Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Windows 10 Safe Mode Black Screen

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

MadHungarian

MadHungarian

• Members (inactive)
  • 2 posts
Hi,

So, earlier I was trying to boot into safe mode to try and fix some possible DLL problems with VC++. Because of the boot speed of WIN10 I had to do it through msconfig. When I restarted to actually put the PC into safe mode I just get a blank black screen. I don't see the ASRock splash screen. I don't see the Windows Logo loading screen. I get nothing. I'm stumped.
  • Snuffy, Tetley and earthmaan1 like this

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,993 posts

To get into safe mode from within W10, goto Settings > Update & Recovery > Recovery > select Advanced Startup, then options 4, 5, or 6 once you get to the Advance Startup Options.

Windows%2010%20Advanced%20Startup%20from

W10%20Advanced%20startup%20options.png

• cognizione, Tetley, soundstyler and 2 others like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

Sorry, my 3,384 images hosted with Dropbox will no longer show.

MadHungarian

MadHungarian

• Members (inactive)
  • 2 posts
I would try that, but I'm not able to boot Windows anymore. I'm just getting a black screen.
  • dave, Tetley and roady like this

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,993 posts

Well, IF you have the W10 installer ISO or DVD to boot Repair my computer will getcha fixed.

1. On a working PC, go to the Microsoft software download website and create Windows 10 installation media.

2. Insert the installation media you created, and then restart your PC.

3. On the Install Windows screen, select Repair your computer. (If you’re not seeing this screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer's website for info on how to boot from media, and then try again.)

4. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot. From there, you can use Safe Mode. Select Advanced Options > Startup Settings > Restart.

5. After your PC restarts, select 5 or F5 to restart you PC in Safe Mode with Networking. If your PC won’t start in Safe Mode with Networking, try steps 2-4 again, and then, after your PC restarts, select 3 or F3 to Enable low-resolution video.

6. Once your PC is in Safe Mode, open Device Manager by typing device manager in the search box on the taskbar, select Device Manager, and select the arrow to expand Display adapters.

If you see two items under Display adapters:

1. Right-click the added display adapter (for example, Intel HD 4000 or AMD Radeon HD 4200), and then select Disable > Yes. To see if that worked, shut down your PC, disconnect your installation media, and then turn your PC back on.

2. If that doesn’t work, restart your PC in Safe Mode (see steps 2-5), return to the Display adapter section in Device Manager, enable the display adapter, and then disable the other display adapter.

If you see one item under Display adapters, roll back the driver or uninstall the display adapter.

1. To roll back the driver, open Device Manager and select the arrow to expand Display adapters. Under Display adapters, right-click the item and select Properties. Select the Driver tab, and then select Roll Back Driver > Yes.

2. To uninstall the display adapter, open Device Manager and select the arrow to expand Display adapters. Under Display adapters, right-click the item and select Properties. Select the Driver tab, select Uninstall > OK.

http://windows.micro...screen-problems

dave notes: you can also Refresh your installation with the ISO/USB/DVD, which will certainly fix you & keep your files & programs.

• slacker, cognizione, Tetley and 4 others like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Gamer with needs lol

• Global Moderator
  • 2,763 posts

You can also try just doing a repair on the boot manager if you have your windows 10 disc made. If only thing that changed was you trying to make it too into safe mode then this should work.

1) Boot from DVD.
2) Press Shift+F10 (for command prompt)

Type in command line

bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /rebuildbcd

• dave, cognizione, frenchie and 3 others like this

2wpiemh.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,202 posts

To get into safe mode from within W10, goto Settings > Update & Recovery > Recovery > select Advanced Startup, then options 4, 5, or 6 once you get to the Advance Startup

Another 1,for lazy people like me.... :mrgreen:  :

Hold the 'shift' key while choosing 'reboot' in the shutdown menu.....

• Snuffy, dave, slacker and 6 others like this

nda92u.png

Motto of the Malinois Shepherd : 'Semper fi.'till my death does us part.'

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,647 posts

Thanks DAVE... just what I needed.  :mrgreen:  Too bad I didn't realize I already had that file on my computer. Knew about the Media Creation Tool but not that it could create a Thumbdrive repair stick. I'm cool now! :razz:  I pay such little attention to things I never noticed that.

