Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SideSwipe-NCC-1701-J

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Dahaka

Dahaka

Backup & HDD Tools Moderator

• 3,616 posts
Hey there! I had to rebuild one of my desktops. The motherboard chipset had been playing nasty for some time and it ended up not being able to boot off any drive. Now I have to sell the old Phenom Agena 9600 and 6GB of RAM. All the rest of the parts could be used with my next (re)build. Anyway, before going out on me, that desktop gave one final show – I finished playing Witcher 3 and it was quite a blast.

I was tempted to go the Intel route this time, but an i7 in my area was way too insanely expensive for my “emergency budget”, so I went with an AMD APU. I don’t regret it. I am getting as they say “bang for the buck” – so it’s all good.

I decided to call my new build SideSwipe-NCC-1701-J, based on two things I like very much: the SideSwipe autobot and the coolest Enterprise Ship ever (in my opinion) – the NCC-1701-J.

1vpknOVa.png fWGvP3aP.png

On with the show & tell:
Processor:
AMD APU A10 7870K @ 4.2GHz 

YbG9tRQN.jpg

Yeah, I know they can go Turbo up to 4.1, but my motherboard gives it a little extra juice. I haven’t tested any further as I am still using an air-cooler, Scythe Samurai ZZ Rev.B, from my previous build.
qJCRgfv9.png 0d4ekrI2.png

Motherboard Asus A88X-Gamer:
t5LhTrSu.png

RAM: Kingston HyperX BEAST 8GB (2x4GB), DDR3, 1600MHz, CL9, 1.65V, XMP & AMP - 4 modules (16GB total - I can work with that, + the price was extremely tempting)

xsilqjnK.png

SSD from the old build: Samsung SSD 840 120GB (I will get a 250GB Samsung EVO soon...):
MQBBmRiw.jpg

• Neige, dave, alfreire and 10 others like this

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,616 posts
Other parts from the old system:

Case: Raidmax Altas Black Window:
HeFnfoZU.pngx6AGyGki.pngf5Zoyt6S.png 0bgqlvzf.png

A GTX 750 Ti (I may upgrade later to something on 256bit...):
KUEaXpbS.pngWyJrIxlE.png
an older 7.1 Soundblaster Xtreme Audio:

A2hN3IKy.png

Some older USB 2.0 bracket:

F3AZgcJH.jpg

And an USB 3.0  bracket (so I can have 2 extra USB 3.0 ports):

w6K8by3Q.jpg

a 1080p 21inch Philips 226V display:

59x5BoPy.png
Power Source: Thermaltake Toughpower 600w (since 2007 :mrgreen:)
3TMnjpn7.png

• Neige, Snuffy, alfreire and 7 others like this

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,616 posts
Some additional playbit pics:

A side view:

HmxME1xw.jpg

and a front view with one of external HDDs on it:

qbkFr6yU.jpg

Oh, I had the LED kit from the old build - but I don't keep it turned on all the time. It's just for good looks.

Mouse: Redragon Mammoth 16000 DPI:

dMCRyOa.jpg

Keyboard: Microsoft Reclusa
fBe69vK.jpg

Additional screenshots with info:

xMGzEcpg.pngru2wKd8U.pngTt2x821a.pngUtQF27FH.pngRc9G3vXh.pngwQRk3g0g.png

And now some crazy-shots:

cU7MI37A.png9b6GacWr.pngxzIZrmFy.pngG4Zta4PM.png

Oh, wait, did I show you the bada$$ wallpaper I made for it?
oo5dyNlJ.png

Now for some additional info:

I was able to get about 45-50 FPS in Crysis 3 on medium to high settings, and 30-60 FPS in Witcher 3 High settings (it's not that it's a performance challenge, but I really don't like the bloom and blur settings on - they annoy me visually so I turned them off). I have 2 additional WD HDDs, one 2TB and a 600Gb one - those are used more for storage. I also have 3 DVD-RW units, one Sony, 2 Samsung. My SSD, the Samsung 840 is not on the Samsung RAPID-mode supported list - not because it can't do that, but because Samsung is a greedy company sometimes. And so, I am using a proprietary software to accelerate my SSD through RAM caching - so the speed is 50% dependent on how much RAM is selected for SSD extra speed. So far, it's going crazy-awesome as you can see in the screenshots above.

What I could not test so far, because I don't have Windows 10 yet, is the critically acclaimed feature of DirectX 12 - namely that I could use multiple brand and types of video cards to get more performance or better FPS, but I'll let you know as soon as I get Windows 10 on it. I (re)made this system with Windows 10 in mind, so I'll test out how it performs on Windows 10 RTM.

• Neige, Snuffy, dave and 13 others like this

Maxed

Maxed

SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 8,751 posts

Thats a nice build good choice of parts. :)

• Snuffy, dave, creamop66 and 5 others like this

MaxedSig.png

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,616 posts

Thank you. I'm proud of these choices. ;)  :occasion14:

• Snuffy, creamop66 and roady like this

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Gamer with needs lol

• Global Moderator
  • 2,691 posts

Very nice hun, great job on that build.. Would not change a thing on it.

• Snuffy, creamop66, Dahaka and 1 other like this

2wpiemh.png

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,616 posts

Thanks. I can't wait to try Windows 10 RTM Enterprise on it.  :biggrin:  :occasion14:  :mrgreen:  ;)

• Snuffy, creamop66, cognizione and 1 other like this

Keymaster

Keymaster

• Global Moderator
  • 1,693 posts

Now there is showing what you got and just plain Showing off.....lol   Just kidding... I do like it... Great job

• Snuffy, Tetley, Dahaka and 1 other like this

ALL MY RARS REQUIRE NEWEST WINRAR

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,616 posts

Thank you! I loved sharing the info about this desktop with you all. :love4:  :occasion14:  ;)

• Snuffy, Tetley and roady like this

cognizione

cognizione

T.A.A.B # 2

• Administrators
  • 7,316 posts

Enjoy Dahaka... :occasion14:

• Snuffy, Tetley, soundstyler and 2 others like this

tGX16tl.png

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,644 posts

I always build mine with Blue LED's these days. First I like blue and second it doesn't blind you, kind of a relaxing hue. How do you like that Redragon mouse and are you a gamer? Never had the chance to try one of those before.

• Snuffy, cognizione, Dahaka and 1 other like this

o89e9t.png

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,616 posts

Yes. I love playing games. Mostly fast-paced shooters like Unreal, RPGs like Gothic, Risen, Witcher, Prince of Persia (new) games. Action games in general and games with a good story.
About the Mammoth Redragon mouse: it's the best mouse I've had so far - yes, it can be set to have the lights in blue and the laser sensor is great. It's very confortable for me. It beats hands down any other mouse brands out there in my opinion.

• slacker and Maxed like this

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,644 posts

I mean I got a good mouse, but I like to change things up from time to time. I will be adding at the Mammoth Redragon to my list. I'm using the Logitech G9X COD mouse right now. It's working, but you know... sometimes I just get an itch to try something new. :razz:

I have an small group on Steam, we usually get together to play Arma 3, but sometimes we play other games. Though it is hard to get us all together at the same time (time zones and life as it is). You don't have to play Arma to join group, just let me know if you'd like to join. The more the merrier! :headbang:

• Snuffy, cognizione, Dahaka and 1 other like this

o89e9t.png

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,616 posts

I'll check out my schedule and let you know on a private message.

• Snuffy, slacker and Tetley like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users