Welcome to Beyond Windows 9 - Portal to the Future
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Odd action from UAC

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

volvo

volvo

• Global Moderator
  • 1,371 posts

I have posted this here although it is not really a cry for help as it can be lived with but if someone has a fix please post.

From a few updates back UAC does not show when you open a program which needs it's permission but hides behind whatever is on screen, a double click on the taskbar and it is there, as I say not hard to live with but I forget at times and then wonder why the program has not started when in fact it has but is waiting for me to click on "yes" in UAC  which I can't see.

Any idea why when needed UAC does not automatically become the "focus window" it used to?

As my wife uses this PC and is a fan of social networking I do not trust her to not click on a "bad" link so UAC is part of my protection along with AV, malware stoppers and firewall so please don't tell me to just turn off UAC. 

• Snuffy, dave, alfreire and 6 others like this

2cde6h5_zps6c93c367.png

dhjohns

dhjohns

Exalted

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,352 posts

Which OS is she using?  Perhaps you could try turning it up a notch.

• Snuffy, frenchie, >CyberGhosT and 2 others like this

WQzxyjG7.png

volvo

volvo

• Global Moderator
  • 1,371 posts

legit Windows 10 x64 pro 

The main user is me my wife has her own laptop but uses this one on occasion so as I say it is a bit of belt and braces just in case.

UAC is set for 30% at the moment and works fine apart from hiding the dialog box, I have set it higher and lower and at all settings the same things happens. It may not even be an event with UAC but some other GFX program (I do run the black theme)

thanks for the suggestion DHJ  

• Snuffy, cognizione, Tetley and 5 others like this

2cde6h5_zps6c93c367.png

dhjohns

dhjohns

Exalted

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,352 posts

I run the Black Theme, also.  But I do have the UAC set at the lowest possible level.  I just reset to recommended, and opened the command prompt as administrator.  The UAC behaved properly.  I am using the newest Insider Build.  I googled, but was unable to find any answer.

• volvo, Tetley, frenchie and 3 others like this

WQzxyjG7.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 15,093 posts

here is what I would try.

1. turn off UAC the normal method.

2. shutdown computer

3. wait 1 min then restart computer

4. (make this bat or cmd file

UAC default setting

---------------------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin"=dword:00000002
----------------------------------

click and merge into. and next time it failes to open properly.

simply remerge the file. reboot and all should be well.   this goes way way back on UAC

-------------------------------

back in 2007 beta testers were given this:  to test on several different thing MS wanted tested.

-------------------------------------

Disable UAC

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

Enable UAC

C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /k %windir%\System32\reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

After you enable or disable UAC, you will have to reboot your computer for the changes to take effect.

• volvo, cognizione, Tetley and 5 others like this

PM07fvlP.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,037 posts

Yes volvo, I've seen & have been irritated by the UAC (hiding) behavior on my fully updated W10 LTSB 2016, so only turn it on to it's 25-30% level (lowest ON mode) when using the Store for research, which is the only app that I occasionally use that requires it.

Leaving it on at all times isn't an option, since there is no "always allow option" to run startup programs or regularly run programs, so it's off @ most times, regardless of the hiding "feature" that leaves it behind your attempted startup of a program or any other windows you might have open.

• volvo, cognizione, frenchie and 4 others like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

Sorry, my 3,384 images hosted with Dropbox will no longer show.

dhjohns

dhjohns

Exalted

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,352 posts

Leaving it on at all times isn't an option, since there is no "always allow option" to run startup programs or regularly run programs, so it's off @ most times, regardless of the hiding "feature" that leaves it behind your attempted startup of a program or any other windows you might have open.

Here is where you set it.  It is on, and you would never, ever know it.  This is the "always allow option."

screenshot_7.png

• volvo, dave, frenchie and 3 others like this

WQzxyjG7.png

dave

dave

Senior Administrator

• Administrators
  • 13,037 posts

Maybe so. The Store now opens. It used to keep spinning when set there. Goes to show how often I use the Store. 

I do have auto login into my M$ account going, since I'm lazy by nature.  :histerija:

• Snuffy, volvo, frenchie and 4 others like this

l8Ea9q8f.png

Sorry, my 3,384 images hosted with Dropbox will no longer show.

dhjohns

dhjohns

Exalted

• BW9 Donator +
  • 6,352 posts

Maybe so. The Store now opens. It used to keep spinning when set there. Goes to show how often I use the Store. 

I do have auto login into my M$ account going, since I'm lazy by nature.  :histerija:

I have always had it at that setting since it was introduced.

• Snuffy, volvo, cognizione and 4 others like this

WQzxyjG7.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 15,093 posts

Actually there are more than 7 different settings for UAC. and since HE wants to Continue the USE UAC because his WIFE is Primary Operator.

and since MS has had different Issues with UAC for a very long time.  and MS says that anything you do to UAC should follow with a REBOOT to RESET.

I still recommend he use "merge" SET to DEFAULT and reboot. to see if this corrects the issue.

• volvo, Tetley, frenchie and 2 others like this

PM07fvlP.png

volvo

volvo

• Global Moderator
  • 1,371 posts

Thank you all, I will try the suggestions but at the moment I am looking to recover some lost files in an old 5tb external back up drive so while that is running I can't switch off the PC :roll:    

• Snuffy, dave, cognizione and 4 others like this

2cde6h5_zps6c93c367.png

Snuffy

Snuffy

Senior Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 15,093 posts

Lets hope the OLD Recovery - does it best work. :)

• volvo, frenchie, >CyberGhosT and 1 other like this

PM07fvlP.png

>CyberGhosT

>CyberGhosT

Sr Member

• BW9 Donator +
  • 469 posts

Honestly, with the UAC exploits (Bypasses) available now,

I rely on VoodooShield as my surrogate UAC, I have not run with UAC

for 2 yrs. now.

If you choose this option just setup VS and in the options Password protect

VS and your good to go. It requires very little in the way of a "learning curve"

and I have been involved with it and Dan from the first beta trial. Try it, you

will thank me later ;)

I am also right now involved with the beta of SparkCognitions

DeepArmor, which is soon to be another heavy hitter that's

going to make waves very soon.

• Snuffy, fabjr and frenchie like this

Bar_022017.png

"Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?."- Steve Polyak

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users