Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

You have one month left to buy a Windows 7 PC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

Tetley

Tetley

• Global Moderator
  • 10,283 posts

You have one month left to buy a Windows 7 PC

Two older versions of Windows are approaching their mandatory retirement date in one month. If you want a new PC running Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, you'll have fewer options beginning on November 1. Here's what the end-of-sales deadline means.

wLR22jN.jpg?1

This Halloween, you can decorate your front lawn with a casket containing a Windows 7 PC. While you're at it, throw in a PC running Windows 8.1, too.

On that date, October 31, 2016, Microsoft officially declares Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 dead, at least as far as large OEM PC makers are concerned.

Beginning November 1, Microsoft's largest partners, the so-called royalty OEMs like Dell and HP and Lenovo, will no longer be able to build and sell new PCs running any version of Windows except Windows 10.

That's actually a two-year extension on what would have been the normal sales lifecycle for PCs running those earlier Windows versions. But the clock is finally running out.

The end of the Windows 7/8.1 sales lifecycle doesn't mean that those older versions of Windows will be completely dead, of course. As I've explained in the past, the support and sales lifecycles are completely different. (See "What the Windows 7 Pro sales lifecycle changes mean to consumers and business buyers.")

Windows 7 will continue to receive security fixes via Windows Update until January 14, 2020. Windows 8.1 will be supported until January 10, 2023.

In addition, the fact that large OEMs will no longer be able to install older Windows versions on new PCs for sale through retail and commercial channels doesn't mean you're out of options. Here's a partial list of exceptions that will allow businesses and consumers to continue running their old, preferred Windows version:
  • Existing inventory PCs that were built with older Windows versions before the deadline can still be sold. For months, at least, you'll be able to find those PCs on retail store shelves and in distributors' warehouses.
  • Downgrade rights Any new PC you buy that has Windows 10 Pro preinstalled by the manufacturer comes with downgrade rights to Windows 8.1 Pro or Windows 7 Professional, for as long as Microsoft provides support for those earlier versions. You must supply your own installation media, and you have to activate manually.
  • Custom images Corporate customers with volume licenses for Windows that include imaging rights can use custom images incorporating their preferred Windows version. For large customers, OEMs can assist in the installation of those images.
  • System Builder OEMs White-box PC makers who purchase OEM System Builder media for installation on new PCs can continue to build and sell those PCs. Microsoft won't be stocking the channel with new OEM media, but past experience suggests there will be plenty of inventory for years to come.
  • Retail upgrades If all else fails, do it yourself. Microsoft no longer manufactures retail copies of older Windows versions, but here too there's plenty of inventory in the channel and nothing to stop you from doing your own upgrade.
Of course, there are perils and pitfalls associated with running the increasingly aging Windows 7, especially on newer hardware. System manufacturers have no economic incentive to develop drivers and support tools for older Windows versions. Most downgrades will work, but some components might not work properly, or at all.

On new systems with Intel's Kaby Lake processors, versions of Windows before Windows 10 will not be supported at all. That doesn't prohibit you from trying to install Windows 7 on one of these new devices, but don't expect any support from the PC maker or from Microsoft when you inevitably run into problems.

• fabjr, dave, cognizione and 12 others like this

5ULDs17.png

ibm650

ibm650

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,191 posts

like we get support from MS now

• fabjr, Tetley, kingkong800 and 1 other like this

2n72sna.png

Danielx64

Danielx64

• Global Moderator
  • 1,490 posts

Time to order a shipping container from Microsoft:

mscontainer.jpg

• dave, cognizione, gip and 3 others like this

pFAfoZEK.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,846 posts

Title is  "One month left to buy Windows 7 PC" 

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

and yet last week I could still order Windows 7, Desktop and Laptop.

• Tetley and roady like this

PM07fvlP.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,876 posts

Resellers aren't the OEMs, but resellers can no longer get them from the OEMs new, I suspect refurbs can & will be sold by OEMs though.

Beginning November 1, Microsoft's largest partners, the so-called royalty OEMs like Dell and HP and Lenovo, will no longer be able to build and sell new PCs running any version of Windows except Windows 10.

• Snuffy, cognizione, Tetley and 1 other like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,846 posts

http://www.dell.com/...dRefinements=46

$499.99Save 0.6%$502.99 
  • 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-6100 Processor
  • Windows 7 Professional English 64bit (Includes Windows 10 Pro License)
  • 4GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz
  • 1TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
  •  

• dave, cognizione and roady like this

PM07fvlP.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,876 posts

Pretty funny. They are shipping 3 weeks BEFORE you order it.  :histerija:

Dell%20Ship%20BEFORE%20ordering.PNG

• Snuffy, fabjr, cognizione and 1 other like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,158 posts

I still don't get it WHY people still insist on buying Win 7 computers.... :roll:

OK,it was a great OS,but also XP SP3 and Win 2000 SP4 were great.......sometimes,we have to move on,instead of embracing the past..... :D

• Tetley likes this

nda92u.png

Motto of the Malinois Shepherd : 'Semper fi.'till my death does us part.'

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,846 posts

Shipping available, -  Pre Built. 

Info rec'd from a local who purchased. It arrived Saturday via UPS, and she called today.

so I was able to look inside.

• 6th Generation Intel® Core™ i3-6100 Processor
  • Windows 7 Professional English 64bit (Includes Windows 10 Pro License)
  • Not sure where this is located. - she restored the Backup image, because she did not want to loose
  • all her church stuff and family pictures.  (now she has a UnActivated Windows 7 - and the OEM-DM Bios key will not allow upgrade to Windows10) - when I check the key it is a RETAIL key not OEM)
  • include on a 3.5 " HDD
  • 4GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz
  • 1TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive
  • 4GB Single Channel DDR3L 1600MHz - only type of memory that willl work.
  • they are pissed since they had/have 3x4gb DDR3 (not L) in the old one and wanted me to upgrade memory for them

• Tetley and roady like this

PM07fvlP.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,846 posts

Had a client order today.

http://www.dell.com/...-15-3558-laptop

----------------------------------

$379.00

----------------

Processor
Intel® Core™ i3-5005U Processor (3M Cache, 2.00 GHz)
Operating System  (Dell recommends Windows 10 Pro.)
Windows® 7 Professional, 64-bit, English (Includes Windows 10 Pro license)
Memory1
4GB, 1600MHz, DDR3L; up to 8GB (additional memory sold separately)

Hard Drive
500GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive

Graphics Card
Intel® HD Graphics 4400

Display
15.6-inch HD (1366 x 768) Truelife LED-Backlit Display

• Tetley and windrider like this

PM07fvlP.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users