Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Hands-on: Lumia 640 ought to be enough for anybody

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Tetley

Tetley

• Global Moderator
  • 10,212 posts
Hands-on: Lumia 640 ought to be enough for anybody

A well-rounded smartphone experience for less than $250. Why pay more?

BARCELONA, Spain—We gave Microsoft's two new mid-range phones, the Lumia 640 and Lumia 640 XL, a quick spin at MWC. And wouldn't you know it: they're both rather pleasant.

IMG_4209-lumia-640-hands-on-1-640x427.jp

As low-to-mid-range handsets, the specs of the devices aren't going to blow anyone away. Rather, they address most of the concerns that the Lumia 630/635 presented: they include a full 1GB of memory, front-facing cameras, and ambient light sensors. Their screens are also bigger and better; both are 720p, 5-inch on the 640, and 5.7-inch on the XL.

Both feel customarily solid. The brightly colored backs peel off, so the device can show a slight amount of flexing if you press them just so. For the most part however, the new phones feel every bit as solid as the higher-end models. The 640 has the rounded edge and smooth curves of many other Lumias, and it's comfortable to hold.

The 640 XL shakes up the styling a little with a slightly more angular profile and with chamfered edges. The difference isn't huge, but we were less keen on the XL. Part of this is due to the size of the thing. A 5.7-inch screen makes for a pretty big phone, and five inches is my personal sweet spot. Proponents of large-screen phones tell me that if I made the switch I'd become a convert soon enough, but I'm not convinced.

IMG_4210-lumia-640-back-640x427.jpg

Whichever size you choose, the screens look good. They're ClearBlack screens, so blacks look black and colors are bright. They both support the much-loved Glance feature, so they'll show the time, appointments, and some notifications even when "off" if you choose. Even with the 720p resolution, scrolling was responsive and animations were smooth.

In spite of the relatively low-end processor, taking basic pictures felt fast. Both phones ship with the latest version of Lumia Camera. This app has some trick photography options, such as constructing composite pictures taken with and without flash, which affords greater control over exposure and lighting. These images needed a few seconds of processing before they can be viewed and adjusted, and it's an area where a faster processor would likely make its presence felt.

IMG_4212-lumia-640-side-640x427.jpg

But for the price, we're not sure that matters. The Lumia 640 should sell at under $200, and the 640 XL in its (most expensive) dual-SIM LTE variant should be about $245. For that money, they look good, feel good, and work well, and it makes us wonder about how much a $600-$700 flagship would really offer. Is a $600-$700 flagship going to be better? Sure, in every way; more resolution, more memory, faster processor, more storage, maybe thinner or lighter or both.

But is it going to be five hundred dollars better? I don't think so. And with a $70 one year Office 365 subscription thrown in to the 640 and 640 XL, the value for many will be even better.

The Lumia 520 was relatively successful because for as little as $30 (carrier locked), it did all the things a smartphone needed to do—it had a browser, it ran apps, it took pictures, it had a nice e-mail client.

The 640 and 640 XL take that to the next level; they do everything a smartphone needs to do, plus they have the most important bells and whistles. If the 520 was the barebones smartphone experience, these phones offer a much more rounded smartphone experience. It's going to be rare to meet a smartphone user who truly needs anything more.

• volvo, dave, alfreire and 7 others like this

5ULDs17.png

redfish

redfish

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 76 posts

Just sold my android tablet. Love my Winbook 100  Have Samsung Galaxy s5 ..

I am on Verizon and they are pretty limited on Windows phones. I am hoping that they will get the Lumia series.

I am ready to give it a whirl, I am on the Edge program with Vz and my year is up.. Just waiting.. 

Looks like the Lumia may be the ticket..

ReD

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 3 others like this

ipqn8g.png

redfish

redfish

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 76 posts

Verizon guy told me that 640 will be in Verizon APRIL. 

I am going to see if I can get on First list ORANGE looks HOT to me.

So this will eliminate all my Android stuff. 

Can't wait...

ReD

ipqn8g.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,156 posts

So this will eliminate all my Android stuff. 

Can't wait...

ReD

Any perticular reason for you to ditch Android completely ? ???

I like it even more than in it's early days..... :love4:

• dave, Tetley, Bruce and 1 other like this

nda92u.png

Motto of the Malinois Shepherd : 'Semper fi.'till my death does us part.'

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,812 posts

I never got started on Android at all, and personally don't care much for it at all, after upgrading & cleaning others devices, plus running it on PC & VMs.

This topic DID get me to look and I found that I could get a Lumina 635 Win 8.1 GoPhone  for less than $50, and use the WiFi only if I wish.

I'm considering it for just the media, Skype, email, & internet capabilities, and can always put minutes on it if I choose.

I've never owned a smartphone, so that isn't what I'm really looking for. More of a small portable phone sized tablet.  :histerija:

• volvo, cognizione, Haich and 4 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

redfish

redfish

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 76 posts

It seems crazy to do Android when All my PC'S and Tablets run Windows. I have a spare PC testing windows 10.

Everything I do is windows and the New Luminia looks even better on 10. 

ipqn8g.png

redfish

redfish

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 76 posts

Looks like I will not be getting the Lumia 640 XL  -- Exclusive to ATT.

