Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Best Linux Ever? Which is the friendliest distro?

• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

petrossa

petrossa

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,995 posts

is your NTFS drive encrypted?

I could see NTFS partions made by Windows 8 even.

Install Krusader file manager.

However you are looking at the root drive in that image - so you should see it and what it contains.

Have you installed NetRunner side by side with Windows on the same HDD? Is it in Live CD mode on a Virtual Machine?
Tell me what have you done exactly.

Weird. If i run su in terminal i can ls the drive fine, but from KDE no way i can read it. Does that mean i should login KDE as superuser?. If so, how?

Posted Image

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Dahaka

Dahaka

Backup & HDD Tools Moderator

• 3,750 posts

Does that mean i should login KDE as superuser?. If so, how?

Here's a thought - add that NTFS drive as a shared network drive - from the "add shared drives" interface.

If you have seen my screenshots on a live machine and the NTFS partitions were seen - I'm not sure about your virtual machine setup.
Just burn the iso on a DVD and try it in Live mode on your PC , not Virtual Box - and then tell me if you can see that NTFS partition. There are no changes on your system or your HDD if you try NetRunner in live mode.

petrossa

petrossa

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,995 posts

Here's a thought - add that NTFS drive as a shared network drive - from the "add shared drives" interface.

If you have seen my screenshots on a live machine and the NTFS partitions were seen - I'm not sure about your virtual machine setup.
Just burn the iso on a DVD and try it in Live mode on your PC , not Virtual Box - and then tell me if you can see that NTFS partition. There are no changes on your system or your HDD if you try NetRunner in live mode.

Ok, ran it Live. First i had to degum my dvddrive which hadn't been opened in such a long time it was stuck.  :mrgreen: Drives are are accessible without problems. Overall nice impression, if i would use it only for the every day stuff on a single monitor system i'd use it. Multiple monitor support is not very good. Pity about openGL windows graphics effects, they really suck big time.

Yeah, not bad at all for an average user as windows alternative. It pretty much works the same way, you feel at home if you come from MS windows.

Posted Image

There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,750 posts

Overall nice impression, if i would use it only for the every day stuff on a single monitor system i'd use it. Multiple monitor support is not very good. Pity about openGL windows graphics effects, they really suck big time.
Yeah, not bad at all for an average user as windows alternative. It pretty much works the same way, you feel at home if you come from MS windows.

Finally!  :headbang: Victory!  :lol:

I believe it could be a "hit or miss" thing with the monitors that do not have certain firmware - I used until recently an ASUS monitor, a 19 inch one. It kept showing the 1024x768 resolution... Pissed me off to some point that I bought a new Philips full hd 1920x1080 and it worked out of the box - no tweaking required. I put a TV @ 1360x768 on HDMI. So my setup has both TV and Monitor on HDMi connections - each on its native resolution and NetRunner showed the Live desktop on both screens, each on its native resolution without distortion - in clone mode - but I believe it's a hybrid type of cloning - as there is not the same resolution on both screens, however - the desktop shows no signs of distortion on each. That's really where I got crazy hooked into NetRunner: it clearly does some things better than Windows. :headbang: :headbang:

Well now, if you like it, you can install it on a separate HDD - that should be connected on its own on installing NetRunner and then - reconnect your NTFS HDDs.

It's just that Linux based operating systems have a different way of partitioning - so if NetRunner it stays on a HDD of its own - it certainly won't even touch other drives with data while installing.

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,647 posts
OK I got a dual monitor setup. I am starting a NetRunner torrent right now. So once I get it I will see if it works with my system in dual monitor setup. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'll try from the Live-cd first. Although I may need to use different graphic drivers to make it work, than the build drivers for my ATI HD-6970? So that may require an install?

o89e9t.png

petrossa

petrossa

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,995 posts

OK I got a dual monitor setup. I am starting a NetRunner torrent right now. So once I get it I will see if it works with my system in dual monitor setup. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'll try from the Live-cd first. Although I may need to use different graphic drivers to make it work, than the build drivers for my ATI HD-6970? So that may require an install?

Dibs on your ATI drivers  :mrgreen:

Posted Image

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,750 posts

Although I may need to use different graphic drivers to make it work, than the build drivers for my ATI HD-6970? So that may require an install?

