Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

HP laptop recovery

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Haich

Haich

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 843 posts

Just had a job rebuilding HP g6 laptop and was pleasantly surprised by the recovery manager option of minimal installation. This just installs the operating system (and necessary drivers) on the C: drive with none of the associated crapware and trial installations that seems to plague laptops. Anyway sure most of you have probably encountered this already but if not it saves time uninstalling all the junk -  :)

• Snuffy, dave, cognizione and 4 others like this

Tele14.png

music is medicine for the soul

sr71

sr71

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 60 posts

The recovery factory default settings have been available for most Desktop/Laptops for many years but is starting to

change some in current times. As long as a "recovery" partition is made at the factory before shipping out then your in

luck like you said. But if you have a harddrive failure or corrupted or possible virus attack and the Drive no boot or

work anymore then you go form a dead scratch and do it all on your own. Most units let you make backup recovery

disks on a USB drive now so its not all the end if you made a BACKUP.

During the start-up process, hitting the appropriate "F key or keys" combination which the most common ones are

listed below for your manufacturer but they may have more, checking makers home site will let you know.

Acer – Alt + F10
Asus – F9
Dell/Alienware – F8
HP – F11
Lenovo – F11
MSI – F3
Samsung – F4
Sony – F10

Toshiba – 0 (not numpad) while turning on, release key when Toshiba logo appears

Note: There is often a small window of opportunity to strike the key so don't worry if it takes you a few attempts. Its

advised pressing the key multiple times to get it to come up at times as well. If these keys don't work then look out for

a message in the screen during startup which might indicate how to start the recovery process. You might need to

check your recovery partition is enabled in the BIOS. It's also possible your laptop might not have a recovery partition

(or it may have been deleted) so the makers make no guarantees here. You might need to contact your manufacturer

anyway.

Also NOTE that Windows 8/10 have a recovery  built-in feature (If you can boot to the desktop) that enables you to

quickly and easily reset your computer to its factory default. To begin, open the Charms bar, and click on Settings >

Change PC settings > Update and Recovery:

WD7ZT2qY-update-and-reco-s-.png

Under the Recovery section, you will see two options: Refresh your PC without affecting your files and Remove

everything and reinstall Windows. The latter option will completely reset your computer, deleting files and any

personal information you have saved:

uRbBP012-recovery-op-s-.png

Once you select your option, you computer will begin its restoration process.

But if all else fails or you may want to do a full fresh install,like I do,then you do it from scratch and redo it all. First

thing I do when getting a new PC is get all the drivers for it and operating system I'm going to use on it,then wipe the

drive clean including dumping the recovery partition. I want a clean install no junk..Now I know what's on the PC and

add the things, and only the things, I want from that point on...buy hey thats just me and my way...LOL WE all have

our "Vises" I guess.

• Snuffy, dave, cognizione and 4 others like this

Posted Image

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,617 posts

some newer Dells have change the F Key.

Mine  is Off - hold Del key and Turnon when flash release Del key and then F2.

My Acer does not come with a F key restore Option -

it has a Recovery - but you have to make it your self, with a 16GB or larger USB.

once the Recovery USB is made, and you need to Recovery the Computer,.

1. Insert the USB in the bottom USB slot on the left side

2. TurnOn the Computer and follow the online Screen.

It will auto boot to the USB and provide options.

• dave, cognizione, sr71 and 3 others like this

96ccd5e8-d519-4cda-9053-631ef1c070b8_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users