Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Best Linux Ever? Which is the friendliest distro?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

petrossa

petrossa

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,995 posts
Netstarter looks pretty slick. I'll see if i dare install it next to my several windows installs, since i probably will have to reactivate them all.

Posted Image

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Dahaka

Dahaka

Backup & HDD Tools Moderator

• 3,709 posts
Cool. Like I said - I would put it on another HDD of its own - so that file systems don't interfere. :headbang:

strutter

strutter

Sr Member

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 425 posts

Cool. Like I said - I would put it on another HDD of its own - so that file systems don't interfere. :headbang:

Yeah, I did a LiveCD and it looks great. I had issues with a side by side install though. I have a separate HDD for it but it keeps saying no root file system or something of the sort. Not sure yet what the problem is since I can run Mint with no issues. I partitioned it using Ext4 to no avail. I will keep working on it though.

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts

Yeah, I did a LiveCD and it looks great. I had issues with a side by side install though. I have a separate HDD for it but it keeps saying no root file system or something of the sort. Not sure yet what the problem is since I can run Mint with no issues. I partitioned it using Ext4 to no avail. I will keep working on it though.

Try to format that separate hdd with Disk Director 11, with the ext3 format.
Disconnect your HDD, connect only the separate HDD, do the formatting and Netrunner Installing. Shut down computer, reconnect your primary HDD.

Done!

See if that helps:

Acronis True Image Home 2013 build 6514 Plus Pack & Disk Director 11 + more.iso

441MB

Posted Image
http://www.share-byte.net/ctyALp

petrossa

petrossa

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,995 posts

How do i make it read NTFS?

Screenshot shows the NTFS drive mounted, it sees the size but can't enter it. Has all permissions.
Posted Image

Posted Image

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts
is your NTFS drive encrypted?

I could see NTFS partions made by Windows 8 even.

Install Krusader file manager.

However you are looking at the root drive in that image - so you should see it and what it contains.

Have you installed NetRunner side by side with Windows on the same HDD? Is it in Live CD mode on a Virtual Machine?
Tell me what have you done exactly.

petrossa

petrossa

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,995 posts
it's not encrypted, Netstarter is still in VirtualBox. The drive is mounted using: mount -t vboxsf share . Which is the way Vbox prescribes to mount drives in linux. Works in any other OS that can read NTFS, i even had access running OSX Leopard.

Posted Image

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts
LOL, you're not even using VMWare - Virtual boxes.... some things work, some don't.

Here are some screencaps from my Notebook - NetRunner running (no pun intended) from a super-fast memory stick.
No virtual machines were involved in the making of these screencaps.

Posted Image

[img width=500 height=281]http://s10.postimg.org/radd9yqhl/image2.png[/img]

[img width=500 height=281]http://s10.postimg.org/m0czwevmh/image3.png[/img]

[img width=500 height=281]http://s10.postimg.org/rpt8gq1sp/image4.png[/img]

sps

sps

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 63 posts

:lol:

What do you think?

What's your favourite distro and why?

After using/trying many distros like, (x)ubuntu's, debian, mint, mint-debian, pclos, etc..., 2 years ago I moved to arch (archlinux), I think it is the ultimate distro (at least for me.... !)
Actually I love the " arch way" : https://wiki.archlin...hp/The_Arch_Way where devs compile the packages and apps the way the are supposed to work, instead the way "they think it should be", like ubuntu does, patching and modifying everything. You can add any desktop environment at will.
It is a bit difficult to learn and install, but once you get to it you never look back

BW9loverSmall_zps4a7056be.png

Sandwichman

Sandwichman

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,067 posts

The_Arch_Way where devs compile the packages and apps the way the are supposed to work, instead the way "they think it should be", like ubuntu does, patching and modifying everything. You can add any desktop environment at will.
It is a bit difficult to learn and install, but once you get to it you never look back

SPS you are right but basically that distro is for the Linux snobs that really don't want the everyday user in their exclusive ecosystem. If you really want to learn linux then definitely go with Arch, but if you just want a good user experience then go with Ubuntu.

2lc5gqq.png

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts
Thanks sps for pointing out ArchLinux - it was a worthy candidate - I wasn't a big fan of their philosophy:

Arch Philosophy, perhaps best summarized by the acronym KISS for Keep It Simple, Stupid.

Stupid? Why? Is ArchLinux supposed to be used by dump people? I don't think so. It's just a matter of getting used to doing things in a new way.
It does not mean the use of GUIs instead of consoles is something done by less smarter people.

There was a joke about US marines on a submarine using Windows - they were asked why - and they said they would hate to have the X server (Linux graphics server) die on them just when they would have perform important tactical operations. :histerija:

But hey, it's my turn now to check out ArchLinux again - I'm going to follow your recommendation and report back here.