Usually, it should work out of the box in live-dvd mode. I don't have an ATi(AMD) card - I got an Nvidia one. But it's nothing to lose if you try it on your system. Let me know how it goes.

petrossa

petrossa

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,995 posts

Well now, if you like it, you can install it on a separate HDD - that should be connected on its own on installing NetRunner and then - reconnect your NTFS HDDs.

I need to look into the multi-monitor handling first. So i'll let slacker do that since he has the same card as i do  :P It clones fine, but i want one desktop as in windows the extended mode. I managed only linking the 2 ports, but then display port 0 always becomes the default screen. The card got recognized fine.

Posted Image

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,647 posts

I need to look into the multi-monitor handling first. So i'll let slacker do that since he has the same card as i do  :P It clones fine, but i want one desktop as in windows the extended mode. I managed only linking the 2 ports, but then display port 0 always becomes the default screen. The card got recognized fine.

I think Dahaka mentioned something about using x86 for Live cd? I figured that out myself too, couldn't get x64 Live cd to boot.

Anyway I did get x86 to boot. So first thing I did was go to System Settings/Display and Monitors. There I saw two Monitors in the list. (I have two monitors, one in Center and one on my Right) Since the second monitor in the list was the one on the right, I went to that 'Position' menu and chose "to the right" then Apply. That gave me an extended desktop to my right, but without a desktop background. The good thing is it does work like an extended desktop. I was able to move my windows to and from the different screens.

Sorry to say that is as far as I can get. Every time I try to go beyond that my computer freezes. I may try to install to a HDD, I'm thinking I will not have the freeze/lockup problem if I do that. Also right now I can't say how to either extend or duplicate the desktop background because of the lockup.

So I guess I will give a try installing x64 to a HDD. Then I'll see how far I can go.

o89e9t.png

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,750 posts

So I guess I will give a try installing x64 to a HDD. Then I'll see how far I can go.

Yep. Good idea. I did that and it worked even smoother. In any case - good luck and tell us how it went for you.

Haich

Haich

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 852 posts
Well got netrunner to boot but if I try to install (and a few other options) it freezes. Trying on a P4 3.2Ghz with a gig of ram and an ole nvidia 32mb 3d card. Guess I'll have to do a bit of tinkering :banghead:

Tele14.png

music is medicine for the soul

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,647 posts
Well I keep playing with it, but keep getting locked/freeze. Not sure if this is a graphic driver problem or what. Tried to do an Update... had a lot of updates listed... but froze during update. I'll see if I can get to some log files.

This was the x86 build since I could never get the x64 to boot. I tried it on DVD and USB key using ImageWriter suggested by NetRunner site, standard mode and safe mode. Nothing worked. This is on my main PC with the newest most up to date, high-end hardware. I may try on another older PC and see how that goes? Maybe it's just this latest build?

I even tried to back down some of my OC settings, NetRunner seemed to lock up faster with the lower settings. Surprised me! :eek:  I would suggest NetRunner have a known stable build available before they try to attract the Windows only users.

If I was to suggest a Linux build for a Windows user today, it would be the Latest Mint build. I think it's 14 something or other? NetRunner looks like it will be good, but needs a little work. I hope I can get those updates to install to see if it fixes the freeze problems.

o89e9t.png

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,750 posts

If I was to suggest a Linux build for a Windows user today, it would be the Latest Mint build. I think it's 14 something or other? NetRunner looks like it will be good, but needs a little work. I hope I can get those updates to install to see if it fixes the freeze problems.

Many thanks for sharing your experience!

What system do you have? Can you share the specs?

It's Linux Mint Nadia 14 - I'll check out the KDE version to see how it fares.

However,  :lol: someone told me about a MAC OS style Linux - Fudubuntu -
http://fuduntu.sourceforge.net/gallery.html
- it's worth a live  preview in a Virtual VMWare machine.

[glow=red,2,300]LATER Edit:[/glow]

I could replicate the freezing issues you have but only on a usb-stick - which was not very good at write-read speed. On my setup I used an older WD passport drive - acts like a stick, but works as a HDD and I did not experience any lockups.

petrossa

petrossa

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,995 posts

Tnx for sharing  :icon_pai: Since i have the same graphics card as you i guess i won't bother trying. Pity. Looks really nice on Live. When i had it installed in VirtualBox is started to download a shitload of upgrades but it got stuck somewhere in the updating process. It never froze though in normal use, but since i couldn't  'see ' my NFTS drives i couldn't really play with it. I'll give it a go in VMWare.

