Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Windows installer not working

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Raven1645

Raven1645

• Members
  • 21 posts
My windows installer is not working. Whenever I download something, it will work, and when I try to install it, the regular install bar (which can vary from program to program) will show up.
However, once the bar is 100% full, an error message will show up.
If I then press OK, the installer will perform a 'rolling bak action' and restart the installation at 0%.

Anybody got any ideas how to solve this? I can't donwload stuff like iTunes and it's pretty annoying.

Thanks!

Attached Files

Guest_secr9tos_*

Guest_secr9tos_*
  • Guests
The error code means: "The referenced assembly is not installed on your system"

Obtain the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (and/or newer version from m$)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en

Once installed, try again.

Raven1645

Raven1645

• Members
  • 21 posts

The error code means: "The referenced assembly is not installed on your system"

Obtain the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (and/or newer version from m$)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyId=32BC1BEE-A3F9-4C13-9C99-220B62A191EE&displaylang=en

Once installed, try again.

I'm downloading Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Express now.

Is that the right one?

Guest_secr9tos_*

Guest_secr9tos_*
  • Guests
You just need to click on the link I posted above, it should direct you to the download page of:
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)"

Visual Studio C++ 2010 Express is a development suite for writing applications which is not required in your case.

Raven1645

Raven1645

• Members
  • 21 posts

You just need to click on the link I posted above, it should direct you to the download page of:
"Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x86)"

Visual Studio C++ 2010 Express is a development suite for writing applications which is not required in your case.

The link doesn't work, it says javascript0void

Edit: nvm

Guest_secr9tos_*

Guest_secr9tos_*
  • Guests
Do you use browser script blockers e.g NoScript? Anyway.. when you click on the big blue download button it should work (at least it does on my side)

Raven1645

Raven1645

• Members
  • 21 posts

Do you use browser script blockers e.g NoScript? Anyway.. when you click on the big blue download button it should work (at least it does on my side)

It's installing now :) little scared because the same thing might happen as with the other downloads

Raven1645

Raven1645

• Members
  • 21 posts
Darn... The error and rollback happened again

Attached Files

Raven1645

Raven1645

• Members
  • 21 posts
any more suggestions?

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,028 posts
Are starting the applications from your Downloads folder (are where ever you DL to) or run the setup from the download manager? I always save the file, then go directly to where you saved it to run the setup.

If you do it the other way, you end up with a lot of old installers in a temp directory.

l8Ea9q8f.png

Sorry, my 3,384 images hosted with Dropbox will no longer show.

Guest_secr9tos_*

Guest_secr9tos_*
  • Guests
Well odd issue then, as m$ advices the same approach in case of that error tho:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948619

Btw did you run any PC cleaning tools which may deleted parts of WinSxS?

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

• Global Moderator
  • 3,718 posts
You'll need to check with Event Viewer, located in Control Panel, Administrative Tools.  Windows should make a error log that should describe exactly what happened.  Copy the text of the error message and enter it into a Google Search to see what others have come up with as a fix.

Alternative solution...  have you tried Microsoft Fixit?
http://support.microsoft.com/fixit/

Another alternative...  installing on top of another corrupt installation will usually fail in similiar fashion (seen this often with .NET and Java).  Uninstall ITunes first before you install the new version, make sure you have backup (check with Apple...  I do not use ITunes).

1zbfi1f.jpg

GypsyDavid

GypsyDavid

• BW9 Donator +
  • 798 posts
Try this:

Windows Installer Cleanup

http://ge.tt/2Gf6iKA?c

:biggrin: :biggrin:
GD

Raven1645

Raven1645

• Members
  • 21 posts
Thanks guys ima try those things tomorrow as it's nightime for me.

Final question:
If nothing would work, would it be possible to transfer/copy entire programs such as iTunes from one computer to another using a portable drive/USB stick? Because there aren't alot of programs I need.

GypsyDavid

GypsyDavid

• BW9 Donator +
  • 798 posts
I would use MoleBox Pro to gather all of your .dll's etc and combine then into a single .exe in your install folder, then copy your folder to a stick. :biggrin:

:biggrin: :biggrin:
GD

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

• Global Moderator
  • 3,718 posts
Try starting installer in safe mode?  Use the free program SafeMSI

http://www.windowsitpro.com/content/content/83387/SafeMSI.zip

To use SafeMSI.exe when booted to Safe Mode on any version of Windows NT (Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, etc..), just double-click or run it.

1zbfi1f.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users