Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CLEAN INSTALL 'No Go' n SSD (SOLVED)

Clean Install - SSD SSD

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

White Tiger

White Tiger

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 247 posts

Seems I cannot do a clean install of Windows 10 on my laptop's SSD.

Windows locks the drive.

Attempt to use DISKPART to no avail, drive remains locked.

Anyone ?

• gip and toptek like this

qn8fnk.png

Keymaster

Keymaster

• Global Moderator
  • 1,692 posts

is this a different ssd that was installed on laptop? or was this the one that came with it. need some more info before we can fully answer.

Also is this an Asus laptop? Asus is bad for this. Also how are you installing from a USB or DVD

• Snuffy, volvo, White Tiger and 3 others like this

ALL MY RARS REQUIRE NEWEST WINRAR

soundstyler

soundstyler

• BW9 Donator +
  • 932 posts

I have a question since I have no ssd's yet but I do have 6 sata  drives, different sizes, makes, speeds and still confused what is meant by "windows locks the drive" and yet it won't install?? Maybe it's the wording that has me confused as to this problem??

• Snuffy likes this

Posted Image

bstiff

bstiff

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 317 posts

You many want to read your owner manual/support on your ssd drive.  I know with the samsung there is software they allows you to wipe the drive correctly. The thing i didnt like is you have to open the drive to release the lock on the drive.

so check with the manufacture on how to wipe the drive.

• Maxed likes this

vysk1h.png

White Tiger

White Tiger

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 247 posts

is this a different ssd that was installed on laptop? or was this the one that came with it. need some more info before we can fully answer.

Also is this an Asus laptop? Asus is bad for this. Also how are you installing from a USB or DVD

Is SSD on my old Packard-Bell laptop.

Clean install of WIN10 (usb key) is a 'no go' whereas WIN8.1 gives no problems.

Partitioned successfully with DISKPART, drive shows up in windows 10 setup screen.

On continue, Windows setup tells me 'can't create a new partition or locate an existing one'

• Tetley, soundstyler and Thekid1 like this

qn8fnk.png

sam3971

sam3971

• Global Moderator
  • 1,718 posts

Might be an issue with the controller driver that windows 10 setup is using. You can usually get that driver from the manufacture, download it, put in on a USB or disk and load it with setup prior to clicking the ssd for install. See if that makes a difference.

• Sandwichman, Tetley and Maxed like this

Posted Image

Keymaster

Keymaster

• Global Moderator
  • 1,692 posts

ok I have seen this before it has to do with how its formated, I know you said DISKPART created a partition was this through the setup process? or was it partitioned first then try to install. I had the same proglem with a computer about 2 weeks ago I did an install but had to do the install and let the setup do this by chosing the custom install and then find the disk remove the partition ten add it and format was able to install windows 10 with no problem, if this is what you did then I am at a loss for now.

• volvo, cognizione, Sandwichman and 2 others like this

White Tiger

White Tiger

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 247 posts

ok I have seen this before it has to do with how its formated, I know you said DISKPART created a partition was this through the setup process? or was it partitioned first then try to install. I had the same proglem with a computer about 2 weeks ago I did an install but had to do the install and let the setup do this by chosing the custom install and then find the disk remove the partition ten add it and format was able to install windows 10 with no problem, if this is what you did then I am at a loss for now.

The laptop I'm using, was used to fiddle around with windows 10 IP's.

Decided now to do a clean install of Windows 10 so I started the install process through my USB-key.

Came into setup mode were the partitions are shown (only one drive installed) and where I deleted all partitions to get to a fresh and clean install.

I tried different methods:

In setup installing without creation of a partition

In setup Installing with creation of a partition.

In setup installing with creation and format of a partition.

So far 'no go'

Windows message =  'could't create a new partition or locate an existing one' :roll:

Then went into the repair mode to the command prompt.

Here I chose the disk and created a primary partition after clean, activated, formatted NTFS, assigned drive letter.

This partition shows up after return to windows setup, same message appears ...

