Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Time for an upgrade. My new rig

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

trickie69r

trickie69r

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 222 posts
10 years ago I made my first custom PC which is still going strong (albeit a SATA port snapped off the MOBO last Sunday). Currently it is still the same setup today as it was when I first built it and comprised of the following parts:
*P5P43TD/USB3 Motherboard
*E6850 3.0GHz CPU
*Nvidia GTX 280OC 1GB
*8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB Kit (2 x 4GB)
*Cooler Master Cosmos S chasis

When I built this I only had a 1TB HDD to start with. Now over the course of the 10 years I now have the following HDD/SSD's:
2x 960GB SanDisk Extreme Pros
2x 500GB HDD's (Seagate)
3x 1TB HDD's(Seagate/WD mixture)
2x 6TB HDD's (Seagate/WD mixture)

Due to the SATA port snapping and 775 boards are now pretty much obselete, I have finally convinced myself it is time for a new build.
I have just placed an order for the following parts which are due for delivery tomorrow:
*Asus E3-PRO-GAMING-V5 Intel C232 DDR4 ATX Motherboard
*Intel Core I7-6700K Processor (4 GHz, 8 M Cache, LGA1151)
*Arctic Silver 5 3.5 gram Thermal Paste and Arcticlean value pack
*Cooler Master V8 ver.2 CPU Cooler "RR-V8VC-16PR-R2, 8 Heatpipe, Vapor Chamber, 2x 120mm PWM Red LED Fan, Intel / AMD"
*Ballistix Sport LT 32GB Kit (16GBx2) DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DIMM 288-Pin Memory
*Corsair CP-9020094-UK RM1000X 1000 W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power Supply Unit
*NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8GB

I will be moving over all the HDD/SSD's and PCI/PCIe cards (TV Tuner, SATA 6GBs and USB3) and also using the same chasis.

I am quite impressed that my first build has lasted so long and hope my new build can last as long.

Woot, Woot!! Finally upgrading!
:D

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
  • masmasa, dave, sdm5821 and 11 others like this

bi5hg2.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,646 posts

Kewl & thank you for sharing your excitement!  Wahoo.gif

Before & after pics would be a lotta fun too, especially since you are using the same chassis/case!    wink-wink!!!

• volvo, masmasa, cognizione and 6 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

TanMan

TanMan

System Software Forum Moderator

• 852 posts

Nice rig, your motherboard says it supports up to DDR4 2133, and your RAM is DDR4 2400. From the specs:

* Due to Intel® chipset limitation, DDR4 2133 MHz and higher memory modules on XMP mode will run at the maximum transfer rate of DDR4 2133 Mhz.

You may want to consider a newer motherboard, and faster RAM. I'd go with DDR4 3600, or perhaps DDR4 3200. But with that 8GB GTX 1080 in there, a couple of bucks more for the DDR4 3600 should be worth it.

• gip, Tetley, xpdualcore and 3 others like this

Posted Image

trickie69r

trickie69r

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 222 posts

Kewl & thank you for sharing your excitement! Wahoo.gif

Before & after pics would be a lotta fun too, especially since you are using the same chassis/case! wink-wink!!!

Will do, probably be next week or the week after due to work commitments.

Nice rig, your motherboard says it supports up to DDR4 2133, and your RAM is DDR4 2400. From the specs:

* Due to Intel® chipset limitation, DDR4 2133 MHz and higher memory modules on XMP mode will run at the maximum transfer rate of DDR4 2133 Mhz.

https://www.asus.com...specifications/

You may want to consider a newer motherboard, and faster RAM. I'd go with DDR4 3600, or perhaps DDR4 3200. But with that 8GB GTX 1080 in there, a couple of bucks more for the DDR4 3600 should be worth it.

I have now cancelled the GTX 1080 (to repurchase again within the next 2 months) and exchanging the motherboard and RAM for the following:
ASUS Z170 Premium and Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz, hence cancelling the GPU until a later date (cost savings). I would of got 3600MHz, but there are none around for the GB size that I want to start with (2x16GB).
  • dave, xpdualcore, frenchie and 3 others like this

bi5hg2.png

Danielx64

Danielx64

• Global Moderator
  • 1,449 posts

What your power supply? If it like 10 years old I would think about replacing that as well - as they don't last forever and can go bang at any time. Also the other thing is is there enough wattage to handle everything?

• dave, Tetley, xpdualcore and 3 others like this

2hgv0oy.png

trickie69r

trickie69r

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 222 posts

What your power supply? If it like 10 years old I would think about replacing that as well - as they don't last forever and can go bang at any time. Also the other thing is is there enough wattage to handle everything?

