Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Can I downgrade 64bit to 32bit ?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

aacm

aacm

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 267 posts

Hi.. everyone..

I have a friend who needs to downgrade Brand new PC from windows 7 Pro 64bit to 32bit.

How this is possible without delete 64bit and put 32bit ...

Is possible??  or I need to erase everything and install fresh 32bit.. 

He has Dell PC came with 64bit..

Any help will appreciated ... 

Thanks

• >CyberGhosT likes this

15wxqgo.png

cognizione

cognizione

T.A.A.B # 2

• Administrators
  • 7,301 posts

If you have a 32 bit version of Windows 7 that is equivalent to the 64 bit edition that came with the system.

Should be able to run it from desktop and select the custom advanced option...

• Snuffy, alfreire and Maxed like this

tGX16tl.png

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

BSSR1

BSSR1

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 441 posts

Why Downgrade??? 64 Win 7 can run ANY Program???

• alfreire and Maxed like this

301mqnk.png

Danielx64

Danielx64

• Global Moderator
  • 1,448 posts

Why Downgrade??? 64 Win 7 can run ANY Program???

Two reasons, drivers and 16bit software.
  • alfreire and Maxed like this

2hgv0oy.png

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Gamer with needs lol

• Global Moderator
  • 2,688 posts

You can do custom, but you will not want to do that as you will have old x64 OS file still on system and it will cause problems on the OS and apps.  If you really want to go to x86 OS, do a clean install. Their is no reason to run a x86 over a x64 now adays anyway. A x64 bit can do everything x86 can and more.

Well at less your running legacy hardware that only has x86 drivers.

Remember the limitations of a x86 bit OS.

Can not read RAM over 4GB

Overall system performance is slower

Some new games only run on x64 bit OS

Some highend graphics programs also now only come in x64 bit

• alfreire, cognizione, aacm and 2 others like this

2wpiemh.png

cognizione

cognizione

T.A.A.B # 2

• Administrators
  • 7,301 posts
    GothicDeath         You can do custom, but you will not want to do that as you will have old x64 OS file still on system

Won't they just be in Windows old... ?  But I would do a wipe and clean install too.

• alfreire, Tetley, aacm and 1 other like this

tGX16tl.png

aacm

aacm

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 267 posts

well.. the PC came with windows 7 64bit. 

the PC has not even open the box...

is that one program did not work with this version of 64bit.. needs 32bit..

He wants to keep 64bit for future ... so for me to be able to work with the software....

Well I think what I can do is this  get anther harddrive and install windows 7 32bit (my own CD) and save that disk for future changes.

I think ... What you guys suggest???   thanks in advance for all your help..

• alfreire and cognizione like this

15wxqgo.png

aacm

aacm

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 267 posts

Danielx64  ..

Yes I know 64bit much better... However he has a software to work with only 32bit... right now he has Windows XP old machines..

So I got 64bit machine took with me to see if the software works... no success at all... I try every possible way..

so need to change to 32bit.. I call the company of the software and they tell me IF he wants 64bit needs to change ALLL his equipment is very costly.

because is build to work with 32bit up to Winodws 7 and 8.1  NOT windows 10..

So he thought 64bit will work and bought those PC's... well I think the only way is to put new HD and start fresh Like congnizione said...

• alfreire likes this

15wxqgo.png

cognizione

cognizione

T.A.A.B # 2

• Administrators
  • 7,301 posts

Do a back up and wipe the hard drive if he wants to save $. Then can use it to restore

if he wants to use 64 later.

• White Tiger, alfreire and aacm like this

tGX16tl.png

aacm

aacm

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 267 posts

OK cognizione .. sounds great I will do that !!

• alfreire likes this

15wxqgo.png

Cyberstalker

Cyberstalker

Decepticon

• BW9 Donator +
  • 761 posts

do x64 on one drive and x86 on another and dual boot, keeps both choices open

• dave, alfreire, cognizione and 2 others like this

Posted Image

>CyberGhosT

>CyberGhosT

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 415 posts

And don't forget in doing so you will severely limit your Ram as well.

I would go to a pawn shop and buy an old laptop and do a fresh install of win 10 x86 and do it that way, don't downgrade a already running x64 bit system :(  (JMHO)

• alfreire and Tunez like this

My2017.png

GothicDeath

GothicDeath

Gamer with needs lol

• Global Moderator
  • 2,688 posts

Yes, cog it should be in "old" but i have seen some very weird things with windows when ppl have done and dirty downgrade from x64 to x86. Not sure why but some times you still have x64 stuff in system out side the "old" folder lol. We are talking M$ stuff here lol

Out of curiosity, what apps will not run on win7 x64? B/c if they don't sounds more like they are legacy xp app that will not run on win7 even if you use win7 x86. As long as the app can run on win7 it should run on x64.