Windows message =  'could't create a new partition or locate an existing one' :roll:

Looking further, Windows tells me the drive is locked and to unlock it to proceed ... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

qn8fnk.png

Keymaster

Keymaster

• Global Moderator
  • 1,692 posts

ok not sure if this will be in your bios since its an older computer but look in there for a setting about UEFI if you do see it make sure that the secure boot and fast boot is not enabled

• volvo, Tetley and soundstyler like this

Keymaster

Keymaster

• Global Moderator
  • 1,692 posts

Also this may sound funny but if you have another computer with bitlocker installed look at drive with it and make sure its not bitlocked

• volvo and Dahaka like this

White Tiger

White Tiger

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 247 posts

ok not sure if this will be in your bios since its an older computer but look in there for a setting about UEFI if you do see it make sure that the secure boot and fast boot is not enabled

There are no setting alterations possible in Bios.

Laptop = Packard-Bell EasyNote MH36

I tried to install WIN10 just in the same way as I installed WIN8.1

WIN8.1 = No problems installing

WIN10 = 'no go'

qn8fnk.png

Keymaster

Keymaster

• Global Moderator
  • 1,692 posts

have you had windows 10 on this laptop before? some motherboards will not support it. check to see if there is an updated bios for your MB that may support windows 10 if not I can suggest install windows 8.1 then after you do do an upgrade. will still be like a clean install.

• volvo likes this

bstiff

bstiff

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 317 posts

Once again dont want to seem like a nag, but your ssd should of come with a software package for this function.  if you dont have it, check with the manufacture for it. Ssd s general don't get formated, they get reset when you do a cleaning or secure erase of the drive.  Essentially it send a spike to the drive to clear it contents.  I am going to give you a link take a look at it .

http://www.makeuseof...out-destroying/

• White Tiger, Keymaster and Tetley like this

vysk1h.png

Keymaster

Keymaster

• Global Moderator
  • 1,692 posts

great info bstiff..... You know it completly slippped my mind about ssd'd....... had a brain fart..... LOL

• volvo likes this

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,624 posts

Can not create a partition --Ok how to bypass

1. create a CLEAN Partition at least 50GB to start with.

2. Open you win 10 iso and extract the Install WIM to sample

E:\wim

suppose the Clean Partition is D:\

OK open GImageX move  and let GImageX apply the win10 install.wim to D:\

ok when its done it will ask to reboot, and it will auto CHANGE D:\ to C:\  then boot to an start the SETUP.

my slower than crap 5400 RPM take 7 min your SSD should be faster than crap.

That my friend is a CLEAN FAST INSTALL

Im not going to try and explain how to let the iso create a partation

Seems I cannot do a clean install of Windows 10 on my laptop's SSD.

Windows locks the drive.  no its just not accessable that way -- NOT LOCKED

Attempt to use DISKPART to no avail, drive remains locked.

Anyone ?

• White Tiger, cognizione, Tetley and 1 other like this

96ccd5e8-d519-4cda-9053-631ef1c070b8_zps

White Tiger

White Tiger

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 247 posts

Can not create a partition --Ok how to bypass

1. create a CLEAN Partition at least 50GB to start with.

2. Open you win 10 iso and extract the Install WIM to sample

E:\wim

suppose the Clean Partition is D:\

OK open GImageX move  and let GImageX apply the win10 install.wim to D:\

ok when its done it will ask to reboot, and it will auto CHANGE D:\ to C:\  then boot to an start the SETUP.

my slower than crap 5400 RPM take 7 min your SSD should be faster than crap.

That my friend is a CLEAN FAST INSTALL

Im not going to try and explain how to let the iso create a partation

Thanks Snuffy, I have no problems with this workaround, I'm into this for way to long.

What I'm trying to find is an easy install of WIN 10 that just anyone can do, you know, just insert USB or DVD and install the OS.
Most of my friends are just laptop or Pc users with little or non of this knowledge.

I don't see them do all of this ...

Leaves the question unanswered why WIN8.1 installs flawless & WIN10 creates all this fuss on the same system.

• soundstyler likes this

qn8fnk.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,624 posts

Basically the problem you "say" is well known by MS, and the workaround was provided by MS,

so until MS provides a positive 100% (laughable as hell) fix. many are stuck with the "workaround" I provided.

