Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Windows 10 Networking Issue Caused by 1511

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

TanMan

TanMan

System Software Forum Moderator

• 862 posts

A question was posted recently about networking issues that started with Windows 10. I thought this was nothing since I could see all my computers in my home network, but I started reading and testing, and sure enough, the original Windows NetBIOS networking protocol is broken in Windows 10 1511.

My first test was to open File Explorer, click on Network on the left, change the View to Details, and add the Discovery Method column. All the computers were discovered using WSD, which is a newer networking API from Microsoft. None of the computers were discovered using SMB or NetBIOS.

My next test was to start a command line and run NET VIEW. This command shows all the computers in the network using NetBIOS. Instead of listing all the computers in the network, it instead shows an error 1231 "The network location cannot be reached."

My final test was to try the command "NBTSTAT -r". This should list all the computers resolved by the NETBIOS service. Instead, the listing was just gibberish.

This is insane. This protocol predates Windows and goes back to DOS, and for it to be broken now is incredibly shoddy workmanship by Microsoft and a testament to the foibles of the constant update cycle. Worse, although Microsoft seems to have identified the problem and has a fix (in 11103), that fix isn't even available to the fast ring yet (even though the problem was identified as early as last November), and the ETA for a public release is MARCH.

See the posts by Adam Rudell (ARUDELL) in this thread:

https://social.techn...10-after-update

He's a networking guy from Microsoft and he's been very informative.

• Snuffy, dave, flyingnurse and 11 others like this

KUNGOfvp.png

Dahaka

Dahaka

Backup & HDD Tools Moderator

• 3,751 posts

Thanks for sharing your research with us. ;)

• Snuffy, dave, alfreire and 6 others like this

RobrPatty

RobrPatty

Forum Mod

• 1,610 posts

I've been using 11103 pro and did a ip test. Damn my internet speed dropped in half! :eek:

Switched back to Server 2012 R2 and now she is above my isp's limits.

No 10 for me until they get this network crap fixed.

• Snuffy, dave, alfreire and 4 others like this

BOaFtDdF.png

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Gamer with needs lol

• Global Moderator
  • 2,765 posts

Good to know its not just me, I though M$ fuc$ed up NETBIOS again lol,  Thanks for looking more into this. I have not had the time.

• Snuffy, dave, RobrPatty and 4 others like this

2wpiemh.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 15,050 posts

Same here, networking is getting YUK, so i again have move to

Multiplicity for my work, one mouse one keyboard will do all, copy-paste move or what ever.

do miss the network part but then one does what one must do.

• dave, cognizione and Bruce like this

PM07fvlP.png

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Gamer with needs lol

• Global Moderator
  • 2,765 posts

Yea its not a bad workaround to use snuffy. I have never had good luck with windows networking anyway when it came to different version of windows. Always lost a system on the network, or not accessible error or some other kind of junk lol.

• Snuffy, dave, Haich and 1 other like this

2wpiemh.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 15,050 posts

This morning, went back to LTSB, and it has access to the net all can be seen and connected to,

but WTH - no matter what I do only Other Windows 10 can connect to and from, my Main Computer

Windows 8.1 (does not have Admin Access) check with your -

so NO FIREWALL  No Defender No Security at all still NO connect from 8.1 to any 10.

so rehook all Security and SOS but all Win 10 connect to-from 8.1 but 8.1 is out of the loop.

so Multiplicity :)

• dave, cognizione, Haich and 2 others like this

PM07fvlP.png

TanMan

TanMan

• 862 posts

Just wanted to update this thread. I'm on 10586.318 on all computers. File Explorer/Network, Discovery Method is now NetBIOS for all computers except the computer that it's running from - that computer says WSD (weird, but OK). net view now shows all computers in the network properly. nbtstat -r is better, but still messed up:

C:\Windows\System32>nbtstat -r

NetBIOS Names Resolution and Registration Statistics
    ----------------------------------------------------

Resolved By Broadcast     = 479
    Resolved By Name Server   = 0

Registered By Broadcast   = 20
    Registered By Name Server = 0

NetBIOS Names Resolved By Broadcast
---------------------------------------------
           MYSHARE        <00>
           ELAPTOP     <00>
           奍䡓剁⁅††††䥋卄㈰†††††
           䥋卄㈰†††††奍䡓剁⁅†††
           MYSHARE        <00>
           ELAPTOP     <00>
           奍䡓剁⁅††††䥋卄㈰†††††
                   䥋卄㈰†††††

MYSHARE is my router, and is actually MyShare. ELAPTOP is my wife's laptop, and is actually ELaptop. There are other computers in the network that aren't listing in nbtstat -r, and those computers also have names that are mixed case. The reason I mention this is that some people are saying that Windows 10 NETBIOS now seems to be case sensitive, which is counter to the NETBIOS spec. I haven't tested this, but it probably does need testing.

• dave, cognizione, Dahaka and 1 other like this

KUNGOfvp.png

apocalypse

apocalypse

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,082 posts

Just wanted to update this thread. I'm on 10586.318 on all computers. File Explorer/Network, Discovery Method is now NetBIOS for all computers except the computer that it's running from - that computer says WSD (weird, but OK). net view now shows all computers in the network properly. nbtstat -r is better, but still messed up:

C:\Windows\System32>nbtstat -r

NetBIOS Names Resolution and Registration Statistics
    ----------------------------------------------------

Resolved By Broadcast     = 479
    Resolved By Name Server   = 0

Registered By Broadcast   = 20
    Registered By Name Server = 0

NetBIOS Names Resolved By Broadcast
---------------------------------------------
           MYSHARE        <00>
           ELAPTOP     <00>
           奍䡓剁⁅††††䥋卄㈰†††††
           䥋卄㈰†††††奍䡓剁⁅†††
           MYSHARE        <00>
           ELAPTOP     <00>
           奍䡓剁⁅††††䥋卄㈰†††††
                   䥋卄㈰†††††

MYSHARE is my router, and is actually MyShare. ELAPTOP is my wife's laptop, and is actually ELaptop. There are other computers in the network that aren't listing in nbtstat -r, and those computers also have names that are mixed case. The reason I mention this is that some people are saying that Windows 10 NETBIOS now seems to be case sensitive, which is counter to the NETBIOS spec. I haven't tested this, but it probably does need testing.

I'm getting the same type of results as you some names and a bunch of gibberish.

• TanMan and Bruce like this

Posted Image
Apocalypse

TanMan

TanMan

• 862 posts

I'm getting the same type of results as you some names and a bunch of gibberish.

Do your computers have mixed case names?

• Dahaka and Bruce like this

KUNGOfvp.png

apocalypse

apocalypse

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,082 posts

Do your computers have mixed case names?

My pc names are in lower case.

• TanMan likes this

Posted Image
Apocalypse

TanMan

TanMan

• 862 posts

My pc names are in lower case.

OK. I think we may be zeroing in on this. As I said previously, the NETBIOS spec allows for only upper case computer names. If someone who has Windows 10 1511 (or later) and all upper case computer names could try this DOS command:

nbtstat -r

And post your results, that would help.

• cognizione likes this

KUNGOfvp.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users