Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Windows 10 turns off pc immediately during a power outage

windows 10 power ups power outage turns off

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

carloscape

carloscape

• Members (inactive)
  • 7 posts

My issue is as follows. I have an APC Back-UPS RS 700G that can easily hold up my pc during a power outage for at least 15minutes. When I had Windows 7, it did without issues. After upgrading to Windows 10, the moment it senses power is out it starts shutting down the pc. Even when you run the self test on the UPS, it shuts down the pc. It's a clean install of Windows 10. I've tried messing with the power plan, using the option to shutdown pc when only 10% is left. It will always shutdown the pc immediately. It won't even prompt (ask), it just shuts down.

I installed APC monitoring software, it detects the ups correctly, it clearly states I have aproximately 20minutes of battery time. Still it's windows 10, not APC software, turning off my pc during an outage.

Can I disable this behaviour? It's ignoring my power plan, it's ignoring the ups software. Seriously considering downgrading back to 7, since it seems Windows 10 is still as buggy as ever. Is there a fix? I've tried googling for one, but I see a lot about changing power plans and other issues, unrelated to my specific problem. So I decided to make a post here, and see if someone here knows how to fix it.

Attached Files

• Snuffy, dave, toptek and 5 others like this

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,885 posts

I use a ups too that I use while on generated power (yeap, it outs a couple times a week & have no utility power), and having the ups > USB connector + software was more annoying than anything. I didn't have any shutdown issues and also have an inverter in it that's 5x my normal usage, but I know that twice as much is fine since I have a battery bank (for daily use) with the smaller inverter as well. Fortunately my UPS also has a LCD display with the necessary readings available, so the software was a little redundant. Window 10 Enterprise LTSB power settings didn't affect me in the least, BUT the UPS software did on occasion say that it was about to power down (when I used it) & I was able to stop that action. I finally stopped using it altogether & disconnected the monitoring USB cord.

Your power settings in Windows looks fine to me BTW. Ensure that the UPS software isn't configured to tell Windows soft shutdown in it's runtime settings upon power outage. I suspect your setting issues is with your UPS software, or it's batteries are just getting tired.

Note that my battery pack will last 2-3 hours with my usage but have only tested one hour @ high CPU usage (60-80) to keep the batteries over 50%. I maintain this philosophy on my battery bank as well & never run then down past 12.2 VDC (12.7 being fully charged). My battery bank will last about 30 hours without issues & still have 50% reserved, but the batteries are only a few months old & deep cycle 2x 239Ah 6VDC batteries.

• Snuffy, toptek, Tetley and 6 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

TanMan

TanMan

System Software Forum Moderator

• 859 posts

I have 4 desktops (for the kids) and 2 1500VA Cyberpower UPS's (with LCD displays). I have 2 desktops connected to each UPS. Fortunately I have fairly steady, reliable power, so the UPS's are rarely used. I've been using UPS's for about 15 years and initially used the software and a USB connection (with XP). It was so annoying that I uninstalled the software and removed the USB connection. I've been running the UPS's disconnected ever since. On those rare occasions that the power is out for more than a couple of minutes, I have time to shut down all the desktops cleanly.

So bottom line, I recommend removing the software and the USB connection, and handling your power management manually.

• Snuffy, dave, toptek and 5 others like this

Posted Image

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,885 posts

That's 2fer2 saying the software is annoying. Mine is a CyberPower CST135XLU & you can set the software runtime to goto 5% battery runtime, instead of shutting down immediately, but it still tried to shutdown on me a couple times as I said with the correct settings set. I just looked & saw that I uninstalled the software after initially just disabling it's startup & the USB monitor cord is of no use now.

On a clean install you might hafta initially install the software to send the proper configuration data, to keep from getting the annoying beeps every 30 seconds on power outage, but believe that can be done via it's front panel as well.

I forgot to mention, my UPS with software behavior was identical in Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 of several editions (Ultimate, Pro, Home, & Enterprise).

• Snuffy, cognizione, toptek and 5 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,158 posts

IMHO,your APC power plan will never work as long as Process Lasso's 'Highest Performance' plan is running the show......

• toptek, Tetley, Dahaka and 3 others like this

nda92u.png

Motto of the Malinois Shepherd : 'Semper fi.'till my death does us part.'

Netzork

Netzork

• BW9 Donator +
  • 631 posts

IMHO,your APC power plan will never work as long as Process Lasso's 'Highest Performance' plan is running the show......

How on earth would you know? I love Process Lasso as it is no bleeding system optimizer as some like to view it, it is load balancing processes the way MS should have all along and it just works.... Then again, Jeremy Collake is not your anyone programmer either, rather one I have battled due to his PE-compact packer and have later come to respect both as a human being as I have communicated with him quite a bit and as the genius programmer he is (while he is not able to keep me from unpacking, he is dang good with his clean code). Naturally, I got both a server license and five LTL licenses... so far.

However, I find no trace of information thereof above???

• toptek, Dahaka, roady and 1 other like this

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,158 posts

How on earth would you know?

TXT in black.....

Attached Files

• toptek, Dahaka, Maxed and 2 others like this

nda92u.png

Netzork

Netzork

• BW9 Donator +
  • 631 posts

TXT in black.....