I could also give you the exact method MS provided, but honestly for the general public I provided a

Easier - anybody can do  -  due to easy to understand.  and most of the GA are scared crappless when it comes to

cmd prompt and type a script.

and many reports of failure during TP and IP - which MS only provided to "Here is  a workaround" this is just like The NO DVD or CD Drive being found, MS still has not fixed this, but have provided a "workaround" that still works today for Windows 10.

sample:

insert DVD and Boot to DVD or USB (your choice)

move thru to advanced where you find command prompt

FORMAT =======================

C:\WINDOWS\system32>format /?
Formats a disk for use with Windows.

FORMAT volume [/FS:file-system] [/V:label] [/Q] [/L] [/A:size] [/C] [/I:state] [/X] [/P:passes] [/S:state]
FORMAT volume [/V:label] [/Q] [/F:size] [/P:passes]
FORMAT volume [/V:label] [/Q] [/T:tracks /N:sectors] [/P:passes]
FORMAT volume [/V:label] [/Q] [/P:passes]
FORMAT volume [/Q]

volume          Specifies the drive letter (followed by a colon),
                  mount point, or volume name.
  /FS:filesystem  Specifies the type of the file system (FAT, FAT32, exFAT,
                  NTFS, UDF, ReFS).
  /V:label        Specifies the volume label.
  /Q              Performs a quick format. Note that this switch overrides /P.
  /C              NTFS only: Files created on the new volume will be compressed
                  by default.
  /X              Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.  All opened
                  handles to the volume would no longer be valid.
  /R:revision     UDF only: Forces the format to a specific UDF version
                  (1.02, 1.50, 2.00, 2.01, 2.50).  The default
                  revision is 2.01.
  /D              UDF 2.50 only: Metadata will be duplicated.
  /L              NTFS Only: Use large size file records.
                  By default, the volume will be formatted with small size file
                  records.

==============================

Na, and many many simply say NO (i'm scared to try a script) I will not, i'll wait until MS Fixes -  so programers make it a GUI (pretty pictures where are really shortcuts)

G: = DVD or USB Drive letter

dism /Apply-Image /Imagefile:G:\sources\install.wim /index:1 /ApplyDir:C:\

• White Tiger and OliverAbbA like this

White Tiger

White Tiger

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 247 posts

Basically the problem you "say" is well known by MS, and the workaround was provided by MS,

so until MS provides a positive 100% (laughable as hell) fix. many are stuck with the "workaround" I provided.

Correct ... :mrgreen:

qn8fnk.png

soundstyler

soundstyler

• BW9 Donator +
  • 932 posts

Maybe it's just me. I feel as if I've read every issue with any manner of installs and patterns are appearing now but in two sets. Those that stayed insiders are not having hardly any of the issues the General public is having and the issues of the public seem to be quite similar but not so much to the Insiders. So now this has revealed it's ugly head, how to get around this. First, the patterns were mobo's and AV programs. Then assorted other hardware. Now it' seem there are far more ssd issues reported by the public as the peak issue with insiders is the USB 3.0 functions not responding or recognizing correct. So what's different? Is there 2 methods used for the 2 groups?  I'm starting to believe there is. Insiders get a test, and it works it goes to the public right away. Another part of the public code is now on and an issue get's solved. It's started to look like some of this "issue"  stuff will only clear once past the insiders tests and now it seems the BIG issues are of SSD's. There just may not be a fast answer. This lifetime Beta is twisted to what we would normally expect from prior OSes. All normal fixes are not apparently working until this area clears the insiders enough to release. Some simple problems with multiple EASY fixes continue to fail until another update of insider accepted code is released. My thoughts. This release to the world was rushed and far too many issues to be globally available even TODAY.

• Snuffy and White Tiger like this

Posted Image

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,624 posts

Yes, and I feel that "Insiders" are a lot more TECHIE than the GA. so Techs have a much better idea on how to fix MS screws, and also I think it would have been much BETTER for eveybody to FEEDBACK. but i have found that when you ask " far more say NO on Feedback then Yes on Feedback.   Sort of like GA is scared to try and LEARN script (which is basically DOS).  but then I feel the MAJORITY of

are "WHAT IS DOS, what are Floppies,  and NO way will I try this BAT or CMD file.

so NO FEEDBACK means very little FIX. I still give FEEDBACK, not every day but I still give FEEDBACK on IMO SHIT that needs fixed.

and many of the "workarounds" are actually provided by MS, while the other "workarounds" are provided by "Techies".

• White Tiger, soundstyler and holenderski like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users