Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Windows CE 6

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

jackslap

jackslap

• BW9 Donator +
  • 28 posts

I just bought a Tim Hortons net book , e700 Wince series , browser will not browse, would it be possible to install a different operating system on this little thing . If not , would it be possible to update the ce 6 to something higher, or the browser at least, thanks for any suggestions .

Posted Image

Dahaka

Dahaka

Backup & HDD Tools Moderator

• 3,614 posts

Why did you buy it?  :mrgreen:  These things mostly run with what they come - they just don't have the computing power to run anything else - that WinCE that it has on it - it is a customized version of Windows already. And if it does not run OK for you, you would be better off returning it.

There is an update allegedly: https://www.microsof...s.aspx?id=41927

eranar

eranar

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 160 posts

first Q too, why did you buy it, it's from 2010. after Windows CE 6 (from 2006) was Windows CE 7 (from 2011)

but i don't think your hardware will work with it. if this is the hardware you have:

CPU: VIA WM VT8500 ( ARM 926EJ-S )
RAM: 128MB DDR2
2GB NAND FLASH

A. It is very, very likely that getting a proper Linux environment to run on the thing will take you a huge amount of time

B. Hardware support on Linux might not be very good (for instance some peripherals might not work)

C. The computing power of this device is very, very low. No matter the software, the hardware is not powerful enough even to stream YouTube videos.

With all this in mind, I think the most efficient solution for you would be to buy a cheap (but recent) Atom-based, Ubuntu-supported Netbook.

• Dahaka likes this

v8enw3.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users