Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

BIOS and UEFI Explained

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Dahaka

Dahaka

Backup & HDD Tools Moderator

• 3,611 posts

Many (less experienced) users will like this video.

• dave, alfreire, cognizione and 9 others like this

Al

Al

• BW9 Donator +
  • 718 posts

I always change my PCs to use legacy support for hard drives. UEFI is probably fine but causes the hard drive to be formatted as FAT32, which only allows 4GB files. I have many over that limit, including some custom install.wim files and most video files.

• dhjohns likes this

Posted Image

[Retired: Each morning I make a list of those things that I'm not going to do today and then I don't do them]

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,611 posts

I'm not sure you understood the message in the video. One of the main points of using UEFI is to take advantage of using HDDs with more than 2TB storage space. However, the setup of Windows creates a small FAT32 partition of 100MB for System files, an NTFS "recovery" partition of 450MB (in my case), another smaller 16MB partition and the rest of the available space goes to the Windows partition, which is automatically set as NTFS.

hAnZAaYo.png

• cognizione, Uncle, Martinh and 1 other like this

Uncle

Uncle

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,071 posts

I'm not sure you understood the message in the video. One of the main points of using UEFI is to take advantage of using HDDs with more than 2TB storage space. However, the setup of Windows creates a small FAT 32 partition of 100MB for System files, an NTFS "recovery" partition of 450MB (in my case), another smaller 16MB partition and the rest of the available space goes to the Windows partition, which is automatically set as NTFS.

hAnZAaYo.png

Good answer. Was wondering if i was losing my memory. "legacy support for hard drives." to me still means older product support. So am I a legacy member. ;)

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 1 other like this

v33cb5.png
Never argue with an Idiot, they will bring you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Al

Al

• BW9 Donator +
  • 718 posts

Dahaka, I stand corrected. Thank you.

• cognizione, Uncle, Dahaka and 1 other like this

Posted Image

[Retired: Each morning I make a list of those things that I'm not going to do today and then I don't do them]

Al

Al

• BW9 Donator +
  • 718 posts

Note that with UEFI, you cannot install from an ISO or DVD if your install.wim is greater than 4GB. Due to the application of update .CABs and combining x86 & x64 into the .WIM and not compressing it into and .ESD, many of my installs have install.wims greater than 4GB. That's why I use the "legacy" method.

Posted Image

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,611 posts

Note that with UEFI, you cannot install from an ISO or DVD if your install.wim is greater than 4GB. Due to the application of update .CABs and combining x86 & x64 into the .WIM and not compressing it into and .ESD, many of my installs have install.wims greater than 4GB. That's why I use the "legacy" method.

Well now, if you're tinkering with ISO files and making your customized setups that's something else - you should know what you're doing or know what to expect. Whenever I describe solutions or present cases I consider one of the Windows flavors with its original ISO. But still, you can try putting that setup on a USB drive with Rufus.

As a curiosity, what is it exactly that the customized WIM contains as an extra in your case? Why "not compressing"?

Al

Al

• BW9 Donator +
  • 718 posts

Well in order to remove anything you don't want, such as Russian language, you have to convert the ESD to a WIM and then do the removal. Often when you have a WIM it may exceed the 4GB limit. I've also noticed that when I use and ESD with an autounattend.xml, the install will fail. It appears that an autounattend.xml needs to work with a WIM. So I always use a WIM and if I fiddle with it or not, it may (and often does) exceed 4GB. So to make things very simple, I do not use UEFI. If I use UEFI I have the 4GB limit, if I do not 4GB, bigger or smaller, is not an issue.

Posted Image

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,607 posts

That is why you should be using .swms

because i do UEFI and have some that are well over 4GB.  so your excuse for doing "Legacy" is IMHO poor excuse.

Most OEMs use .swms. also, when you make a Factory USB Restore.

• cognizione likes this

96ccd5e8-d519-4cda-9053-631ef1c070b8_zps

Al

Al

• BW9 Donator +
  • 718 posts

Well, first the earth cooled, then the dinosaurs came. Then there was dirt, and then there was legacy. Guess I'm old fashioned.

• Snuffy and cognizione like this

Posted Image

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,607 posts

Well UEFI scared me also, but once you get use to it. has (IMHO) bennies over Legacy.

and Remember Windows 7 will also Install in UEFI.  and it was for me a new learning experience to learn .SWM

then I could Modify OEM Factory USBs.

• Tetley and Dahaka like this

Al

Al

• BW9 Donator +
  • 718 posts

Thank you Snuffy, I know all about UEFI and .SWMs. Don't really want a work-around so I can UEFI, I just prefer not to use it.

• Snuffy and dave like this

Posted Image

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,613 posts

Thank you Snuffy, I know all about UEFI and .SWMs. Don't really want a work-around so I can UEFI, I just prefer not to use it.

I share your preference.  ;) 

I spent too much time undoing what UEFI enabled & GPT partitioning did when testing macOS in real machine on my HP. Not worth the headaches for me. I'll keep the UEFI for VMs thank you very much. At least for the time being.

• Snuffy and cognizione like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,611 posts

OK, you can choose not to use it, but it may become the mandatory standard one day. What then? :mrgreen:

• Snuffy likes this

Al

Al

• BW9 Donator +
  • 718 posts

Snuffy, why is this such an issue for you? I gave my reasons for my choice. Remember, everyone gets wet in a pissing match.

I believe this issue is closed, I will not longer post in this subject.

• Snuffy likes this

Posted Image

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,607 posts

Most of the NEW OEMs are set to UEFI.  and have REMOVED the Ability to use "Legacy".

and that my Friend is why I took the time to LEARN UEFI and how to INSTALL Windows 7 and up

on UEFI. and yes i know the USB needs to be Fat32. and SWM allow me to do all this.

That is WHY this is an ISSUE.  sooner or later you will need to know. 

Like I have 2 OEM USBs 16GB  that I have for expediance of SPEED, since USB is much faster than DVDs.

and when you have more than 1 or 2 Computers in a Clients to do "I prefer to do this as FAST as Possible"

so the use of "UEFI and .swms" is for me the only way to go.

• Dahaka likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users