Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Cause: Help me brighten my town's media blackout

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

HellBlaze

HellBlaze

Tech Admin

• Administrators
  • 559 posts
Hello fellow w7v users!

As some of you may or may not know, I am a journalist. I graduated Bachelor with honors of Journalism and I am just one exam short of my Masters degree in Communicology studies. My hometown (population 40000) is in dire need of professional media portal that will cover local stories and general people problems.

Right now, there is virtually no unbiased and professional media portals/newspapers/radio stations in town. Our radio stations play MTV hits 24/7 and no news can be heard. I am one of 4 journalist in town with a degree and I can't get a job at the only newspaper here because I am not willing to put 50 hrs per week pro bono to get "educated", as they say.

I am also not willing to work as a manual laborer, growing corn and wheat after 5 years of college. Yes, that was an actual proposition from editor in chief of a local newspaper here.

Also, I do not wish to become politically active and join some party as I do not wish to lose my integrity. I believe (and I was taught, for that matter) journalists should be independent and not engage in political activities.

So my idea is to run the internet portal dedicated to unbiased and professional news from my town. To include video and audio stories right from the field. Start off small, from my room and in time expand maybe get a few local sponsors down the road so I can include few of my colleagues here.

So if you are willing to help me, you can read more about the story and join the cause here http://www.indiegogo...lcityjournalist

Thanks!

P.S. This is in no way related to W7V, this is a community cause I try to achieve, and is totally personall :)
  • Cyberstalker likes this

iiJTp3z3.png

Make sure you read the forum rules first, before you start posting.

Ako možete da razumete ovo napisano, slobodno me kontaktirajte

volvo

volvo

• Global Moderator
  • 1,371 posts
HB any chance of adding PayPal as a way to pay?

2cde6h5_zps6c93c367.png

HellBlaze

HellBlaze

Tech Admin

• Administrators
  • 559 posts
I dont think so, unless i find someone else trustworthy to collectc this for me, as i do not have a paypal in my country.

iiJTp3z3.png

ComputerDoctor

ComputerDoctor

• Global Moderator
  • 3,718 posts
Here are some other crowdfunding sites
http://www.kickstarter.com/
http://www.rockethub.com/
and read this one, she says you are paying too much (9%)!
http://www.komando.com/tips/index.aspx?id=10096&page=1

1zbfi1f.jpg

HellBlaze

HellBlaze

Tech Admin

• Administrators
  • 559 posts
Thanks for the info! I will run this until the end and if it fails, then start over at some other site!  :headbang:

iiJTp3z3.png

GypsyDavid

GypsyDavid

• BW9 Donator +
  • 798 posts
Congrats HB.  I am truly impressed :occasion14:

:biggrin: :biggrin:
GD

SWebbIT

SWebbIT

Security Software Moderator

• 299 posts
HB i have posted this on my game forums
http://forums.redlite.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=553

We don't get many visits on there but every little helps i guess.

153057p.png

HellBlaze

HellBlaze

Tech Admin

• Administrators
  • 559 posts
Thanks for spreading the word! :headbang:

iiJTp3z3.png

SWebbIT

SWebbIT

Security Software Moderator

• 299 posts
Always happy to help a fellow w7v member

153057p.png

HanoverFist

HanoverFist

Sr Member

• BW9 VIP Platinum
  • 199 posts
I don't understand what 5 yrs. of college has to do with working. If a person needs money, the best way to get it is to work. Farming is a noble occupation. Not something to be ashamed of. It does a person good to get their hands a little dirty. I've never been to college but I've worked for 30 something yrs. I'm not in need of money. It seems a little unrealistic, self centered and lazy to not be willing to earn your own money but to ask others to give it to you.

I'm sorry, but if there was a real need I would consider helping. But I can't help someone that's unwilling to help themselves. 

Posted Image

taltamir

taltamir

Sr Member

• Members
  • 138 posts
Hello, this sounds good and if done right you can end up owner and chief editor of a new media organization.

However this has the risk of it not taking off at all if you are unable to raise the funds (and decide it was due to lack of interest / caring). You see, EVERY journalist claims to be unbiased despite most of them being biased. And even if unbiased you need to actually be good at it. Beyond that there are many other hurdles. Such as becoming disappointed when things get rough and quitting outright.

The best way to prove yourself and gain further support is in my opinion to provide some examples of your work. This seems like a catch 22, where you need funds to do sample work and you need sample work to get funds. So the alternative is to see what you can do a sample of.

A cheap, used, non HD camera provides voice and video and a friend might let you use their computer a few times to make a few samples. Also you could make a few text only articles. Alternatively you could pay people a nominal fee for using (or in the case of a camera, having them use it for you so they feel safer about the state of their equipment) the necessary equipment. At which point you would have proof of your work and might find fundraising to come easier.

A properly configured chat interview doesn't get voice nuances but gives you a transcript of the dialog and is totally free (just need access to a computer).

The more work you have done already the easier it is to sell people on financing your equipment upgrades.

PS. what computer are you currently using

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users