Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Error: Windows cannot access the specified device path or file...

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

eross

eross

• Members (inactive)
  • 11 posts
I am running Windows 10 v1607 build 14393.222

When trying to access a program I have been using for years (Arcsoft Totalmedia Theater v.6), the programs opens once and runs fine. I then shut it down and when I try to run it again I get this error:

Windows cannot access the specified device path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions.

If I restart the PC , I can run the program again, one time. If I close and try to run again, I get the error.
The file name is uTotalMediaTheatre6.exe. I can run other exe files in the program folder without errors.
I have checked permissions in the Security tab of the file and the folder, and gave all the users full control. I also added the Everyone user with full control. I also tried to change ownership of the file and folder to my administrator user.
I tried to run it as administrator - no change.
I then copied the file to another folder and tried to run it from there - same error.
This situation happens on two of my PCs running the software. The problem started a few weeks ago, at the same time, probably following a Win10 update. I have also put he entire folder in the exclusions list of my Antivirus (Avast) and antimalware (Malwarebytes). I also tried to disable both programs to run the program- no change.
I installed the program on another PC with Win 10 pro v1607 build 14393.51 - same result.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

• Tetley and Sundown like this

Netzork

Netzork

• BW9 Donator +
  • 670 posts

Far back in my head, I remember reading something about unsolved incompatibility with Windows 10 (product was discontinued in 2014). While I was unable to find back to that information, there is a thread over at Microsoft here which deals with incompatibility issues for insider builds you can check out.

• Sundown likes this

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 15,078 posts

I also tried to change ownership of the file and folder to my administrator user.
(did you get this done?)

2. Have you tried to run under compatibility mode?

3. some times but not always you can find reference to in your security programs. which might tell or give you an idea

or the issue..

4. It sounds like something changed an made a shortcut which is not proper.  and

5. (are you User with Admin privileges or are you Admin). there is a big difference in Windows 10.

Microsoft gets very upset if you do take FULL Admin Control.

----------------------------

gone most of today, so I hope this helps.

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 1 other like this

PM07fvlP.png

eross

eross

• Members (inactive)
  • 11 posts

1. (did you get this done?)

2. Have you tried to run under compatibility mode?

3. some times but not always you can find reference to in your security programs. which might tell or give you an idea
or the issue..

4. It sounds like something changed an made a shortcut which is not proper.  and

5. (are you User with Admin privileges or are you Admin). there is a big difference in Windows 10.

Microsoft gets very upset if you do take FULL Admin Control.
----------------------------
gone most of today, so I hope this helps.

Yes I did take ownership. I Tried it on several users: user, user with admin privligaes, trusted installer, Everyone. None Helped.
I get the same error when runing in compatibilty mode, as well as runing the file directly from the program folder.
The program worked wll ever since I upgraded from Win7 to 10, until recently.
As I mentioned , I get the same error on a new installation, on a different PC.
Also, the program runs fine right sfter a restart....
  • Snuffy, dave and Sundown like this

eross

eross

• Members (inactive)
  • 11 posts

Far back in my head, I remember reading something about unsolved incompatibility with Windows 10 (product was discontinued in 2014). While I was unable to find back to that information, there is a thread over at Microsoft here which deals with incompatibility issues for insider builds you can check out.

I had the BSOD mentioned in the thread you quote. I solved long ago, by disabling some unnecessary background services of TMT6. The program runs fine without them. These were services related to internet connection, which I don't need of the program.

I use it as a standalone music player, especially for Blu-Ray discs, that supports the BR menu.

• Sundown likes this

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,028 posts

You may check the folders that it's using in ProgramData & the user AppData folders too (and any other users AppData folders as well) to see if you have perms problems.

Just a FYI, I was using a cracked .dll program that messed up the perms on my AppData\Local\Temp\ directory & broke a buncha stuff. Solution, uninstall the bad program fixed 'em all & they ran again.

• cognizione, Tetley and Sundown like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

Sorry, my 3,384 images hosted with Dropbox will no longer show.

eross

eross

• Members (inactive)
  • 11 posts

Program is legit.

I checked permissions on all Arcsoft folders - all good.

Also - why does the program work after a restart and I get the error after I shut it down?

• dave and Sundown like this

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,028 posts

No I was stating the my cracked .dll program messed OTHER programs permissions for that Temp folder & they wouldn't work. I wasn't referring to the TotalMediaTheatre & giving you other destinations to check your permissions. For instance, any TotalMediaTheatre folders used in either ProgramData or AppData. Since you stated that it would run sometimes, COULD be due to ANOTHER program running & taking either of those folders permissions for their own. Really touchy on temp folders in both of those locations. Mostly AppData.

• Sundown likes this

l8Ea9q8f.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 15,078 posts

I think I found the Problem.

I am running Windows 10 v1607 build 14393.222

them old touchy Beta versions.  I wonder if 10586 has that issue....

• Sundown likes this

PM07fvlP.png

donbrew

donbrew

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 142 posts

Uh, that is the anniversary upgrade number, not a Beta.

