Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

considering upgrades - advice please?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

max-crownim

max-crownim

• BW9 Donator +
  • 5 posts

These are the system specs ATM  - Looking to upgrade but unsure on the next steps apart from upgrading to SSD and potentially O/C the CPU and improving the cooling system i'm running which atm is 3 Case Fans and a Generic CPU Fan & Sink, Any Suggestions Welcomed.

OS - Windows 10 Pro

Case - GameMax Knight Series GM-Red
Mobo - Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
CPU - AMD FX-8120 Eight-Core - 3.1ghz
Memory - Corsair Vengeance Pro Series Red 16GB DDR3 2400 MHz (2*8GB
HDD 1 - C:\ - Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

HDD 2 - D:\ - WD Green 4TB 3.5" SATA
HDD 3 - E:\ - Seagate 1TB 3.5" SATA 
HDD 4 - T:\ - Seagate 1TB 3.5" SATA

GPU - Radeon R9 290

MONITOR 1: DELL E198WFP (1440X900) - 19"

MONITOR 2: LG E2240 (1920X1080) - 22"
MONITOR 3: HP w2408h (1920X1200) - 24"
MONITOR 4: MW19E-ABA (1440X900) - 19"
Burner - Lite ON iHAS 524D
Speakers - Hitatchi Surround Sound Kit (Primary)

ALT Speakers - Alesis Elevate 3 (Cue/Secondary Sound)
Sound1 - Realtek High Definition Audio on-board

Sound 2 / Mixer - Numark Mixtrack Pro II

Mic Mixer - Behringer 302USB
PSU - PowerCool 850W

Excuse the state of my Tower and Desk with me being disabled i struggle to get down and clean up properly and often struggle to reach the back of the desk to clean up.

Attached Files

• dave, sdm5821, Dahaka and 1 other like this

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,843 posts

IMO, I would begin by upgrading your PSU. I never heard of a PowerCool, but my research on it wasn't giving me the best reports on it. Since it supplies all your Power for your rig, I'd consider upgrading to a more expensive one, since you really do get more bang for your buck in PSU circumstances.

I'd total your consumption with an online calculator.

As a check I put in your approximate specs with this one (mildly overclocked) & it showed you as possibly under powered for all your components, and a PSU isn't what you wanna scrimp on. A PSU failure could take out some of the goodies that you've already accumulated, and increase your replacement costs significantly for hardware, not to mention data loss.

Cronin%20PSU%20upgrade.png

You can re-calculate here:   http://www.enermax.o...n.com/index.jsp

You know better of what you have and want.  ;)

• cognizione, sdm5821, Tetley and 3 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

sjprg

sjprg

GFX & Images Related Software Expert

• Global Moderator
  • 1,798 posts

I would also consider the Corsair H110 cooling system which should take your CPU temps under load from about 80-90C down to about 55-60C. with idle about 5C above abient.

• cognizione, Dahaka and max-crownim like this

Posted Image
Paul

TanMan

TanMan

System Software Forum Moderator

• 859 posts

In addition to what @Dave said about the PSU, and what @sjprg said about the CPU cooler, you might want to consider upgrading your processor to an Intel. You'd of course need to change your motherboard too. I posted about this recently:

The pertinent part is:

...the older Xeon E-2660 still gives you great performance and at just under $200 at Amazon, it's an amazing value. You have to put this processor into an X99 motherboard, and you can get an ASROCK X99 EXTREME3 for around $200. That's a full featured motherboard that supports DDR4 RAM and has 1 M.2/SATA Express and USB 3.0 (not 3.1). So for $400 you have a great processor and motherboard.

Your DDR3 RAM and video card should work in this motherboard too.

Finally, for aesthetics only, replacing your disparate monitors with four of the same monitor will look better and be easier on your eyes.

• cognizione, Dahaka and max-crownim like this

Posted Image

max-crownim

max-crownim

• BW9 Donator +
  • 5 posts

Thanks all for the responses, i've got a basic start point now, i think i'm going to start with the PSU as @dave suggested, not sure about the Cooling system as on high load my current cooler doesn't get the CPU above 55 degrees it might be worth looking into in the future.

i'm not a massive fan of intel to be honest although i appreciate the thought @tanman i just don't see the point in spending more on an intel when the AMD FX does everything i need, i know intel has a lot of positives its just i need further convincing before i look to switch mobo and cpu

Again though i appreciate the opinions of everyone and cannot thank you enough for the considerations its certainly given me food for thought.

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 2 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users