Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Seagate drops the world's largest tiny hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Uncle

Uncle

• BW9 VIP Platinum
  • 1,484 posts
Seagate drops the world's largest tiny hard drive
Seagate pushes the 2.5-inch drive needle all the way to 5TB.
barracuda_m_5tb_right-hi-res-100687295-lCredit: Seagategordon19__large__400x400-100530424-bylin
Gordon Mah Ung |
Executive Editor, PCWorld
  • Oct 12, 2016 1:19 PM

Hard drives might take a back seat to SSD's when it comes to sex appeal, but when it comes to space on the cheap, Seagate’s BarraCuda line will turn heads.

Seagate on Tuesday announced two new BarraCuda drives—one of which now holds the record for being the largest-capacity 2.5-inch drive.

The BarraCuda ST5000 pushes the capacity limit from the previous 4TB to 5TB, and will be priced around $85. Seagate says the drive uses the company’s 1TB-per-platter design that it unveiled at CES in January 2016. The same drive is also available in 4TB and 3TB models.

All are 5,400rpm drives with 128MB of cache and a two-year warranty. Power consumption is rated at 2.1 watts under load and 1.1 watts while idle.

Before you consider putting one of these in your laptop, know that the 5TB, 4TB, and 3TB BarraCuda drives are 15mm thick. While they might squeeze into some larger gaming laptops, their primary target is superthin all-in-ones that can’t accommodate full-size 3.5-inch desktop drives.

Seagate also announced a new 5,400rpm BarraCuda ST2000LM015 drive that conforms to the smaller 7mm standard used by many laptops. Unfortunately, that drive doesn’t move the ball any further down the field, maxing out at 2TB.

That’s one area where hard drive makers seem to be losing to SSD makers, which don’t have to contend with as many mechanical limitations. Samsung, in fact, holds the record for the largest consumer SATA drive with its 4TB 850 Evo SSD that fits into a 7mm case.  

Of course, when it comes to value, there's no question: Samsung's 4TB SSD is about $1,400. The 7mm 2TB BarraCuda is about $55, Seagate officials say.

Why this matters: People say hard drives are dead but if for folks who want to get the most capacity for the least amount of cash, they’re still very much alive.

• Snuffy, dave, Tetley and 7 others like this

b34r8t9k.png
Never argue with an Idiot, they will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

People say hard drives are dead but if for folks who want to get the most capacity for the least amount of cash, they’re still very much alive.

SSD for the OS and programs and HD for storage and temporary workflows......that's my preferred setup,no matter if people say that harddrives are dead.... :mrgreen:

• Snuffy, dave, Tetley and 4 others like this

nda92u.png

Motto of the Malinois Shepherd : 'Semper fi.'till my death does us part.'

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,993 posts

I JUST bought a 2Tb WD Black for much needed storage for my HDD dock. When it gets here in a week, I MIGHT stick it internal in my AIO-PC to transfer files quicker from ALL the other HDDs & SSDs (temp remove SSD2), but it will come back out to share the dock with my other storage HDDs. The larger SSDs for storage are still too pricey on my limited budget.

• Tetley, frenchie, Uncle and 5 others like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

Sorry, my 3,384 images hosted with Dropbox will no longer show.

Uncle

Uncle

• BW9 VIP Platinum
  • 1,484 posts

SSD for the OS and programs and HD for storage and temporary workflows......that's my preferred setup,no matter if people say that harddrives are dead.... :mrgreen:

People seem to forget the fundamentals. Once you access the software on your hard drive it sits in your memory, or as in the old days, your Ram drive, for speedy access. With all the memory we use in PC's, I still only use 16 gigs others 32gigs or more. Yes ssd's are fast when starting to load up from scratch and that info still sits in your memory sticks to be used when needed.

• frenchie, Bruce, roady and 1 other like this

b34r8t9k.png
Never argue with an Idiot, they will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

The larger SSDs for storage are still too pricey on my limited budget.

Ditto here,dave ! :occasion14:

And yes,I know that SSD's these days are more reliable than HD's for longtime storage,but if I really want to store important stuff that's hard to replace,I burn a blu-ray with Nero's Securdisc enabled and put the disc away in a black case.... :mrgreen:

• Snuffy, dave, frenchie and 4 others like this

nda92u.png

Uncle

Uncle

• BW9 VIP Platinum
  • 1,484 posts

Ditto here,dave ! :occasion14:

And yes,I know that SSD's these days are more reliable than HD's for longtime storage,but if I really want to store important stuff that's hard to replace,I burn a blu-ray with Nero's Securdisc enabled and put the disc away in a black case.... :mrgreen:

You store it in a black case, say's a lot about your character. I picture you more of as a white case person. :biggrin:

• frenchie, Dahaka, Bruce and 2 others like this

b34r8t9k.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

You store it in a black case, say's a lot about your character. I picture you more of as a white case person. :biggrin:

Sorry Uncle,I don't get this 1.......you know,I'm not a native English speaker,so please elaborate ! :mrgreen:

• frenchie, Dahaka, Bruce and 1 other like this

nda92u.png

Tunez

Tunez

Expiring Minds

• BW9 Donator +
  • 775 posts

Sorry Uncle,I don't get this 1.......you know,I'm not a native English speaker,so please elaborate ! :mrgreen:

UH OH !!!!   :fight:

• frenchie, Dahaka, Bruce and 2 others like this

2jfhj75.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users