Posted Image

slacker

slacker

Dain Bramaged ɔǝlɐ ʇɹɐɯs

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,647 posts

Many thanks for sharing your experience!

What system do you have? Can you share the specs?

It's Linux Mint Nadia 14 - I'll check out the KDE version to see how it fares.

However,  :lol: someone told me about a MAC OS style Linux - Fudubuntu -

http://fuduntu.sourceforge.net/gallery.html
- it's worth a live  preview in a Virtual VMWare machine.

[glow=red,2,300]LATER Edit:[/glow]

I could replicate the freezing issues you have but only on a usb-stick - which was not very good at write-read speed. On my setup I used an older WD passport drive - acts like a stick, but works as a HDD and I did not experience any lockups.

It could be a number of things, as with any install. Also could be a corrupt x64 torrent. I am still going to check it out and would not disregard NetRunner as a possible Windows replacement OS. All I am saying is, as of today I would have recommended Mint, knowing it is stable. At least from what I've seen so far.

Yep Petrossa, mine did the same as yours, stopping somewhere near the middle of Updates. Only difference is, mine froze the computer. I'm still going to play with it... until it really pisses me off. :razz:

o89e9t.png

petrossa

petrossa

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,995 posts
In vmware it works fine so far. Also sharing NTFS drives. Also playing with it till it get stale  :P

Posted Image

Dahaka

Dahaka

• 3,750 posts

In vmware it works fine so far.:P

I told you so.  :biggrin:

So far I would still recommend NetRunner to many of my friends that are Windows users. :headbang:

[glow=red,2,300]Later edit:[/glow]
I tried out Linux Mint Nadia (14) - the software packages were ok - but it couldn't "see" my printer out of the box. (on netRunner I could print as I booted up live)
Also - it's the same old KDE Linux Mint Interface since 2 versions ago - not much changed.
A blue mint chewing gum is recommended while trying this OS - it makes you feel relaxed and fresh. :razz:

tammerlane

tammerlane

Village Idiot

• BW9 Donator +
  • 422 posts
I have been following this thread with some interest. I have tried several versions of Netrunner. The problems I have had with Netrunner are illustrative of the problems I have had with the other distros I've tried (and I've tried very many). Lack of support for Nvidia and Ati cards. To be fair it would be proper to say that it is Nvidia and Ati that do not support Linux well. Currently I have an Ati Radeon HD5670. Most distros support the video output well enough, even with multimonitor - but few of the distros support the audio output from this card. Installation of the proprietary driver rarely goes well. Additionally, the support for Truecrypt is pretty flaky at times, and I have 6 drives encrypted with Truecrypt. I should point out that judicious use of CLI can fix most problems - but I don't like to use CLI or DOS commands anymore. I feel that Linux relies too heavily on the terminal. Many people in the Linux community use this to keep out Windows users. Yet the inventor of Linux, Linus Torvalds, states clearly that Linux must win the hearts and minds of Windows users if it is to be more widely used. Just my 2 cents. tammerlane.

Posted Image

cognizione

cognizione

T.A.A.B # 2

• Administrators
  • 7,520 posts
"A blue mint chewing gum is recommended while trying this OS - it makes you feel relaxed and fresh. :razz:"

Dahaka, does this work for windows 8 users? If so, could you send that

semi-retired pirate a case of it......                           

:histerija:    :histerija:  :histerija:

tGX16tl.png

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

petrossa

petrossa

• BW9 Donator +
  • 1,995 posts

I should point out that judicious use of CLI can fix most problems - but I don't like to use CLI or DOS commands anymore. I feel that Linux relies too heavily on the terminal. Many people in the Linux community use this to keep out Windows users. Yet the inventor of Linux, Linus Torvalds, states clearly that Linux must win the hearts and minds of Windows users if it is to be more widely used. Just my 2 cents. tammerlane.

Yeah, my idea too. If you just look at the vmware tools install script the mind boggles. I did my stint of CPM and DOS but Linux is a whole other dimension of obscure CLI syntax.

Nowadays that'll scare anyone but a diehard linux fan away. The system should be productive, it isn't if you have spend hours concocting scripts to get basic things done.

Still netstarter is good enough for mom/pop use on basic computers. A bit with Lindows was supposed to be.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users