Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Need help with Motorola Moto G

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

dhjohns

dhjohns

Exalted

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,330 posts

My sister just gave me her Motorola Moto G phone.  It is running Android 5.1.  I was wondering if there was a way to jailbreak it or something.  Her carrier was Consumer Cellular if that makes a difference.  I was wondering if there is a way to put on just a plain OS with no carrier stuff.  I am just going to use it for WiFi for now.

• gip, Tetley, frenchie and 3 others like this

WQzxyjG7.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

Plenty of options for that device,you just have to take your pick........and take a good read ! :mrgreen:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-g

Personally,I would go for this 1 :

http://forum.xda-dev...falcon-t3496750

• dave, cognizione, gip and 6 others like this

nda92u.png

Motto of the Malinois Shepherd : 'Semper fi.'till my death does us part.'

dhjohns

dhjohns

Exalted

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,330 posts

Thanks, It looks like a foreign language to me at the moment.  I will need to do some research.

• gip, frenchie, roady and 1 other like this

WQzxyjG7.png

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

• Global Moderator
  • 3,718 posts

What year was it made?  I have the 2014 model.  Motorola only lets you upgrade to 6.0.

Motorola Moto G™ DTV Colors (2nd Generation)
Android 6.0 (Build MPB24.65-34-3)
Android Security Patch level August 1, 2016
Device ID - XT1069
Release date: Thu., 16. Oct. 2014

I found that the upgrade to Marshmallow made the battery last longer and the OS felt more stable.

• dave, cognizione, gip and 4 others like this

1zbfi1f.jpg

dhjohns

dhjohns

Exalted

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,330 posts

What year was it made?  I have the 2014 model.  Motorola only lets you upgrade to 6.0.

Motorola Moto G™ DTV Colors (2nd Generation)
Android 6.0 (Build MPB24.65-34-3)
Android Security Patch level August 1, 2016
Device ID - XT1069
Release date: Thu., 16. Oct. 2014

I found that the upgrade to Marshmallow made the battery last longer and the OS felt more stable.

I think it is newer than that.  How would I upgrade?  Well I found out, and it is running 5.1 but says up to date.

• gip, frenchie, roady and 1 other like this

WQzxyjG7.png

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

Settings-->system-->update

Check if there's an 'OTA' update if you're connected to a wi-fi network......

If there's a later version available from the manufacturer,you can update yours...

• dave, cognizione, gip and 4 others like this

nda92u.png

Motto of the Malinois Shepherd : 'Semper fi.'till my death does us part.'

hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006

• BW9 Donator +
  • 667 posts

Which Moto G is it. Moto G (1st /1st and a half /2nd/3rd/4th Gen.

For almost all of the Moto G's there is a custom rom for them however it will require the bootloader to be unlocked and a custom recovery put into place so that custom roms can be flash however not all Moto G's bootloaders was unlockable.

Being an EX-Betatester for Motorola i can help with the Moto G LTE (XT1039) and the Moto G 2015 (XT1541) phones as i own them myself and i have past experience with android as well.

It would be best if you could give a Model Number It will begin with XT and can be found under settings -> About as this will make it easier to help.

XDA Developers is also a good place to have a look (I am also a user on there and help when i can there too).

• dave, cognizione, gip and 5 others like this

lhrPKEph.png

My Current Gaming System

MSI GT72 6QD: Intel i7 6700HQ, 32GB DDR4, 256GB Samsung nVME SM951, 2x 1TB SanDisk X400 M.2, 1TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Seagate HDD @7200RPM, nVidia GTX970M 6GB, Realtek 898 ALC with Nahimic and Dynaudio Speakers. Windows 10 Home OEM:DM upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (Legit). 230w PSU.

dhjohns

dhjohns

Exalted

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,330 posts

Under about phone here is what is listed:

Model number -- Moto G  So I guess it is First Generation

Android version -- 5.1

Android security patch level 2016-03-01

Baseband version -- MSM8626BP_1032.3116.98.00R CCAWS_CUST

Kernel version -- 3.4.42-g89906d6

hudsoncm@ilclbld120 #1

Fri Feb 26 07:11:12 CST 2016

System version -- 221.201.2.falcon_urnts.AWSCC.en.us

Build number -- LPBS23.13-58-2

If you need any more info about phone just tell me what, and How To Find it.  I am very, very unfamiliar with Android.

• gip, frenchie and Sundown like this

WQzxyjG7.png

hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006

• BW9 Donator +
  • 667 posts

Yep its a 1st gen.