Brand new PSU: Corsair RM1000X :)

• dave, Tetley, xpdualcore and 4 others like this

bi5hg2.png

TanMan

TanMan

System Software Forum Moderator

• 852 posts

I have now cancelled the GTX 1080 (to repurchase again within the next 2 months) and exchanging the motherboard and RAM for the following:
ASUS Z170 Premium and Corsair Vengeance LED 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz, hence cancelling the GPU until a later date (cost savings). I would of got 3600MHz, but there are none around for the GB size that I want to start with (2x16GB).

Christ, that Asus Z170 Premium is packed with features! And what a price to go with it! You can get fast memory support in a cheaper motherboard, but if you need all those features, it's a sweet motherboard.

Re the RAM, yes, the 3200 is a much better value than the 3600. And the Corsair Vengeance is CL16 and a good value. If you don't get the LED and get the LPX instead, you can save a few bucks.

Re your video card, yes, the GTX 1080 is a killer video card. But the high price makes its value lower. The GTX 1060, or even the GTX 1050 TI is a much better value. Performance isn't as good as the 1080, but performance is very good, and the price of these cards can't be beat.

Gigabyte GTX 1060 OC 6GB DDR5 $250 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JNUO6BG

Asus GTX 1050 Ti 4GB DDR5 dual-fan $160 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCVH13I

FYI, I use Passmark's video rating site to figure out what to buy. Go here: http://www.videocard...et/gpu_list.php

Click on the Videocard Value heading twice so that it sorts by Value descending. Then look for the highest Passmark rating (or lowest rank) in the first few. You can see that the GTX 1060 with more RAM (3GB in their chart) performs quite well, and the GTX 1050 Ti is acceptable if money is a concern, but not as good.

• trickie69r, xpdualcore, frenchie and 2 others like this

Posted Image

trickie69r

trickie69r

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 222 posts

Christ, that Asus Z170 Premium is packed with features! And what a price to go with it! You can get fast memory support in a cheaper motherboard, but if you need all those features, it's a sweet motherboard.

Re the RAM, yes, the 3200 is a much better value than the 3600. And the Corsair Vengeance is CL16 and a good value. If you don't get the LED and get the LPX instead, you can save a few bucks.

Re your video card, yes, the GTX 1080 is a killer video card. But the high price makes its value lower. The GTX 1060, or even the GTX 1050 TI is a much better value. Performance isn't as good as the 1080, but performance is very good, and the price of these cards can't be beat.

Gigabyte GTX 1060 OC 6GB DDR5 $250 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JNUO6BG

Asus GTX 1050 Ti 4GB DDR5 dual-fan $160 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MCVH13I

FYI, I use Passmark's video rating site to figure out what to buy. Go here: http://www.videocard...et/gpu_list.php
Click on the Videocard Value heading twice so that it sorts by Value descending. Then look for the highest Passmark rating (or lowest rank) in the first few. You can see that the GTX 1060 with more RAM (3GB in their chart) performs quite well, and the GTX 1050 Ti is acceptable if money is a concern, but not as good.

I'm lucky that I can get some some things at cost price. The Z170 Premium only cost me £248.97 instead of the of the £320+ price tag.

r.e. GPU, I'll look into the GTX 1060 as I can get that for around £212.85. If needed, I can always upgrade it in a year or 2.

Thanks for the link, will come in handy. I tend to use pcpartpickers website to aid marrying hardware when specing a new PC.

• xpdualcore, frenchie, TanMan and 2 others like this

bi5hg2.png

trickie69r

trickie69r

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 222 posts
Here is photo no.1 which arrived yesterday and was the original plan for upgrade. E3 Pro Gaming and Corsair Ballistix 32GB (2x16GB) are being returned today.
fe1511d115ea4de2b1fda00d5bbded99.jpg

Here is the photo with motherboard I will now be using (ASUS Z170 Premium):
477b55d8106bdcc67e4e2f190d6bc410.jpg

Now just waiting on the RAM (Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 32GB (2x16 GB))

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 5 others like this

bi5hg2.png

xpdualcore

xpdualcore

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 464 posts

Looks a good combination... making me think its time to upgrade my ancient i7 920 setup..

• dave, frenchie, TanMan and 2 others like this

316p2ko.gif

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,646 posts

Is Christmas coming early for some of our BW9 members?  :histerija:

I know I always feel lika kid on Christmas when parts start to arrive (doesn't matter that I paid for them).

• trickie69r, cognizione, frenchie and 5 others like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users