• cognizione, Tetley and soundstyler like this

2wpiemh.png

White Tiger

White Tiger

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 247 posts

Do a back up and wipe the hard drive if he wants to save $. Then can use it to restore

if he wants to use 64 later.

I would not even do a backup.
Just replace the harddrive and install a 32-bit system.
This way the 'old' harddrive stays intact 

• Tetley, >CyberGhosT and aacm like this

qn8fnk.png

sjprg

sjprg

GFX & Images Related Software Expert

• Global Moderator
  • 1,785 posts

I still have a couple of old XT boxes that I keep just for the old programs that still use X86 programing. What you have to remember is that the old XP still had a lot of legacy programs that the companies that wrote them are either out of business or are to cheap to update them and want you to buy new. Keep your old computers for those programs if you really need them and change the HHD to an SSD using an adapter which is available online. Makes a vast improvement to an old computer. I use mine to run an old Canon slide scanner that Canon will not update or release a new model. I did the same for a couple of industrial programs that gave a company time to replace one of their specialized machining controllers durning the changeover from X86 assembly language to C++.

Posted Image
Paul

riggsre

riggsre

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 898 posts

Use a Virtual Machine to install 32 bit and run the legacy software.

• Tetley likes this

w83qzd.png

Las Vegas, USA.gif

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,607 posts

is that one program did not work with this version of 64bit.. needs 32bit..

never seen a 32b that would not run in 64b.

but if mandatory to use x86 and have x64 for later,

then compress the x64 partition to as small as possible.

and make sure you have one big partition left.

boot to x86 OS media and install as clean in the new big partition.

and let MS do its thing, called Dual Boot and your x86 will be the used unless you change it.

• cognizione likes this

96ccd5e8-d519-4cda-9053-631ef1c070b8_zps

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,089 posts

I'd go for a virtual 32 bit too.... ;)

​Just a question about some legacy programs not working : did your friend already try changing installation path?

​Legacy 32 bit programs install default to C:\Program Files,however on an x64 system this is the location where only 64 bit program files are stored.

​Changing the installation path to C:\Program Files (x86) can sometimes solve installation issues for those legacy 32 bit programs.

• dave likes this

nda92u.png

Motto of the Malinois Shepherd : 'Semper fi.'till my death do us part.'

aacm

aacm

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 267 posts

Well I am impress so much information and great tips... OK My friend is a Dentist.  His practice in implants and has equipment (x-Ray) machine that runs only in 32 Bit the software called Planmeca and the software is dimaxis and works only with 32bit NOT 64bit   I try the suggestion of ROADY however the software not work because need the ODBC or something like that .. the tech of the company tell me Try to be nice to call them but no success they suggest only 32bit for that reason I can't find the backup..  So the main software or backup is in the server (2003) 32bit... Well this is the history why I ask the question to see where route I can take.  

THanks all for your inputs... Always I appreciated so much...

:)

• dave and cognizione like this

15wxqgo.png

sjprg

sjprg

GFX & Images Related Software Expert

• Global Moderator
  • 1,785 posts

I also have software used by dentists for controlling the x-ray machine and displaying the image. The best I can say is dentists are about the cheapest clients around. I used to have several as clients and I finally gave up on them as they always wanted something for nothing or a discount on their bill, or refusing to update the equipment when needed or etc. etc. The software producers ARE goughing them, but its tit for tat.

I would just tell the dentist what the real solution is, and let him bite the bullet or do without.

One of my favorite dentist stories is the time I had a dentist bring his aircraft in for a avionics repair. This particular box had two units sharing the same case in the panel. One side was a NAVCOM, and the other was a DME (distance measuring equipment). Anyway the NAVCOM was not operating, so I repaired it and sent him on his way. Two or three months later he brought it back saying it was in_op again. I looked at it and the DME was not working, so I fixed that and when I handed him the bill he got angry and asked "didn't I garante my work, I told him sure, but the DME was out this time. He was still pissed, so I asked him if he worked on a cavity on the right side of my mouth, would he charge me if he had to fix another on the left side. He said yes, but that's different! My andwer to him was "it's the same mouth". He damed near turned purple he was so angry. Lawyers are almost as bad. I could tell some good stories there also.

• dave, cognizione, dhjohns and 4 others like this

Posted Image
Paul

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users