.....;)

If you wanna go over your initial budget AND wanna play games @ a decent framerate,the I5 and a 760 GTX or R9 280 is a great  midrange combo..

If you wanna stay within budget,and gaming is the highest priority of the new build ,the AMD setup kicks the Intel setup from the same price range..... as for gaming  mostly a decent dedicated GPU is much more important than a quadcore CPU with integrated graphics chip.....

• Thekid1 likes this

nda92u.png

Hottwire

Hottwire

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 280 posts

I'm very happy with my R9 280X  upgraded to it from a HD 6870.

I have a  AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition with 8GB Ram.

The upgrade of the graphics made such a difference..

But now i'm hitting the limits on my Power supply.

So next thing will be that and a SSD.

But personally I will get a whole new build when it comes to it.

• Thekid1 likes this

2nk7u55.png

JohnnyTorr

JohnnyTorr

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 36 posts
I'm starting to think if I'm going to do this I might as well just spend the money and get a Intel processor and an R9 280x or if anyone has something for a similar price range that's better or slightly more expensive they would reccoemend. Thanks for everyone's help with this, when I finally get around to ordering all the parts and building this beauty I'll be sure to post pictures :) may also need help with that set up if I get stuck.
  • dave, cognizione, Ap1962 and 2 others like this

2d9qws7.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users