Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

The holiday traveling season: Not-so-famous travel destinations

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

• Global Moderator
  • 3,695 posts

Happy holidays everyone!  Lookin' to get out on the road, away from the shopping crowds?  I do, it's too noisy around here, I started thinking of some of the places I've visited in my travels over the years.

Are there any memorable places you have visited, kinda off-the-trail hide-a-ways where only the locals know about and take pride in?  Add to this thread.

Some of the interesting places I've visited in my travels in the USA: descriptions borrowed from Wikipedia.

Carhenge, Alliance, Nebraska

Carhenge is a replica of England's Stonehenge located near the city of Alliance, Nebraska, on the High Plains region of the United States. Instead of being built with large standing stones, as is the case with the original Stonehenge, Carhenge is formed from vintage American automobiles, all covered with gray spray paint. Built by Jim Reinders, it was dedicated at the June 1987 summer solstice. In 2006, a visitor center was constructed to serve the site.

Carhenge is a replica of England's Stonehenge located near the city of Alliance, Nebraska, on the High Plains region of the United States. Wikipedia
Address: 2151 Co Rd 59, Alliance, NE 69301, USA
Artist: Jim Reinders
Construction started: June 1987
Hours: Open today · 8AM–7PM

Pipestone National Monument, Pipestone, Minnesota

Pipestone National Monument is located in southwestern Minnesota, just north of the city of Pipestone, Minnesota. It is located along the highways of U.S. Route 75, Minnesota State Highway 23 and Minnesota State Highway 30.
The catlinite, or "pipestone", has been traditionally used to make ceremonial pipes, vitally important to traditional Plains Indian religious practices. The quarries are sacred to most of the tribe of North America, Dakota, Lakota, and other tribes of Native Americans, and were neutral territory where all Nations could quarry stone for ceremonial pipes. The Sioux tribes may have taken control of the quarries around 1700, but the Minnesota pipestone has been found inside North American burial mounds dating from long before that, and ancient Indian trails leading to the area suggest pipestone may have been quarried there for many centuries

Location Sweet Township, Pipestone County, Minnesota
Nearest city Pipestone, Minnesota
Coordinates 44°0′48″N 96°19′30″WCoordinates: 44°0′48″N 96°19′30″W
Area 281.78 acres (1.14 km²)

Rock City. Lookout Mountain, Georgia

Rock City is on Lookout Mountain in Lookout Mountain, Georgia, located near Ruby Falls. It is well known for the many barn advertisements throughout the Southeast and Midwest United States that have the slogan "See Rock City" painted on roofs and sides. Clark Byers painted over 900 barn roofs in nineteen states for Rock City from 1935 to 1969.
Rock City claims that it is possible to see seven states from Lover's Leap, a point in Rock City, but this has not been proven.

ROCK CITY
1400 Patten Road, Lookout Mountain, GA
Outside the city of Chatanooga, Tennesee at the TOP of Lookout Mountain
Current Hours of Operation: Daytime Hours: 8:30am – 4:00pm
Evening Event Hours: 6:00pm - 9:00pmCoordinates: 34°58′26″N 85°20′55″W

Animal World and Snake Farm Zoo, New Braunfells, Texas

I visited here when it was only 'Snake Farm'. There is another one in Louisiana off Hwy 60, don't know if it still exists, they were building the (what we called) the Okefenokee Swamp freeway back then.
For half a century, the “Snake Farm” has been one the most prominent must-see attractions in the San Antonio/Austin area. Its establishment in 1967 provided a home to an extensive collection of snakes, reptiles and other exotic mammals. With its historic roots and loyal fan base, the “Snake Farm” quickly became an popular roadside attraction that both locals and travelers were drawn to.

5640 Interstate Highway 35 S between Austin and San Antonio
New Braundels, Texas 78132

• volvo, dave, alfreire and 3 others like this

1zbfi1f.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users