Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Windows not genuine?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

h8isgr8

h8isgr8

• Members
  • 6 posts

I bought an Asus T200TA for my daughter last year and she called me today saying that she was locked out of the desktop because it said that windows was not genuine. It was purchsed brand new from newegg.

Is there anything I can tell her to try over the phone? I won't see her in person for a few days.

Thanks

• Snuffy, Cyberstalker and Maxed like this

Maxed

Maxed

SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 8,747 posts

That is very weird I have never seen a windows 8./8.1 Show not genuine and even if it wasn't it would still boot to the desktop and prompt you to buy a key which in this case is embedded in the bios.I am wondering why she would be locked out did she forget her password possibly?

Nice looking model too.

• Snuffy, alfreire, soundstyler and 2 others like this

MaxedSig.png

h8isgr8

h8isgr8

• Members
  • 6 posts

She said she can still use apps. I think she was trying to use skype desktop when it gave her the warning.

I was sleeping when she called so I was kind of out of it and didn't ask too many questions.

She's only 13 btw.

• Snuffy, GODAMONGUS, alfreire and 3 others like this

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,638 posts

Yeah with the embedded BIOS key in W8/8.1 her biggest concern would be malware sending that sort of flag. Malwarebytes is free and does an excellent job, but I never opt in for the Free Premium Trial (uncheck), as that is their motivation for giving such a nice freebie.  ;)

• Snuffy, alfreire, Tetley and 3 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

Swampfox56

Swampfox56

• BW9 Donator +
  • 75 posts

Yeah with the embedded BIOS key in W8/8.1 her biggest concern would be malware sending that sort of flag. Malwarebytes is free and does an excellent job, but I never opt in for the Free Premium Trial (uncheck), as that is their motivation for giving such a nice freebie.  ;)

This. 

It sounds like she caught a Trojan. A Trojan Horse is a malicious piece of software that purposely disguises itself as one thing - but once installed, does something totally different. These types of Viruses (more properly termed Malware now a days) are particularly common. They make themselves look like Official Microsoft Notifications, but are actually just trying to get your Credit Card # buy "ordering a new license key".

As Dave said - Malwarebytes should take care of it ;) If not - you can always try AVG or Avast (those are other popular, free malware protection.)

• Snuffy, soundstyler and Maxed like this

qzxqnIu.png

We share... because we care...

h8isgr8

h8isgr8

• Members
  • 6 posts

Ok, I talked to her on the phone again and it turns out it was just one of those malicious browser pop-ups that won't let you close them. I guess windows update ran and automatically restarted the machine, force closing the browser. After the restart she said everything was fine. I explained to her how to end a task in case it happens again and had her run CCleaner to get rid of any rotten cookies.

The only security I have set up on the machine is Defender, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, and Adblock Plus. Is there something better suited to prevent those kind of pop-ups that won't bog the hardware down?

Thanks for all the replies.

• Snuffy, cognizione and Maxed like this

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,090 posts

Is there something better suited to prevent those kind of pop-ups that won't bog the hardware down?

Perhaps the free version of SandBoxie...... :

http://www.sandboxie...wnloadSandboxie

You can set it up to automaticly delete browser sessions when closing the sandboxed browser......stubborn (infected) sessions can be closed with a rightclick on the systray icon and select 'terminate all programs'....

In the 4 years I'm using it,nothing escaped YET..... :headbang: 

• Snuffy, dave, soundstyler and 2 others like this

nda92u.png

Motto of the Malinois Shepherd : 'Semper fi.'till my death do us part.'

BSSR1

BSSR1

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 444 posts

ESET >>> Not FREE but will really protect her... Free is NOT GOOD!!!!!! IMHO

• soundstyler, Maxed and Dela Mafia like this

301mqnk.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,624 posts

I'm old, I'm frugal, I use almost all FREE, but then that is what Beta Testers do..

• TDBke, Maxed and hypermaxxx like this

96ccd5e8-d519-4cda-9053-631ef1c070b8_zps

Swampfox56

Swampfox56

• BW9 Donator +
  • 75 posts

Ok, I talked to her on the phone again and it turns out it was just one of those malicious browser pop-ups that won't let you close them. I guess windows update ran and automatically restarted the machine, force closing the browser. After the restart she said everything was fine. I explained to her how to end a task in case it happens again and had her run CCleaner to get rid of any rotten cookies.

The only security I have set up on the machine is Defender, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, and Adblock Plus. Is there something better suited to prevent those kind of pop-ups that won't bog the hardware down?

Get rid of Adblock Plus. They blatantly copied the original author of Adblock, and he had to change the original/best version of Adblocker to something else. It's now called "Betafish Adblock" (though Chrome still calls it Adblock on the extension page.) Anyways, get this one instead. It works MUCH better and uses less resources. 

As for "Adblocking Software" - I'd honestly consider taking a bit of a system slowdown. Why? Well, I'm not a parent. But I feel I can safely assume that there's plenty of things on the Internet I wouldn't want a child seeing (although you didn't say how old your daughter is. But I'm assuming she's in her pre-teens or younger. If that's the case...). I grew up right when the internet was just starting to boom (were talking 1998-2004 here). Website/adblockers were non-existent during this period. 

As a child I was fascinated by computers. Just absolutely obsessed with everything about them (tbh I still am, but that's beside the point). I learned all the engeineering behind computers, how the components fit together, how hardware isn't the only requirement - but rather software is needed to tell the hardware what to do. Etc... Because of this - my dad gave me his old Desktop computer when he got a new one. I was maybe 6 years old? But I believe 5. 

My dad wanted me to have my own email. Not because I needed one, but because he knew that I would find the transfer of messages over a wire fascinating. So, I had a computer in my room, with Internet at the age of 5 (or 6). I accidentally stumbled upon many things that a child my age had no business of knowing. Actually... I should say; as I've gotten older (I'm now 19) I realized that what was so much fun about being a kid, was not having to worry about certain real world concerns. And having unfiltered internet access from the ages of 5-13 took much of the innocence out of my childhood. 

Due to personal reasons - I'd rather not give examples. But looking back... I don't think letting me have unrestricted access to the internet was a wise choice for my parents to make (also I just realized I sound like I'm trying to tell you how to raise your child. That's not my intention :/ so sorry if this has come on that way). 

Anyways, why do I think that? Because of the Internet showed me, very vividly, in a way anyone of any age could understand; the vulgarity and seriousness of the real world. As a child I was unprepared for any of this information. Looking back I believe it greatly impacted the amount of friends I had in school, my socialability, and much more that I probably haven't even realized. But learning about the dangers of the real world made me paranoid to step outside for YEARS. 

I will give one example actually. My parents, and in school - always said "Don't talk to strangers. Don't accept candy from strangers. Don't get into cars with strangers." etc. Well the Internet made it clear as day WHY I should never do that. I learned as a 6 year old kid, about pedophiles, murders, and human trafficking. I was not equipt to know any of that knowledge at the age of 6.

• soundstyler and >CyberGhosT like this

qzxqnIu.png

We share... because we care...

>CyberGhosT

>CyberGhosT

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 425 posts

Add Malwarebytes Anti Malware (free or premium) seeing you already have the Anti Exploit tool installed, and replace Adblock Plus with Adguard 5. PeAcE

• Tetley, soundstyler and Maxed like this

My_Bar_Jan182017.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users