LOL, caught being ignorant of attachments now, am I not :mrgreen:

• toptek, Dahaka, roady and 1 other like this

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,885 posts

I don't use it so can plea ignorance, but looking at Process Lasso forums, Jeremy Collake states that you can change the defaults in the high performance plan & they will stay as you set them.

https://bitsum.com/f...4.html#msg16434

• cognizione, toptek, Tetley and 5 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,158 posts

LOL, caught being ignorant of attachments now, am I not :mrgreen:

Viewing an attachment is not the same as reading it.....;)......some of my family members call me 'Odin' because in their mind,it looks like I sacrificed my left eye to see more than they can with their 2 good eyes..... :histerija: :histerija:

• dave, toptek, Tetley and 4 others like this

nda92u.png

dhjohns

dhjohns

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,207 posts

I have never had a UPS, but I hear they are great protection against voltage fluctuations.  Personally, I would never put another program in charge of my Windows 10 even if it IS written by someone named Jeremy.  So far as Windows shutting down suddenly, that was an issue with XP, and the NTLDR, or whatever could disappear, but I haven't had any issues of that sort in years.

• toptek, Dahaka and Maxed like this

2vcxocp.png

carloscape

carloscape

• Members (inactive)
  • 7 posts

Just to clarify some issues:

• I decided to try the process lasso settings after the issue started. I've tried the included high performance plan and that failed as well.
  • The shutdown isn't being caused by APC; since APC can read the battery power correctly, and the software asks before attempting to shutdown. I know because it's the same program I used on Windows 7, and it's set to attempt a shutdown at 5min of remaining battery.
  • There has never been an APC power plan.
  • I replaced the UPS battery a few weeks ago, so that isn't the issue either.

I went with the idea of disconnecting the usb cable, and issues stopped. However, that isn't a real solution since I want my home pc to shut down properly in case of a prolonged outage while I'm at work. As for process lasso, in my experience, it's a great program and does a better job at controlling memory and cpu hogs than Windows 10 does.

• dave, toptek, Dahaka and 1 other like this

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,885 posts

I went with the idea of disconnecting the usb cable, and issues stopped.

Which identifies the APC software as the culprit. As stated previously, check your Runtime options in the software to see if it is triggering the immediate soft shutdown.

Mine did with CyberPower UPS & I hadda select the option to run to a percentage of the UPS batteries before soft shutdown. Regardless a couple times, as stated it attempted to shutdown after power outage, and I was able to stop it. My solution was to uninstall the software, disconnect the unneeded USB monitor, and monitor my UPS battery remaining time & state by the front panel display of the UPS. AT 50% remaining, I soft shutdown.

I go through a power outage twice a day when my generator is shutdown while on my UPS, IF I'm not already shutdown to switch over to my battery bank inverter on Windows 10 LTSB, or Windows 8.1 Pro, or Netrunner Horizon 17. No changes with any OSes on my part.

Triple%20boot%20OSes.JPG

Configure RunTime in CyberPower software WHEN it was installed

CyberPower%20UPS.PNG

• cognizione, toptek, Dahaka and 2 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

carloscape

carloscape

• Members (inactive)
  • 7 posts

I'll check on runtime once I'm at home to reconnect the usb cable. The front panel read isn't an option for me, since my pc is online even when I'm not in front of it. It does have an LCD screen with the remaining time. The shutdown is too fast for it to be the APC soft, but I could try uninstalling the soft and see if windows behaviour remains the same or changes.

• dave, toptek and Dahaka like this

carloscape

carloscape

• Members (inactive)
  • 7 posts

Something I forgot to mention earlier, even the battery self test when done from the APC Soft, triggers the shutdown.

• Snuffy, dave, toptek and 1 other like this

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,885 posts

From my CyberPower manual Troubleshooting Guide.

UPS%20RunTime%20not%20correct.JPG

I KNOW from personal experience with batteries that ONE bad cell can reduce the others to it's level very rapidly with a load,

and APPEAR normal when not loaded, even taking a charge APPEARING normal while unloaded, but will phttt it's bad cell state

once a load is applied, reducing the others to that state quickly.

• Snuffy, toptek, Dahaka and 2 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

carloscape

carloscape

• Members (inactive)
  • 7 posts

With the usb cable disconnected, the battery lasted 20min. I attached the runtime screen capture.

Attached Files

• Snuffy, dave, cognizione and 4 others like this

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,885 posts

Your runtime settings are correct (basically same as mine was).

MIGHT try a different USB cable, if you are still experiencing issues with your extended runtime. Mine is just a similar cable as an USB printer cable.

UPS%20USB%20cable.png

Again all indicators are still pointing to your APC & not the OS,

or power settings options of the OS.

• Snuffy, cognizione, toptek and 4 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

• Global Moderator
  • 3,714 posts

Check the house voltage.  I was going crazy with a few UPS.  I'm located at the end of the street, last one on the power line in a third world nation.  Every time someone up the street turned on a power tool my voltage fluctuated wildly and the UPS would start screaming  It broke the UPS (APC) and the next one did not last long.  I now do without.  I had voltages up to 280 and as low as 160 and with the high salt air off the beach, a UPS has no place here in a building/office with no AC.  I replace my motherboard every two years.  Light bulbs last longer.

• dave, toptek, Dahaka and 1 other like this

1zbfi1f.jpg

dhjohns

dhjohns

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,207 posts

I had a power outage for several hours today.  My computer shut down immediately.  No UPS, lol.  When the power came on I found build 14361 waiting for me.  Maybe I should have more outages!   :histerija:  :histerija:  :histerija: 

• toptek likes this

2vcxocp.png

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: windows 10, power, ups, power outage, turns off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users