Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Definition of 'Unlocking' for Windows Phone?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

ukgovsucks

ukgovsucks

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 173 posts

Ahhhh... that's better. Just got back on Windows Phone after getting rid of my Sony Xperia Z3 running Android. (Only had this for 2 months. lol)

My new Windows Phone is actually secondhand but almost new. It's a Nokia Lumia 930 with all the bells and whistles. Anyway. As I live here in (what was) 'Great' Britain, the phone is locked to Vodafone. As I didn't want the crappy services of Vodafone (in my area anyway), I wanted the phone unlocking. So of course, before I paid someone to do it, I scoured the net and found countless articles on how to unlock the phone via developer methods etc. However, every article was referring to unlocking to allow certain apps onto the phone, but none of them said that the unlocking would allow you to use other network sims!?

Am I right in assuming that this so called 'unlocking' is not the same as the unlocking for the usage of any network?

By the way, I've since gave into temptation and paid some ebay chap for an unlock code. :biggrin:

Just interested if anyone has got any info on this.

• dave, alfreire, cognizione and 2 others like this

2eyic8h.png

Cyberstalker

Cyberstalker

Decepticon

• BW9 Donator +
  • 761 posts

usually with carrier "unlocking" you have to call the carrier the phone is locked to, shoulda saved the money and just called vodafone

• dave, alfreire, cognizione and 1 other like this

Posted Image

ukgovsucks

ukgovsucks

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 173 posts

usually with carrier "unlocking" you have to call the carrier the phone is locked to, shoulda saved the money and just called vodafone

I glanced at the Vodafone website, and it stated £19.99!!! lol.

Got it on ebay for about £5. Slightly better. :biggrin:

• dave, cognizione and Maxed like this

2eyic8h.png

Cyberstalker

Cyberstalker

Decepticon

• BW9 Donator +
  • 761 posts

I glanced at the Vodafone website, and it stated £19.99!!! lol.

Got it on ebay for about £5. Slightly better. :biggrin:

wow, even verizon scumbags dont charge.  then yup, i woulda went the ebay route too (or checked xda-developers first)

• dave, ukgovsucks and Maxed like this

Posted Image

ukgovsucks

ukgovsucks

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 173 posts

Hey, this is Britain. We get overcharged or taxed on everything!!

:banghead:

• Tetley, Cyberstalker and Maxed like this

2eyic8h.png

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

• Global Moderator
  • 3,695 posts

I would think that trying to load Windows 10 TP might do it?

• ukgovsucks and Maxed like this

1zbfi1f.jpg

ukgovsucks

ukgovsucks

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 173 posts

I would think that trying to load Windows 10 TP might do it?

Who knows. I was tempted to stick Windows 10 on the phone (build 10080) but from the videos I've seen it seems a bit slow and partly broken from what I remember. I'll wait until it's out proper I think. My phone is unlocked now anyway. Roll on July when Windows 10 is actually out (hopefully). :headbang:

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 1 other like this

2eyic8h.png

Korupt2009

Korupt2009

• BW9 Donator +
  • 89 posts

yes don't load up win 10 yet especially on a 930, way to many bugs on that device to use it. I have it loaded on my spare 830 and apart from all the resuming screens for the start menu it is coming along nicely.

Windows 10 will not carrier unlock your device but it will eventually developer unlock your device. Only way to carrier unlock is thru the carrier or an online unlocking service.

• dave, ukgovsucks, cognizione and 2 others like this

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users