Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

On the subject of music, most old recordings rely almost entirely on dynamics...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Netzork

Netzork

• BW9 Donator +
  • 658 posts

You will of course find old recordings that actualy works in these days of loudness, limiters and equalization, but dynamics sufffer, big time. Now, what is the gain? Absolutely nothing!

Dynamics in music is a totally own arena these days where everything is supposed to sound the same and as loud as is technological possible. Sometimes it simply is not the infinite versatilty that is the challenge, more so what you can do without it. Dynamics is a part of music, deal with it. From time to time I wonder what they did, the first that transferred vinyl masters to CD as they obviously did something right. Truth is they did little else, simply transferred the master to CD.

Man, we'll have to fight to get that back ;)

If anything is unclear, just ask :biggrin:

• dave, cognizione, Haich and 5 others like this

roady

roady

General Help

• Global Moderator
  • 3,198 posts

For me,the real cd era started with Fleedwood Mac's Tango In The Night,and IMHO,it's hard to find albums these days that have the same dynamics.....

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 2 others like this

nda92u.png

Motto of the Malinois Shepherd : 'Semper fi.'till my death does us part.'

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,993 posts

You hafta stick your head in the bowl to get the real dynamics of this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/97pgsm7nvl6qujq/toilet_flush.wav?dl=0

Which is the sounds that's made every time I empty the recycle bin, coincidentally.

• volvo, cognizione, Tetley and 3 others like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

Sorry, my 3,384 images hosted with Dropbox will no longer show.

Haich

Haich

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 852 posts

40 yrs of playing loud guitars and amps not too mention hrs with headphones on ... I'm grateful I can still hear at all - I'm definitely missing a few frequencies. 

But but compression and mastering algorithms have a lot to answer for - so does Idol, XFactor and any of those talent shows that allow people to warble all over a melody :histerija:

• dave, cognizione, Tetley and 4 others like this

Tele14.png

music is medicine for the soul

Netzork

Netzork

• BW9 Donator +
  • 658 posts

I went through and compared a lot of recordings yesterday. Remaster versus original and there is a change for the worse 200x onwards where recordings wear you out and I notice I get tired of listening to the remaster. It is simply too loud.

Where the original recording may have a span of let's say 38db between the weakest and strongest sound, a dynamically compressed remaster limits that to say 12db. To my ear it mostly become tiresome and 'flat', but the non-remaster does not and can be played louder as the crescendo(s) only last for seconds.

You can pretty much pick up any remaster until mid 90's, then you better start 'cherry-picking' in the loudness war we're in (the whole thing is due to radio-play, destroying even the album format in the process it seems).

There is a tool out there that you can use to analyze your own remasters to see if they're remastered to pieces. MasVis is freeware, go check it out if you like.

Silence, music's original alternative and from where dynamics start :headbang:

• Tetley, frenchie and roady like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users