I am finding some oddities after the upgrade.  A previously running fine  program now has script errors adobe SVG viewer suddenly does not work (in the same program) file explorer stopped working from the taskbar, some scheduled tasks that ran programs got deleted .  I'm wondering if malware removal has started catching stuff.

I also found that some programs terminate, but leave a background process running that prevents it from restarting.  Use task manager to make sure the main program shut down then scroll down and enable background processes and look for another one to kill.

• Sundown likes this

Posted Image

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 15,078 posts

I did notice that the 10586 never rec'd such.  and most everybody using 10586 has next to no issues.

and .222 was to be a "Insider Only Release"  and my LTSB 2015 never rec'd so it really is DUH for me.

10240.17113.amd64fre.th1.160906-1755

• Sundown likes this

PM07fvlP.png

Sundown

Sundown

Sr Member

• BW9 VIP Platinum
  • 323 posts

My Windows 10 Pro updated to .222 and W10 Enterprise on a laptop updated to .222.    Knock on wood, I haven't had trouble on either install and the Pro version is a daily user. 

• dave likes this

cf2ZQcfR.png

eross

eross

• Members (inactive)
  • 11 posts

No I was stating the my cracked .dll program messed OTHER programs permissions for that Temp folder & they wouldn't work. I wasn't referring to the TotalMediaTheatre & giving you other destinations to check your permissions. For instance, any TotalMediaTheatre folders used in either ProgramData or AppData. Since you stated that it would run sometimes, COULD be due to ANOTHER program running & taking either of those folders permissions for their own. Really touchy on temp folders in both of those locations. Mostly AppData.

I checked permissions on all temp folders. I did find a problem in Windows/temp, related to Abasat safe browser and removed it. But still no joy. Other temp folders are ok.

eross

eross

• Members (inactive)
  • 11 posts

Uh, that is the anniversary upgrade number, not a Beta.

I am finding some oddities after the upgrade.  A previously running fine  program now has script errors adobe SVG viewer suddenly does not work (in the same program) file explorer stopped working from the taskbar, some scheduled tasks that ran programs got deleted .  I'm wondering if malware removal has started catching stuff.

I also found that some programs terminate, but leave a background process running that prevents it from restarting.  Use task manager to make sure the main program shut down then scroll down and enable background processes and look for another one to kill.

There are no Arcsoft Totalmedia processes or services left running in the background when I shut it down. Also, if I copy the exe file to a different drive and run it , I get the same error , and not the expected error of missing files. Something in Windows is blocking the actual exe file.

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,028 posts

I would try uninstalling the software with Revo Uninstaller free: http://www.revounins...e_download.html ,ensuring that you clean registry entries & folders with Revo after the native TotalMediaTheatre uninstaller finishes it's process. That is if you still have your registration/license key for that machine.

Then reinstalling your software, after a reboot.

• Tetley and Maxed like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

eross

eross

• Members (inactive)
  • 11 posts

I would try uninstalling the software with Revo Uninstaller free: http://www.revounins...e_download.html ,ensuring that you clean registry entries & folders with Revo after the native TotalMediaTheatre uninstaller finishes it's process. That is if you still have your registration/license key for that machine.

Then reinstalling your software, after a reboot.

I thought of that, then decided to install it on a new PC running the latest version of Windows 10, and very few other programs. I get the same error on the second run of the program. A reboot allows me to run it again, one time.

I think something in Windows marks the file temporarily as blocked. I just can't figure out how and why...

• Tetley likes this

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,028 posts

Oh shoot this explains a lot.

Arcsoft ends support for Total Media Theater

Posted 16 September 2014 21:28 CEST by Kerry Brown

http://www.myce.com/...-theater-72722/

From Arcsoft's website

Total%20Media%20Theater%20retired.PNG

A whole lot of us don't work so well after 2 years of retirement.

• Snuffy and Maxed like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

sjprg

sjprg

GFX & Images Related Software Expert

• Global Moderator
  • 1,811 posts
"A whole lot of us don't work so well after 2 years of retirement".
  • Snuffy, dave and Tetley like this

Posted Image
Paul

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,028 posts

I call mine busy work. I make my own projects to keep from going nutser. Presently hackintoshing macOS Sierra on my HP AIO-PC & actually had it launching & running off of my SSD2 late the other nite, but broke it while trying to set it up with it's own Enoch Chameleon bootloader vs launching it with the Install USB. I've been beating my brains out for a day an a half trying to get it installed again. :banghead:

I'm certain that I'm over-thinking it by now, since I had the perfect installer once & am not able to replicate it again, after clean installing twice the other night while half asleep.

I'll get'er again & now I'm certain that I'm not barking up a wrong tree.  :histerija:

Oh & I retired @ 54 so that I could go crazy quicker! My big brother beat me as usual though, he retired @ 39.

• Tetley likes this

l8Ea9q8f.png

eross

eross

• Members (inactive)
  • 11 posts

Oh shoot this explains a lot.

http://www.myce.com/...-theater-72722/

From Arcsoft's website

Total%20Media%20Theater%20retired.PNG

A whole lot of us don't work so well after 2 years of retirement.

I know support has ended a while back. But the program worked fine until a few weeks ago. Something changed in Windows 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users