Said Verizon will come out with Lumia FLAGSHIP phone soon..

Guess I will wait. Retired Verizon and get discount. 

Really want Windows Phone..

The Wait is on !!!!

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 2 others like this

ipqn8g.png

tammerlane

tammerlane

Village Idiot

• BW9 Donator +
  • 418 posts

After years of frustration with Android, I got a Lumia 520 in Feb. for $35 & $40/month. Love the tiles. Easy for old eyes to see. It's got Cortana, and plays music well. Oh, it does make & receive calls. Pretty well, actually. I live in the sticks and it rarely drops a call. tammerlane.

• dave, cognizione, redfish and 3 others like this

Posted Image

redfish

redfish

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 76 posts

Just saw this today

Microsoft has already made it clear that it will not introduce any new flagship phones until Windows 10 is ready to go. This means it will probably be a few months before we see the next Lumia in action. We are still not sure about branding, but Lumia 940 sounds about right.

• cognizione, Tetley, Bruce and 1 other like this

ipqn8g.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,812 posts

Wow Snuffy, here you go Bro!

Trial a Lumia  -  Getting a two-week trial of Lumia lushness is simple.

http://lumiaconversa.../trial-a-lumia/

And I bet it's connected to AT&T too!  :histerija: :histerija: :histerija:

• cognizione, Tetley, Bruce and 1 other like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

cognizione

cognizione

T.A.A.B # 2

• Administrators
  • 7,422 posts

Two weeks seems a bit short for a trial........   :roll:

• dave, Tetley, Bruce and 1 other like this

tGX16tl.png

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Korupt2009

Korupt2009

• BW9 Donator +
  • 89 posts

yup cant go wrong with WP, yes it has its short comings right now but will improve greatly with win 10. Apps are still hit and miss but getting better overall, I would expect win10 will also improve the app problem, don't think too many dev;s. if they are smart dev's, will pass on that amount of users with windows 10. Windows users crush android and apple users together.

• Tetley likes this

Posted Image

sjprg

sjprg

GFX & Images Related Software Expert

• Global Moderator
  • 1,794 posts

One of the reasons I stay Verizon is that while hiking my S4 phone works where others in the hiking group won't. Non of the smart phones are as good as the older flip phones. My VT 750 was the best until I smashed it crawling around under desks and such stringing cat5. The smart phones are toys that have a poor phone in them as a byproduct. I no longer have my test equipment I carried on the job but I suspect at least 10dbm poorer. I do miss my 25W vhf phone that was in my car. It worked everywhere. It even had a regular telephone handset. Good thing it was company supplied though as it sold for $4800.00. Times do change! :histerija:

• cognizione and Tetley like this

Posted Image
Paul

hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006

• BW9 Donator +
  • 658 posts

I personally own this device and i have to say even with the being my first windows mobile device its has smashing performance. Same chipset as my old Moto G and yet runs hell lot faster. Not as fast as my Moto G 2015 but its looking more and more like i will be moving away from Android into the Windows Eco system.

• cognizione, Tetley and Bruce like this

25qr9cy.png

My Current Gaming System

MSI GT72 6QD: Intel i7 6700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 256GB Samsung nVME SM951, 2x 1TB SanDisk X400 M.2, 1TB Hitachi HDD @7200RPM, nVidia GTX970M 6GB, Realtek 898 ALC with Nahimic and Dynaudio Speakers. Windows 10 Home OEM:DM upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (Legit). 230w PSU.

volvo

volvo

• Global Moderator
  • 1,368 posts

Have to say I did not play well with Android especially when everything else was Windows so when my ISP offered the 635 for £10.50 a month (I don't have a great use so the bottom tariff was good enough) I got one and was impressed now they have the 640 for £10 a month with the same use we got one and yes if you are not an Apple fan boy or must have the top spec to impress this is a great phone does all and more I need, I would recommend one.

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 1 other like this

2cde6h5_zps6c93c367.png

tammerlane

tammerlane

Village Idiot

• BW9 Donator +
  • 418 posts

Well, I went ahead and got a 640 from Cricket. Cricket sucked, so I went to MetroPCS LG Leon. The Leon is a cute phone, but I find myself using the Lumia more than the Leon, even without cell service. The Lumia Here Drive is the BEST GPS I've ever had. I have a 32 Gb microSD (it takes up to 128 Gb) full of tunes and it works great as a music player. All in all, I like the windows phone experience better than the android. Except the android supports encryption, it is unlikely Windows phone ever will. tammerlane.

• Tetley and Bruce like this

Posted Image

dzadelis

dzadelis

Sr Member

• BW9 VIP Platinum
  • 223 posts

I own the Lumia 640 XL LTE in orange color... and I honestly adore it guys!!! :headbang:

Looking forward to Windows 10 mobile upgrade... ;)

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 1 other like this

Posted Image

Bruce

Bruce

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 274 posts

I'm in Sydney for a conference in Feb so I'll visit the new MS store whilst there and check out the new phones 640 XL here we come lol

It'll be interesting to see how much it is with the Oz prices being what they are :(

• cognizione and Tetley like this

r77mnl.png

Velocity

Velocity

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 208 posts

I'm waiting for the new 950 and 950XL due out on the 20th I believe. That one should be da bomb!

• Tetley and Bruce like this

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users