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 1 other like this

o89e9t.png

earthmaan1

earthmaan1

Sr Member

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 107 posts

These are all good Ideals,,, if you could see anything at all,,, just total black,,, looks like a fresh install  might be my only chose in this mess... tried 2 video cards, 2 monitors and no amount of pressing keys is help,,, the sad thing is I have no clue what cause this to happen,,, SAD

• frenchie likes this

QepvPzNs.png

Earthmaan1 or EM1

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,993 posts

IF you aren't seeing your POST or OEM logo screens, you must have a hardware issue. IF you can get into your BIOS, try setting it to defaults & move on from there, if you customize your BIOS settings, making small changes at a time. If you have none of this, hardware is suspect. Power Supplies are the #1 failure (have the highest failure rates) in any PC.

• slacker, cognizione, Tetley and 2 others like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 15,044 posts

I'm sure the rstrui.exe will  work if you ever made 1 restore point.

boot to media, move to command prompt --> rstrui.exe /offline:C:\windows (Another Official Windows Beta Tester Fix)

and if you have any known as "Last good Boot" this will retore back to and allow you to boot to the old

then fix. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A RESTORE POINT - IT DOES NOT WORK.

• dave, cognizione, frenchie and 1 other like this

PM07fvlP.png

earthmaan1

earthmaan1

Sr Member

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 107 posts

Can't see to type rstrui.exe or anything else,,, I do have a very old power suppy, not sure that it will work in this box,,, Thanks Guys...

• Snuffy and dave like this

QepvPzNs.png

Earthmaan1 or EM1

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,993 posts

A little advise prior to singling your PSU out as the culpirit, w/b to reseat your RAM, recheck, and if still won't boot, check each RAM stick in DIMM slot 1, rechecking at each new configuration to see if your POST or OEM displays prior to Windows loading. The chances of losing for than 1 stick of RAM at once are nil.

Power Supply testers are inexpensive for checking out your PSU.

20 / 24-pin Power Supply Tester for ATX / SATA / HDD

http://www.amazon.co...r supply tester

• Tetley and TanMan like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 15,044 posts

Well, I see, and have you validated the

1.  video cards are good in a different system

2.  monitors are good in a different system

-----------------------

apparently they were good before you screwed it up.

and if the BOOT MEDIA you are using is GOOD, then you should have some ability to see the screen,

just like a 100% NEW INSTALL.

So, earlier I was trying to boot into safe mode to try and fix some possible DLL problems with VC++. Because of the boot speed of WIN10 I had to do it through msconfig. When I restarted to actually put the PC into safe mode I just get a blank black screen.

that sounds like you have SECURE BOOT/FAST BOOT activated, which should disable your Mobo Splash Screen.

you can add this power.bat file to your Boot Media

-----------------

The power.bat files below will change the registry key and value below.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Power

HiberbootEnabled DWORD

0 = Turn off fast startup
1 = Turn on fast startup

--------------------------------------

when all else fails, you might find the latest BIOS provided by Manufacture

DL - fix and boot to then FLASH BIOS.

that should set all things back to default then give you the ability to FIX your BOOT problem.

PM07fvlP.png

cognizione

cognizione

T.A.A.B # 2

• Administrators
  • 7,522 posts

Can't see to type rstrui.exe or anything else,,, I do have a very old power suppy, not sure that it will work in this box,,, Thanks Guys...

When you boot, your cursor should be in the password box. Try typing it in and hit enter

and see where that takes you...

• Tetley, Maxed and earthmaan1 like this

tGX16tl.png

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Stonefly

Stonefly

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 112 posts

I had the black screen problem with just a blinking cursor and couldn't do anything also.   I unplugged my usb hard drive, rebooted and away she went.  Don't know why my usb backup drive was doing that but from time to time I have to unplug it for my computer to boot.

• Snuffy, dave, cognizione and 2 others like this

2jee455.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,993 posts

IF you can set your HDD as 1st boot device in BIOS that shouldn't happen. Most times USB HDDs, optical, & flash drives are lower down the boot listing in BIOS, but the USB boot does keep setting to the 2nd boot device on my system between HDD0 (my SSDs) & HDD4 (my internal mech HDD in the optical drive bay w/ w7 on it), no matter that I move it down the listing. So at least you s/b able to set your internal HDD above the USB devices as a higher order.

boot_priority.gif

• Snuffy, cognizione, Stonefly and 1 other like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users