Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Best Linux Ever? Which is the friendliest distro?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

Dahaka

Dahaka

Backup & HDD Tools Moderator

• 3,709 posts
:lol:
Oh yeah, I discovered NetRunner some time ago.  Recently I tested it and.... OMG - it's awesome!

Posted Image

It's not just about the looks, this distro has covered almost all Windows bases - drivers (it literally "sees" and activates all components), proggies, communication software - it's ownage! :headbang: :headbang: And you can install more stuff, like Chromium Browser, Krusader (instead of Total Commander), Clementine to listen to music, SMplayer for videos (but VLC is included - lol, it seems to work better under a Linux based OS). Libre Office 3.6.2 comes as preinstalled. Lots of Multimedia processing tools can be installed also.

Oh, and it runs glass effects like Windows 7, it packs lots of cursor themes, desktop appearance themes. :occasion14:
You can try it as a live DVD first and, if you love it, you can install it too.

Video Acceleration on HD videos could use some improvement (you have to play around a bit to get it working), but if you have a strong CPU - no worries.

I think it's an awesome alternative to Windows, or just save your files in case Windows doesn't boot up - it "sees" NTFS partitions.
Unlike other distros meant to replace Windows that are donationware
www.zorin-os.com

- NetRunner is free, without limits.

Here's a cool thing that I believe it does better than Windows:
there's no need to fiddle around with cloning screen options: it shows your desktop on every screen connected to the videocard, each on it's native resolution, without distorting images - as an example - my desktop screen is a Philips full HD 1920x1080, while the older TV (on the HDMI) has 1360x768 as native resolution - both screens show the desktop in their native resolution, on my Nvidia card.  :headbang:
My Nvidia card:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3113#ov

http://www.netrunner-os.com

What do you think?

What's your favourite distro and why?
  • USMale, K3N and klown07 like this

strutter

strutter

Sr Member

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 425 posts
Well I have run a lot of distros to try and have liked mint the best but I will try these and let you know.
I like Mint because it is user friendly for those of us that grew up with windows.
  • USMale likes this

cognizione

cognizione

T.A.A.B # 2

• Administrators
  • 7,428 posts

Comparison Test: Linux Mint 12 "Lisa" KDE vs. Netrunner 4.1 "Dryland" 02-09-2012

"Yes, this was a fairly shallow comparison, but I just wanted to compare the two out-of-the-box experiences while the distributions remained somewhat different. With that in mind, it is obvious that Netrunner has made a greater effort to differentiate itself from the pack; Linux Mint is really just Kubuntu with the Linux Mint branding and tools thrown in. That's why I think it is beneficial for both organizations that Netrunner and Linux Mint are now partners in developing their KDE distributions. For now, though, Netrunner has won this one."

Complete article > http://dasublogbypra...2-lisa-kde.html

Thanks for the post Dahaka, this will give some diversion until Snuffy gets Windows 8 straightened out......

:histerija:    :histerija:    :histerija:

• USMale likes this

tGX16tl.png

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts

for those of us that grew up with windows.

Oh yeah, I know the feeling. Let me know how NetRunner works for you. :headbang:

HAHA @ cognizione - damn right! :histerija: :histerija:

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,646 posts
At one time or another I've ran about every distro there is, I think. NetRunner and Zorin OS are new to me though. I will definitely check them out.

As far as Windows type Linux Distro's: I have tried... Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, and Mint. Currently running the latest Mint 14 Nadia and very happy with the results.

The thing I really like about Linux distro's are... unlike Windows... once you set up a network, it works. Even after a reboot. I've had problems Windows LAN's as far back as I can remember. That also goes the same for the rest of the software on Linux, once it's setup correct, it works. Although like anything else, it can break with updates.

Thanks for the heads-up Dahaka!

o89e9t.png

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts

Thanks for the heads-up Dahaka!

You are welcome and I'm glad to see you on this thread.

