Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Non Gamer, would appriciate feedback,

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

divingbrit

divingbrit

Sr Member

• BW9 VIP Platinum
  • 119 posts

(just an idea, not yet bought/ built )

The machine is mostly used for  Text work, PHP programming, and I use Microsoft Office and Adobe products, but not a lot of Image correcting.

almost forget, browsing to this site very often :razz:

Case

COOLERMASTER SILENCIO 452 QUIET MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)

AMD SEMPRON 3850 QuadCore APU (1.3GHz/AM1) & Radeon™ HD 8280
Motherboard

ASUS® AM1M-A: (M-ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, 6Gb/s)
Memory (RAM)

16GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card

1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 750 - DVI, mHDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready  Deleted

Primery Disk

Plextor 256GB M6e PCI-Express (upto 770MB/sR | 580MB/sW)     Added
2nd  Hard Disk

1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE  Smaller
1st DVD/BLU-RAY

Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply

CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY Upgraded
Processor Cooling STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

Edited by divingbrit, 09 May 2015 - 10:25 AM.

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 5 others like this

Posted Image

Cyberstalker

Cyberstalker

Decepticon

• BW9 Donator +
  • 790 posts

sounds nice, only thing id add is a ssd for the os and games to run off of and use the 2tb as the secondary drive.

• dave, alfreire, cognizione and 4 others like this

Posted Image

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,885 posts

I would give responders an idea what your uses are Normally are & the Most Tasking operations that you would use your new build for.

sounds nice, only thing id add is a ssd for the os and games to run off of and use the 2tb as the secondary drive.

+1 Ditto on this. Once you use a SSD for an OS drive, you can never go back. I keep my secondary OS on a partition of ny mech drive, and it's maddeningly slow to use, compared to the OS on the SSD.

• alfreire, cognizione, sdm5821 and 4 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

sdm5821

sdm5821

Sr Member

• BW9 VIP Platinum
  • 1,805 posts

I would consider bumping the power supply up.  Maybe Corsair's 600w builder series.  It's still on the low end expense wise for an initial build but it will handle more and offer greater reliability.  And definitely go with an SSD for your main HD.

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 4 others like this

Posted Image

ibm650

ibm650

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,196 posts

If you are a non-gamer and do not use it for much, pick up a dual core dell vostro 230 for less than $100 on ebay.

• divingbrit, Cyberstalker and roady like this

2n72sna.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,885 posts

Well since you aren't a gamer a tradeoff of the discrete graphics (1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 750) > an SSD would be a wise choice IMO.

A motherboard with onboard graphics should suit your needs, as most nowdays are pretty decent & can lite game as well as route to TV or multiple monitors just fine.

• cognizione, sdm5821, Tetley and 5 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,158 posts

IMHO,your CPU is underpowered for the rest of your system....the GTX 750 won't give you much benefit if the processor can't keep up......16 GB RAM is OK,but I'd prefer 8 GB of RAM and a stronger processor for the price difference......but that's just my 2c,of course...;)

• dave, cognizione, sdm5821 and 5 others like this

nda92u.png

Motto of the Malinois Shepherd : 'Semper fi.'till my death does us part.'

divingbrit

divingbrit

Sr Member

• BW9 VIP Platinum
  • 119 posts

Love the idea of the primary SSD , size?

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 3 others like this

Posted Image

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,885 posts

As big as you can afford.  :histerija:

I actually have both Windows 8.1 & W10b10074 installed dual boot on my small 80 Gb SSD ATM, so 120 - 250Gb would suffice. 

• cognizione, Tetley, Dahaka and 4 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

Cyberstalker

Cyberstalker

Decepticon

• BW9 Donator +
  • 790 posts

As big as you can afford.  :histerija:

I actually have both Windows 8.1 & W10b10074 installed dual boot on my small 80 Gb SSD ATM, so 120 - 250Gb would suffice. 

basically yeah what dave said, if you can afford it buy it, but really for basic stuff and os shouldnt need anything over 120gb since youll have the 2tb secondary.

• dave, cognizione, divingbrit and 2 others like this

Posted Image

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,885 posts

Yeah my Storage drive is small in comparison, but look at what I do with 2 Drives ona laptop, not even including the Virtual Machines in the E drive that all the OSes share, plus image backups that I restore where ever I wish.

Triple%20boot.PNG

• hacktrix2006, sdm5821, Tetley and 2 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006

• BW9 Donator +
  • 661 posts

Nice setup there @dave.

Depending on your Budget i.e Ideal and Max, if you main use is not gaming and just Office/Light Rendering then ditch the GPU and get a normal sized SSD (120-240GB) for OS and a small SSD (32-60GB) for scratch disc if your using Adobe Products.

