Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Help with network setup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Hennieva

Hennieva

• Members (inactive)
  • 11 posts
Hi guys. I need help with setting up my network. I hav a netbook pc with windows 7 and a desktop with windows 10. Both of them are able to see each other but cant access each other. I was able to map network drives from my windows 10 pc to my windows 7 pc but now if I try and access them from the windows 7 pc it says windows can not access \\xxxxx-pc check spelling of the name bla bla bla....

Dont know why I was able to map drives and all of a sudden not access them.

Then I hav another question. Hav any of u ever worked with cisco network magic? It was a great little program that resolved network problems automatically and setup your network by itself. But cisco discontinued it and deactivated the activation server. Any ideas to get it working? Or maybe a good alternative?

Thank for the help

Sent from my X5 using Tapatalk

Hennieva

Hennieva

• Members (inactive)
  • 11 posts
Sorted thx. Restarted my router. Still if u know of a way to activate network magic or a good alternative it would be great. Thx again

Sent from my X5 using Tapatalk
  • dave and Maxed like this

TanMan

TanMan

System Software Forum Moderator

• 851 posts

I'm personally surprised that your router was the culprit. Your description of the error did not indicate that this was a router issue. Not any one that I've ever seen anyway. But I'm glad that resolved your issue.

Regarding Network Magic, that was a horrible little program that totally mucked with your networking configuration. Good riddance to it!

The best solution today for home networking for non-experts is to create a homegroup. This will automatically configure your networking and make it easy for you to share stuff. One computer creates the homegroup and the others join it. That's the reason there are no more networking assistant programs, since Windows made home networking easy.

Personally, I don't use homegroups, but then again, I'm a network guy. But if networking scares you or you have trouble configuring it, homegroup's are definitely the way to go.

• Uncle and Maxed like this

Posted Image

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

• Global Moderator
  • 3,695 posts

Homegroup is the ticket here.  Both Win7 and 10 support it.

• volvo, Uncle and Maxed like this

1zbfi1f.jpg

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,617 posts

I did this to hide things for all except the BOSS.

you can see the other computers, and see all the Partitions but can not access them

OK make a shortcut for ea partition and then move that shortcut from the desktop

to User\Public\Documents

then you can open even tho there is NO total group. Gives the BOSS access when all others do not have access.

• volvo, cognizione and windrider like this

96ccd5e8-d519-4cda-9053-631ef1c070b8_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users