Unlock Bootloader: http://forum.xda-dev...covery-t3418432

ROM: http://forum.xda-dev...v5-6-2-t3300407

You will need to have Bootloader Unlocked and  a custom recovery to flash the Android N firmware on. Any issues hit us up.

Will be out for a while but will be on later.

• dave, gip, Tetley and 3 others like this

lhrPKEph.png

My Current Gaming System

MSI GT72 6QD: Intel i7 6700HQ, 32GB DDR4, 256GB Samsung nVME SM951, 2x 1TB SanDisk X400 M.2, 1TB Hitachi HDD, 1TB Seagate HDD @7200RPM, nVidia GTX970M 6GB, Realtek 898 ALC with Nahimic and Dynaudio Speakers. Windows 10 Home OEM:DM upgrade to Windows 10 Pro (Legit). 230w PSU.

dhjohns

dhjohns

Exalted

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,330 posts

So this installs a new version of Android?

• gip, frenchie and Sundown like this

WQzxyjG7.png

hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006

• BW9 Donator +
  • 667 posts

Yep this will be a ASOP Firmware of Android 7.0 as Motorola stopped updates on the Moto G 1st edition on Android 5.1.1.

If you do not like the new rom i can help put the old one back on.

• gip, frenchie, dhjohns and 1 other like this

lhrPKEph.png

My Current Gaming System

dhjohns

dhjohns

Exalted

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,330 posts

Yep this will be a ASOP Firmware of Android 7.0 as Motorola stopped updates on the Moto G 1st edition on Android 5.1.1.

If you do not like the new rom i can help put the old one back on.

Thanks for your help.  I will be doing this.  I have to round up a USB cable first though.

• hacktrix2006, dave, gip and 2 others like this

WQzxyjG7.png

hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006

• BW9 Donator +
  • 667 posts

Good luck bud. Its not that hard once you have unlocked the bootloader that might be the only issue you might hit that will stop you in your tracks. However a few commands will help me help you if that issue arises.

• dave, cognizione, frenchie and 2 others like this

lhrPKEph.png

My Current Gaming System

dhjohns

dhjohns

Exalted

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,330 posts

OK, so now I have a Moto G with unlocked bootloader, TWRP 3 recovery and root access.  I also have downloaded GApps, and the ResurrectionRemix-N-v5.8.0.  What do I do now?

• hacktrix2006 and frenchie like this

WQzxyjG7.png

dhjohns

dhjohns

Exalted

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,330 posts

Update:  I put on a different OS from xda developers, but I didn't like it, so I flashed back on the Android 5.1 I had before, and because I had linked everything to my google account all my apps are downloading, updating, etc.  Everything seems to be good so far.   :headbang: 

• hacktrix2006, Tetley and frenchie like this

WQzxyjG7.png

hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006

• BW9 Donator +
  • 667 posts

Sorry i totally missed your updates man. Glad you managed it though. Normally i use Cyangenmod for OS on my phones runs smoother on stable releases. Also there might even be a Marshmallow Rom or even Nought Rom's out for the Moto G.

Also for future use if your flashing a Rom via TWRP you simply do the following.

Factory reset via Wipe menu.

Then Flash Rom and Gapps after (Make sure Gapps matches the OS its intended for!)

Reboot and enjoy the new rom.

• frenchie and dhjohns like this

lhrPKEph.png

My Current Gaming System

dhjohns

dhjohns

Exalted

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,330 posts

Right now I would just like the update notifications to stop since it goes into continuous loop.  Always asks to restart after 1 minute or so.  Seems to be an issue with unrooted phones.  I am using Android 5.1 right now.

• Tetley and frenchie like this

WQzxyjG7.png

hacktrix2006

hacktrix2006

• BW9 Donator +
  • 667 posts

Right you have two choices.

1) Put the original Stock recovery back on (OTA's for motorola uses hash checking and fails to install if not the same)

2) Root the phone and install FlashFire and flash the OTA via that program (This is how i do it on my Nvidia Shield Tablet K1)

If you going down choice 1 route then head other to this thread on XDA: http://forum.xda-dev...rmware-t3110795 and make sure you pick the correct stock firmware for device.

Then using fastboot like you  did to flash custom recovery you use the command

mfastboot flash recovery recovery.img

This will then flash the stock firmware back on and allow you to OTA update so long as you have not modified the system partition (AKA Root installed currently).

edit: Updated the link to stock firmwares. Check the firmware build number before flashing the (Newer Build) versions as if your on a lower version and flash a recovery image from a new version it will not accept the OTA Either.

• Tetley, frenchie and dhjohns like this

lhrPKEph.png

My Current Gaming System

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users