• dave, Maxed and roady like this

25qr9cy.png

My Current Gaming System

MSI GT72 6QD: Intel i7 6700HQ, 16GB DDR4, 256GB Samsung nVME SM951, 2x 1TB SanDisk X400 M.2, 1TB Hitachi HDD @7200RPM, nVidia GTX970M 6GB, Realtek 898 ALC with Nahimic and Dynaudio Speakers. Windows 10 Home OEM:DM upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (Legit). 230w PSU.

Stonefly

Stonefly

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 112 posts

ssd as folks said here is a good idea.  If you can't afford that I would suggest an sshd.  I just installed one in my iMac and it runs faster than a regular hd.  They have a 2TB seagate on newegg for $119

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 2 others like this

2jee455.png

divingbrit

divingbrit

Sr Member

• BW9 VIP Platinum
  • 119 posts

Have taken on board your thoughts, and I thank all of you. As I explained I do not play games on my machine,

So I have  downgraded the Graphic card,  Installed an ssd as a Primary disk,  downgraded the Hard drive, (but I do have an external 1tb drive)

and upgraded the power supply.

Doing that has pushed the cost up by 20% to £600 ($925) 

Not planning to send my order in till next week, gives me time to ponder

Have I now got the right machine, :dontknow:

• dave and roady like this

Posted Image

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,158 posts

Have I now got the right machine, :dontknow:

Only you can answer that.........as @ the end,you have to build your computer to your likings,not ours. ;)

No offense,but I would go a totally different way for that budget,I'd even consider a laptop with decent specs and SSD instead.... :)

• dave, Tetley and Dahaka like this

nda92u.png

divingbrit

divingbrit

Sr Member

• BW9 VIP Platinum
  • 119 posts

I have a 17" Asus laptop, but its hardly ever out of its bag.  I prefer the 'old fashion' way, but with two monitors and a very very big desk .

Asking what others would do is certainly very helpful, last machine was built well over five years ago, and things change so much.  I don't keep up with the latest hardware, and over the last 30 years, (started with a ZX80) I can't type any faster, and for that matter  can't think any faster. But I do want a machine that will be future proof for at least a few years. Touch Screens and voice recognition are not too my taste, Mention I am not a gamer, I learned that when I tried 'Doom' never got off the first screen!

• dave, sdm5821, Tetley and 1 other like this

Posted Image

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,158 posts

I have a 17" Asus laptop, but its hardly ever out of its bag.  I prefer the 'old fashion' way, but with two monitors and a very very big desk .

Ah,IC......I'm @ my laptop now,but also have an eyefinity setup with 3 screens on a big desk......I jump from the 1 to the other according to my needs ..... :)

But I do want a machine that will be future proof for at least a few years.

Is there any special reason why you wanna stay with the Sempron and the m-atx board?I noticed that you upgraded other components to a whole different league after removing the dedicated GPU from your list,but I think this makes the CPU even more a culprit,as your other components never won't reach their  limits........JM2C,of course... ;)

Mention I am not a gamer, I learned that when I tried 'Doom' never got off the first screen!

LMAO! :histerija:

I'm in the same boat for FPS games,as I've almost no depth view,due to my bad left eye,so I'm not speedy enough in my reactions to 'the enemy'   :histerija: .......but I do like racing games and action-exploring games! :headbang:

• dave, Tetley, Dahaka and 2 others like this

nda92u.png

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Gamer with needs lol

• Global Moderator
  • 2,741 posts
Good specs if you don't game and not going to do any hardcore gaming on the system.

A 2 GHz CPU or higher would be better (loading apps and your adobe apps will like you more)
A SSD around 500GB will do (if you can got the cash for it). Make it windows drive only works too and you will see a big difference with a few apps on it and rest on a normal hdd.
Power supply yea a 600 +, remember the bigger the less strain it will take and last longer on your system.

I think that is all I would change for what your saying its being used for and give you a bit of room for play around with things too.
  • cognizione, Tetley, Dahaka and 2 others like this

2wpiemh.png

divingbrit

divingbrit

Sr Member

• BW9 VIP Platinum
  • 119 posts

Last question, (maybe)

SSD Primary drive, both about the same size and price, but full specs seem very confusing, lots of long words, that mean nothing to mere mortals.

240GB KINGSTON HYPER-X PREDATOR PCIe SSD (up to 1400MB/sR | 600MB/sW)
or a
Plextor 256GB M6e PCI-Express (upto 770MB/sR | 580MB/sW)

Thanks

• dave and cognizione like this

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users