Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mac Software install issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

raven2099

raven2099

• Members
  • 2 posts
my friend has a Mac laptop running Mac OS X 10.7+
and it seals any of the mack .dmg files we try to get for him (free and paid software) simply will not install it says due to the infrastructure...

is there a way to force the install or fix it

DemonDog

DemonDog

• Members
  • 22 posts
I'm not a Mac person, but maybe he is running as a limited user. Check the privileges set for his user. I know on Fedora, some appz will not install unless you have higher elevated privileges.

Posted Image

foxfauxfree

foxfauxfree

• Members
  • 2 posts
so what happens if he trys to install firefox?
yes i tried lion i ran firefox infact it ran all my apps fine (except for 2)
ps your not really runing .dmg thats a disk image think of it like a .zip file
your actually installing the app inside it
but for troblle shooting try to install firefox and report what it dose to me in a PM.

Edit by Mod: PM system will email.

eXcalibre

eXcalibre

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 43 posts
If you can not install .dmg files > can you right click the .dmg and select "view package contents"
If you can then try using pacifist to install the package to it's default location.
If you can not see or select "View package Contents" then the file is either damaged or not a .dmg file.

Give pacifist a try or let me know if you do not have it installed. - I can always post it for you.

Common Sense.... A Shame it's not too common these days.

TanMan

TanMan

System Software Forum Moderator

• 851 posts
Ah. I think I know what the problem is, but I hope this isn't too late. OS X 10.7 is Lion, and Lion ended support for PowerPC emulation. So nothing that still uses PowerPC code can be installed or run after moving to OS X Lion.

One other point. I had a damaged .iso (it was truncated, but I didn't know it at the time). When I tried to mount that ISO on the MAC it wouldn't, but Windows would. The MAC complained about an invalid B-Tree, but that message was only viewable in a log someplace deep (I don't have that Mac around anymore, so I can't check for you).

Thinking the iso just had a corrupted directory, I converted it to a bin/cue using UltraISO, then converted it back to ISO. This ISO mounted on the Mac, but when I tried the install, the Mac complained that it was a PowerPC program, and those weren't supported anymore.

Note that once I redownloaded the ISO and got the complete ISO this time, that installed fine on the Mac.

Posted Image

aben2amu

aben2amu

MacOS Section Moderator

• 84 posts
Gatekeeper might be blocking external .dmg files. Go to System Preferences, Security & Privacy, General and Allow applications dowloaded from anywhere, close it and you are set to install any .dmg you have.

Since 10.6 Snow Leopard, OS X is only intel with some UB (Universal Binaries) apps which run on PPC and Intel.

2rnvlky.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users