Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

need a way to check if a driver is out of date

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

confused

confused

• Members (inactive)
  • 24 posts

My laptop computer has been shutting down

it turns itself off

there is no blue screen no errors when i start it back up

no minidump file that signifies a crash

it just turns itself off as if i had pressed the power button

the first few times this happened when i started it back up i had a black screen with a message about the battery reached critical level and the computer needs to be plugged in, but of course the battery was fine level was above 80%

it doesnt do this when it is plugged in

so i need a way to check all the drivers and something to check the battery

i found a couple programs that are free but it doesnt run a check on the battery it just displays hwo long it has been on and if it is charging

Yes it charges fine

Same with drivers, found free software but doesnt actually check if things are up to date or not just lists what they are

In device manager i can go thru all the devices and update drivers but always get the message driver is up to date

laptop

toshiba l75-b7270

satelitte

windows 7 64 bit system

4 gig ram

all that is listed for display is intel hd graphics

hard drive 750 gig with 675 free

very bare bones system

nothign fancy

have run malwarebytes and spybot and found nothing

any help would be appreciated

• gip, toptek and elmondo like this

cognizione

cognizione

T.A.A.B # 2

• Administrators
  • 7,321 posts

Is this without the battery?  Have you checked the battery, power supply and power cord?

http://www.helpwithw...-Windows-7.html

1. Click Start button and type cmd in Search programs and files box
  3. Right click on cmd.exe listed at the top of the Start menu and click Run as administrator
  5. In the command prompt type cd %userprofile%/Desktop and press Enter
  7. Next type powercfg -energy in the command prompt and press Enter

powercfg will enable a trace for 60 seconds. If you want to use it for more information than just the battery details, make sure no other processes are running during that time

When finished, powercfg will generate a report (in html format) which shows errors, warnings etc. Since we directed the command prompt to your desktop, the report will be placed on your desktop as energy-report.html. Just open the report in your web browser & scroll down to the Battery Information section.

• Snuffy, chenzen666, slacker and 4 others like this

tGX16tl.png

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,651 posts

BatteryInfoView v1.20 gives detailed info about your batteries wear level rated capacity & current capacity.

http://www.nirsoft.n...ation_view.html

Be sure to check your power settings, defaults in many versions of Windows are to sleep, which uses battery to keep your RAM alive. I prefer to power off (shutdown) or hibernate if I wish to save current work, and doesn't use your battery when off.

• Snuffy, slacker, cognizione and 4 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

Dahaka

Dahaka

Backup & HDD Tools Moderator

• 3,616 posts

http://www.beyondwin...rpack-solution/

• cognizione, toptek, Tetley and 2 others like this

toptek

toptek

Sr Member

• BW9 VIP Platinum
  • 440 posts

or

http://www.techpower.../SysInfo/GPU-Z/

http://www.cpuid.com....2.13-setup.exe

• Tetley, Dahaka, Maxed and 1 other like this

Posted Image

confused

confused

• Members (inactive)
  • 24 posts

ill try everything after some rest

thanks

• Snuffy, cognizione, Tetley and 1 other like this

Al

Al

• BW9 Donator +
  • 723 posts

As for checking drivers, you can try Driver Magician (there is a freeware version) or DriverPack solution. Each will show if there is an update for your drivers.

• Tetley, Maxed and confused like this

Posted Image

[Retired: Each morning I make a list of those things that I'm not going to do today and then I don't do them]

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

• Global Moderator
  • 3,697 posts

Drivers do not get bad with time.  When you get everything sorted out (try Dave's tool booting with DVD/CD or USB) make sure you make a complete backup of your data and settings, then do a full 5 step check-disk.  Emergency shutdowns while a system is running is detrimental to your file system and will account for corrupted 'drivers'!

• Snuffy, dave, cognizione and 3 others like this

1zbfi1f.jpg

confused

confused

• Members (inactive)
  • 24 posts
cognizione i always have the battery in and i did the powercfg and the only things listed are how i have the power plans set, not to dim the screen not to hibernate etc , for the battery this is what it has doesnt seem to be anything wrong
Battery:Battery Information
Battery ID 05B6PA5109U-1BRS Manufacturer   Serial Number 05B6 Chemistry Li-i Long Term 1 Design Capacity 48600 Last Full Charge 47390
  • Snuffy likes this

confused

confused

• Members (inactive)
  • 24 posts

BatteryInfoView v1.20 gives detailed info about your batteries wear level rated capacity & current capacity.

dave thanks i have tried that one and it doesnt tell me if something is wrong with the battery just give info about it which is good but im looking more for something that will tell me if the battery is bad or not

• Snuffy, cognizione and Tetley like this

cognizione

cognizione

T.A.A.B # 2

• Administrators
  • 7,321 posts

Design Capacity 48600 Last Full Charge 47390

i always have the battery in 

Looks good, less than 3% drop. How quick does it drop when not plugged in?
If you use it plugged in all the time, leave the battery out. Should extend life of battery.

http://support.toshi...Text=1200008302

• slacker, Tetley and Dahaka like this

tGX16tl.png

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,670 posts

Lots of good suggestions. also you might chekc the M$ site for the Battery FIX. it is FREE

also Advanced System Pro offers a FREE Driver Booster Software... it works on almost anything, even some version of Windows 10.

They offer a BUY it now and ever FREE Version will also update and ask you to BUY for the FULL version. which has lots of other stuff.

but what you want is FREE and works at about 98%.

• slacker, cognizione and Dahaka like this

96ccd5e8-d519-4cda-9053-631ef1c070b8_zps

elmondo

elmondo

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 359 posts

Well the first thing I would do is to check the windows system log and see if there is anything strange in there.

2643nde.png
Use my link to get a free sharing of files with a Minus Account!!

http://min.us/rJlOSOa

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

• Global Moderator
  • 3,697 posts

BatteryInfoView does indeed tell you if the battery is bad.  If your rated capacity and use are good, then the battery is still usable.  Snuffy's suggestion is a good one, have you tried yet?

• cognizione likes this

1zbfi1f.jpg

Sandwichman

Sandwichman

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,063 posts

By the way if the battery is an aftermarket battery a lot of times they don't report the right statistics to the operating system or battery utilities. Most batteries these days have their own onboard electronics that can be easily manipulated. There has even been talk about Chinese hackers loading malware onto batteries and installing from there. I don't know if it is possible, but certainly made me think twice about where I purchase a battery from now.

• Snuffy likes this

2lc5gqq.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,670 posts

Yes, and he also states - so an old old trick is remove the battery then place a proper size lamp on it, to drain the battery. many batteries have a BRAIN that gets confused.  so if your battery is a 20vt then 3 6vt flashlite lamps in series will also drain it do a very very low state....

then you can reinsert and charge till full, as indicated by Laptop, then remove and drain again.... usually doing this 2 time will reset the BRAIN on the battery.

if not then I recommend buy a new Manufacture Recommended not some generic thing.

i always have the battery in

• cognizione likes this

96ccd5e8-d519-4cda-9053-631ef1c070b8_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users