Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Upgrades for the rig

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

JohnnyTorr

JohnnyTorr

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 36 posts
Hey fellas,
Built my pc back in April or so last year with the help of you guys, did some minor tweaks and one major tweak being a gpu upgrade(now sporting a 390x) and as its a new year and I have some more money I was looking into upgrading some aspects of my rig and was looking for suggestions, I'm looking to put a maximum of £250 into this upgrade.
Specs:
Amd fx 8350
1tb wd blue
128 gb Samsung Evo ssd
8 gb g-skills vengeance ram
Msi 390x 8gb gaming
Hyper 212 evo cpu cooler
S340 nzxt case
650wat bronze xfx psu
I was thinking upgrading the psu, adding more ram and memory, and getting an aio cooler so I can oc the 8350 more.

Thanks,
John
  • masmasa, dave, cognizione and 4 others like this

2d9qws7.png

JohnnyTorr

JohnnyTorr

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 36 posts
22fbff2e7f087cfdc2549e09cf817e5b.jpg
  • dave, alfreire, Tetley and 5 others like this

2d9qws7.png

klown07

klown07

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 464 posts

Seems well enough as it is. I would guess, if you are experiencing some areas where it is lacking, pump the cash there. You can try and sell old parts to help with any upgrades.

• alfreire, Tetley, frenchie and 2 others like this

Posted Image

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,097 posts

I would go 1st for a watercooling upgrade and RAM......and then see what's left for a PSU,but only if I REALLY wanted to upgrade that 1,as a 650 watts PSU can deliver enough juice to feed your components....;)

• frenchie, Dahaka, Maxed and 1 other like this

nda92u.png

Motto of the Malinois Shepherd : 'Semper fi.'till my death does us part.'

Maxed

Maxed

SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
  • 8,752 posts

I would go 1st for a watercooling upgrade and RAM......and then see what's left for a PSU,but only if I REALLY wanted to upgrade that 1,as a 650 watts PSU can deliver enough juice to feed your components.... ;)

I would upgrade the ram and a Samsung 500 gig best bang for the buck and the water cooling then see how the PSU performs my guess it it will handle it okay :)

• cognizione, Tetley, frenchie and 2 others like this

MaxedSig.png

JohnnyTorr

JohnnyTorr

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 36 posts
The reason I was looking at psu is even though pcpartpicker says my 650 is more than adequate, the amd site and msi says no less than 750 w for a 390x. Ram is definitely a priority seeing as some modern games are pushing above 8gb on max settings, and definitely water cooling just so I can get a better overclock, finding it hard to oc on with my air cooled unit to get a stable temperature in comfortable having my rig run at half the time. Any recommendations for aio, looking at the x61 as my case was designed with it in mind.
  • frenchie and Dahaka like this

2d9qws7.png

JohnnyTorr

JohnnyTorr

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 36 posts
Also some issues I've faced with my pc when I have overclocked it are apparently to do with my psus inability to supply consistent power to both my gpu and cpu or something like that.
  • dave, frenchie and Dahaka like this

2d9qws7.png

JohnnyTorr

JohnnyTorr

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 36 posts
I was thinking of picking up like a 2tb wd black for game storage, my steam library is up to like 900gb of games now
  • Tetley, frenchie and Dahaka like this

2d9qws7.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,097 posts

Also some issues I've faced with my pc when I have overclocked it are apparently to do with my psus inability to supply consistent power to both my gpu and cpu or something like that.

​Strange.....what's the nominal output from your PSU ?

​These are the watts your GPU can eat :

Power consumption MSI Radeon R9-390X

1. System in IDLE = 94W
  2. System Wattage with GPU in FULL Stress = 342W
  3. Difference (GPU load) = 248W
  4. Add average IDLE wattage ~10W
  5. Subjective obtained GPU power consumption = ~ 258 Watts

​If you take your nominal PSU output minus the full stress GPU outcome,then you see what's left for the rest of your system......

• masmasa, dave, frenchie and 2 others like this

nda92u.png

JohnnyTorr

JohnnyTorr

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 36 posts
http://www.aria.co.u...ce=pcpartpicker this is the psu I have I assume it's just 650-342 which leaves me with 308 watts for the rest of the system pre overclocked?
  • dave, frenchie, Dahaka and 1 other like this

2d9qws7.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,097 posts

In theory,yes......but I would take 5 to 7.5% of the 650 watts away to leave some headroom..;)

• dave, cognizione, frenchie and 1 other like this

nda92u.png

>CyberGhosT

>CyberGhosT

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 427 posts

Never go less than a 1000W for gaming systems :)

Check out my addiction --> http://www.digitalstorm.com/

• frenchie and Dahaka like this

My_Bar_Jan182017.png

sjprg

sjprg

GFX & Images Related Software Expert

• Global Moderator
  • 1,786 posts

The first thing I would change is the HDD for two reasons. 1: the impressive speed change. If you have not used an SSD yet you cannot comprehend the difference. 2: the heat and current reduction is also impressive. I have tried most all of the brands of SSDs since their introduction and have found that the Samsung are by far the best units to use. I would recommend Installing an M.2 in an adapter if it will boot in your machine, if not pickup a pair of Samsung 120 GB 840 or 850 SSDs and put them in raid 0 which would be within your budget. For now keep your WD for storage, but plan on replacing it as soon as you can. Always keep your data on a separate drive. Its not that much of a pain to reload your OS if it gets corrupted, the odds of drive failure is extremely low. I've been building computers for 35 years now for myself and clients and the experience has been educational. You might also want to look at Samsung's new 2 and 3 TB SSDs for your storage.

Bottom line is: get rid of HDDs as quickly as you can for internal  storage. reserve them for external backup storage but as their failure rates are so much greater only as JBOD in at least pairs.

• masmasa, cognizione, frenchie and 3 others like this

Posted Image
Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users