Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

I want to erase everything from my computer!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

Raven1645

Raven1645

• Members
  • 21 posts
I want to erase everything from my HP Vista computer, but I have no idea how to do this without damaging it.

The reason why I want this is because numerous programs that I have had before, such as iTunes, can't download/function anymore, and the computer is slow as hell.

I want to erase everything. All programs, all data.
The way it was when I bought it.

How do I do this?
I've tried the F8 and F11 thing when starting the computer, but F11 will display a blue screen with cursor, and F8 will display some codes I don't understand after choosing 'reboot', and after that it will only show a black screen without cursor.
I do not have a recovery DVD.

Please help me out, I want a smooth computer again!

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,847 posts
You may have a recovery partition that will allow you to restore to factory.

This should do it.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00809678&product=18703

1.Press the Power button to start the PC, and then press the f11 key when the standard BIOS prompts are displayed on the black screen.
NOTE: Pressing the f11 key during the startup on a computer with an HP factory image will start the system recovery process even if the prompt is not displayed.

Note: If pressing F11 key not working, try tapping repeatedly quickly.

[color=white]If the HP Recovery Manager can access the recovery partition on the hard drive, a prompt to backup the user files before beginning the recovery is displayed. Follow any on-screen instructions.
    If the HP Recovery Manager cannot access the hard drive to fix any system errors, you will need to use the personalized recovery disc that you created to recover the hard drive to its original condition.
    If you have not created the personalized recovery disc, or the discs are corrupted, you can order a replacement recovery disc from HP.

2.When the Recovery Manager starts, follow the step-by-step recovery instructions shown above.

• Jimbolarue likes this

dave%20green%20sig.png

Raven1645

Raven1645

• Members
  • 21 posts

You may have a recovery partition that will allow you to restore to factory. Before we proceed, we'll need your Make/ model of your PC to help.

I don't really know alot of computers, so I just copied this:

Factory: Hewlett-Packard Company
Model: s7720.nl
Processor: AMD Athlon 64x2 dual core processor 3800+ 2.00 GHz
RAM: 894 MB
Type: 32- bits

Guest_DC_STEVE_*

Guest_DC_STEVE_*
  • Guests
Assuming that you are going to rebuild the computer with the same operating system that it came with, if you insert the disk it should prompt you for a new installation, either as a "clean" fresh install or possibly an upgrade. You would choose the clean install.

That will tell you that the disk must be formatted and that will erase the entire boot drive. If you have other drives you wish to erase you can select them in My Computer by right clicking the drive and you will get a drop down menu with one of the choices being to format.

I am assuming that you do not wish to do a destructive 100% erasure of all  your drives. That would require special software to completely destroy all the content on the drive and revert to factory condition. It also takes a very - very long time to complete a total erasure depending upon the size of the drives being erased. You can only do one at a time.

If you want to install a new operating system, the process is the same as a reinstallation of the original system. The new disk should prompt you for a clean install and the boot drive will be reformatted and all content lost.

MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP ALL THE FILES AND FOLDERS THAT ARE IMPORTANT TO YOU BEFORE YOU DO ANY DESTRUCTIVE ACTS THAT MAY ELIMINATE ANY CHANCE TO RECOVER YOUR DATA. :banghead: :banghead:

Another fact to consider before you go tearing off and destroy your system, have you checked for Malware or Virus/Trojans that many times produce symptoms to the ones you described. There are multiple free products available that can do the job of cleaning your system and most of the best are available right here at W7V. :occasion14:

Any other questions, just post them here. There are lots of folks here ready to help you. :headbang: :headbang:

Steve  :biggrin:
  • gip likes this

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,847 posts
I'm certain that you're getting a stuck error w/ your F11 procedure (press and hold F11), So try tapping F11 repeatedly (quickly) as stated above. That will get you into Recovery mode.

Note

computer with an HP factory image will start the system recovery process even if the prompt is not displayed.

dave%20green%20sig.png

petrossa

petrossa

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,995 posts
sounds indeed really like you are virus infected. My system is to install a new version of the OS on the same partition. That'll keep all your data and you can slowly reinstall your stuff.

It's really the easiest by far, trust me i've been there  :banghead:

Posted Image

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

• Global Moderator
  • 3,710 posts
If it is possible, can you increase the memory to 2 gb?  1 gb runing Vista is very slow anyway!  Windows 7 would run better.
A quick way of destroying all your data is just to delete the partition using an original Windows DVD or a third party software like Hirens...  but you better be prepared before hand.  Backup!  Have drivers ready to install.  Write down your internet connection settings..  lots of things to consider!

1zbfi1f.jpg

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,822 posts
This is directly from the Hewlett Packard Site on how to RESTORE.

There are a couple of ways to reach the recovery screen. The easiest will be to tap the F10 key repeatedly when booting the PC. This will take you to a screen to begin the process. Or, once in Windows, you can go to Start>All Programs>HP Tools>HP PC System Recovery.

Follow the onscreen instructions. The process may take an hour or two depending on the size of the hard drive. Once complete, your HP computer should be reverted to the original factory condition

PM07fvlP.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,847 posts
So is this...

Posted Image

From link posted earlier...

Attached Files

• volvo and Dahaka like this

dave%20green%20sig.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,822 posts
Well one of them shoudl work.... F10 or F11.

PM07fvlP.png

Second_Attempt

Second_Attempt

• Members
  • 1 posts

You can always hard reset the HDD if your running Vista or above. Open a CMD window, and at the prompt type,  c:\windows\system32\sysprep , assuming C: is your primary boot partition. When CMD window cursor is blinking AFTER the line c:\windows\system32\sysprep , type sysprep / generalize /oobe and then enter.

This will wipe all the SIM links in your PC, delete all the driver links, and delete the SID's, then the PC will shutdown.

Turn it back on, wait for a LONG time on reboot, it will take about 20 minutes on average and when your booted back to your desktop, it will be like the 1st day you turned the PC on.

All the software will still be there, but all drivers, links and shortcuts should now work and all software should be back to default install settings.

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

• Global Moderator
  • 3,710 posts

This topic is three years old, I wonder if the operator or the machine is still living?

Hey  Raven1645!  Give us an update!

• Snuffy, dave and Dahaka like this

1zbfi1f.jpg

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 12,847 posts

This topic is three years old, I wonder if the operator or the machine is still living?

Hey  Raven1645!  Give us an update!

:histerija:  He hasn't been online since we've been switched over to Beyond Windows 9, and one of our repliers  BlackOps has passed on.

We're still thinking about you Steve, fondly!!!   :headbang:

• Snuffy likes this

dave%20green%20sig.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 14,822 posts

Maybe it should be locked.

Done!  ;)   dave

• dave likes this

PM07fvlP.png