[glow=red,2,300]Later Edit[/glow]
I was curious about the interface - but this 2013-04-01 latest version boots into the choices menu and when I selected the Live environment and expected to see how it performs, it merely loaded drivers and then it stopped at:

root@archiso -  :histerija: no luck for me I guess. I read on their website that they dropped the graphical installer - so "text-mode" all  the way.

sps

sps

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 63 posts
@Dahaka: After you get it installed it becomes really simple to update and add/remove apps; if you really wanna try it again, check out this script:

https://github.com/helmuthdu/aui (Archlinux Ultimate Install Script) and also: https://bbs.archlinu...?id=130515&p=1. Be sure to read both initial options on how to use it correctly!

The guy really did a good job (I even donated ), it simplifies A LOT the initial partitioning and installing, You can even install your prefered DE, network, etc...
If you need any help let me know....

@Sandwichman: I'm not a snob,  I was just answering the OP question: "What's your favourite distro and why?"
 Post Merge: [time]1365812485[/time] 

[glow=red,2,300]Later Edit[/glow]
I was curious about the interface - but this 2013-04-01 latest version boots into the choices menu and when I selected the Live environment and expected to see how it performs, it merely loaded drivers and then it stopped at:

root@archiso -  :histerija: no luck for me I guess. I read on their website that they dropped the graphical installer - so "text-mode" all  the way.

That's were that script goes on... I'll boot it the new iso and report back to you with simple steps in a few minutes...

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts

@Dahaka: After you get it installed it becomes really simple to update and add/remove apps; if you really wanna try it again, check out this script

required

- A working internet connection
- Logged in as 'root'

Internet may not always be available.... so what then?

A small request: nobody is calling you a snob, I do not want people fighting here :histerija: - it's just the frustration of seeing the "text-mode" that makes people "run" from Unix-like systems. But even in Windows you do some "commanding" sometimes.

NetRunner is a clear-cut case of research and study (with good sponsorship) - of how the setup should look, act and work. It's quite obvious they are aiming at windows users - and to tell you the truth, if things go south with Windows 9, I might consider NetRunner permanently.

That's were that script goes on... I'll boot it the new iso and report back to you with simple steps in a few minutes...

Post some screenshots, please.  8)

sps

sps

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 63 posts

required

Internet may not always be available.... so what then?

A small request: nobody is calling you a snob, I do not want people fighting here :histerija: - it's just the frustration of seeing the "text-mode" that makes people "run" from Unix-like systems. But even in Windows you do some "commanding" sometimes.

NetRunner is a clear-cut case of research and study (with good sponsorship) - of how the setup should look, act and work. It's quite obvious they are aiming at windows users - and to tell you the truth, if things go south with Windows 9, I might consider NetRunner permanently.

Post some screenshots, please.  8)

Well, you will really need a live internet connection for this first install, I suggest you try first in VM
After you get the prompt, the steps are
dhcpcd < activate network (tab will help you)
then by instructions on the aui page:
==============================
With git:
Upgrade your system: pacman -Syu
Install git: pacman -S git
get the script: git clone git://github.com/helmuthdu/aui

How to use
ais mode: cd <dir> && ./aui --ais
================================
After the first reboot, login as root and cd to the same dir and type
./aui

Hope it helps, good luck!

ps. never tried netrunner, I thimk they are sponsoring Kubuntu by now, aren't they? Kubuntu is great, used it in the past, now I run arch with kde as desktop environment.

ps2. http://www.netrunner...tu-partnership/ actualy Blue Systems is the mother company sponsoring both

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts
Yep, Blue Systems is their sponsor.

Here's a great article about Linux:

Why Nokia and Linux failed, so far
http://netrunner-mag.com/?p=2603

sps

sps

• BeyondWindows9 Lover
  • 63 posts

Yep, Blue Systems is their sponsor.

Here's a great article about Linux:

Why Nokia and Linux failed, so far

http://netrunner-mag.com/?p=2603

TY, good reading!

edit: I forgot to mention, there is an arch live you can try, bridge linux, but a bit outdated...

http://millertechnol.../downloads.html

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts

TY, good reading!

edit: I forgot to mention, there is an arch live you can try, bridge linux, but a bit outdated...

http://millertechnol.../downloads.html

You're welcome - and I will try that Archie Live  :mrgreen:

[glow=orange,2,300]Later edit
[/glow]
OK - I was impressed by that Bridge Linux - the Arch based distro - but apparently I could not find the transparency effects for windows, instead I found the blue light of the edges of the windows very pleasing.

Sandwichman

Sandwichman

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,067 posts

@Sandwichman: I'm not a snob,  I was just answering the OP question: "What's your favourite distro and why?"
 Post Merge: [time]1365812485[/time] That's were that script goes on... I'll boot it the new iso and report back to you with simple steps in a few minutes...

Sorry if you took it that way, but I wasn't calling you a snob, it was just a statement meaning that it's an exclusive environment that can have somewhat of an elitist crowd.

2lc5gqq.png

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,646 posts
Yes I've tried Arch myself exclusively to use ZoneMinder... and Arch is definitely what I would call bare-bones. :razz:

o89e9t.png

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,709 posts

Arch is definitely what I would call bare-bones. :razz:

yep, that's what I would say too.

talking about interfaces - here's a piece of Aero news  :histerija:
http://beyondwindows...php?topic=33501

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users