Here are some features of NetRunner:
http://www.netrunner-os.com/features/

petrossa

petrossa

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,995 posts
gonna try these two. tnx

Posted Image

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts

gonna try these two. tnx

:occasion14: :occasion14: - I merely wanted to post about NetRunner and how cool it is. I hate Zorin-OS for asking 10 euros for a "premium" version that does not even work on most systems.

:occasion14:

NetRunner has my vote for being an almost perfect Windows replacement and for being completely free - with all the bells and whistles.
  • USMale likes this

sjprg

sjprg

GFX & Images Related Software Expert

• Global Moderator
  • 1,798 posts

NetRunner has my vote for being an almost perfect Windows replacement and for being completely free - with all the bells and whistles.

Just an observation:
I've tried several distros and haven't really found a use for them in my workflow. I basically only do image processing and Gimp is so far behind the current capability of PS, DXO, IDC, NX2, PhaseOne, PhotoNinja that it is useless for anything but P&S cameras. If something better in the applications dept. is out there or if there is a distro that supports any of the above I would be happy to try again. I currently have Ubuntu 12.10 loaded on one computer but it doesn't do anything I can't do easier on my smartphone (email, internet, etc.).

Posted Image
Paul

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts
How about Mac OS? for photo and video editing? :P :headbang: :lol: :lol:

I think that if you want such cool apps for free then you'd have to wait a LOT - you can't really compare Gimp and PS - obviously the PS devs are extremely motivated finacially to create an awesome photo editing app - while Gimp is merely for people with lower needs.

However, the idea was that if I were to work under a Linux-based OS, it would have to be NetRunner as it comes pretty close to all the basic needs a user can have.

jimmydee

jimmydee

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 222 posts
I'll give it a try hopefully it will be more user friendly then the others. I've spent my entire life with windows and would like to find something else that I could replace it with.
  • Dahaka likes this

2qlv41s.png

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts
Warning - backup all your Partitions and data before installing any new operating system on your PC. 8)

petrossa

petrossa

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,995 posts
I go VM first always. I'm mostly interested in the NTFS capacities of linux distro's. I've about 5 tb NTFS i'm not about to convert no matter what.

Posted Image

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts

I go VM first always. I'm mostly interested in the NTFS capacities of linux distro's. I've about 5 tb NTFS i'm not about to convert no matter what.

NetRunner "sees" NTFS partitions. :biggrin: That's how I played some music and video files when I tested it.
But I would put any Linux distro on a smaller HDD, separately, and keep my already existing files on my NTFS drives.

This NetRunner distro seems to love the EXT4 type of Linux partitions.

petrossa

petrossa

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,995 posts
it's still downloading  :eek:

Posted Image

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts
:arrow: SIZE: ~1.5 GB

If you run Netrunner in a VirtualBox for testing, please use the 32bit version, 8GB disk space and 1024 MB RAM.

petrossa

petrossa

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,995 posts
installing now
  • USMale likes this

Posted Image

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,646 posts
Oh Dahaka, so you don't care for the Zorin OS? I was kind of wondering about that when I saw that they had paid distro's. I think I'll skip Zorin and just try NetRunner when I get the time.

o89e9t.png

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts

Oh Dahaka, so you don't care for the Zorin OS? I was kind of wondering about that when I saw that they had paid distro's. I think I'll skip Zorin and just try NetRunner when I get the time.

You can try and decide for yourself - which one you like - I just found it rather irritating that they want money for something that breaks or does not work as "advertised", in the case of Zorin OS - they do have a free version but as usual, without the premium drivers and apps - which sucks.

With NetRunner you get what you see on their website  and some bonus that you discover by using it.

jimmydee

jimmydee

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 222 posts
I just tried it earlier today and booted up from cd very nice. Want to play with it more before I actually do an install but I was impressed with it. Reminds me a lot like windows. Good one.

2qlv41s.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users